Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou unit 20a

Default Caribou unit 20a

i was happy to see i got drawn for what looks like a decent caribou hunt. just wondering if anyone had any advice or input on this hunt. i dont know a whole lot about the area and any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Default I am curious too

The old man drew this tag and I was hoping to hear some info also. Someone has to have experience in this area. Any help is appreciated and I would like to thank anyone who responds in advance for their time.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Guys i know the area and also have a kid with the tag ( for her second time).. Don Young is the Fairbanks Biologist on this herd.. and has tons of info... but i will tell you the same he will for BEST results this is fly in. this herd is VERY limited by the road there are a few walk in points but do not be picky as the first bull may be the only bull. last year only 34 tags got filled. this is a very hard area to hunt.. and would recomend a sheep tag in your pocket as well.. your hunting bou IN sheep country and they are harvest for sheep full curl or larger.. you never know what will get run off a ridge by you.

watch for bears. they will not open unitl 9/1/2010 and there are lots of them

don't waste your time trying to hunt of the rex trail or ferry trail they have not been there in YEARS.. the bou calf over in 13 and head towards Delta in the fall. infact it is the Delt herd we're hunting.

if you can fly.. you will have a chance at a HUGE troghy bull bou... they are nice in there!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince who do you recommend to fly in with? my Wife and Daughter were drawn for these tags. I was looking at the rex trail and taking it as far as it would go and hike in with them? But you said they are no where near these trails... I was already thinking about a Sheep tag.

Default Thanks a lot for the help

I was thinking flying in would be the best option but I was still thinking the rex trail might be worth considering. I appreciate your time and help on the matter.

Well it looks like I will make a couple of trips of their for scouting pruposes. Long ways to go for a scouting trip but I better casue I have a feeling flying two adults and a kid is going to be expensive. But that is a back up plan how many kids can say they did a fly in hunt in the lower 48. So if anyone else drew this tag in the anchorage/valley area and want to go scout this area let me know I have a Dodge, trailer you just need to bring your own 4 wheeler and a good attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Guys i know the area and also have a kid with the tag ( for her second time).. Don Young is the Fairbanks Biologist on this herd.. and has tons of info... but i will tell you the same he will for BEST results this is fly in. this herd is VERY limited by the road there are a few walk in points but do not be picky as the first bull may be the only bull. last year only 34 tags got filled. this is a very hard area to hunt..

don't waste your time trying to hunt of the rex trail or ferry trail they have not been there in YEARS.. the bou calf over in 13 and head towards Delta in the fall. infact it is the Delt herd we're hunting.

Amen to that. I drew this tag my first year I started hunting (which wasn't too lon ago). I went to F&G to ask about access points, and Bortje told me that I could take the Ferry trail in since a fly in hunt is out of the question for me. So I rounded up a quad each from one of my friends, and a trailer from another, and drove down to the ferry trail and it **** near killed my old beater 2WD truck but we made it only to find out from an old drunken miner named Curly that the boo hadn't been there in 20 years.

A buddy of mine drew the same tag and he had another friend fly him into the Japan hills, dropped him smack in the middle of the herd (well, not literally, but from the pictures it sure seemed like it compared to my hunt...) and he got one as soon as he was able.

It was still a fun trip though. And I got my first boo up the Dalton a year later.

Default Scouting trips

I will probably try to fly the area before I actually go in. Is there no way to get back in toward the aforementioned Japan Hills on ATV or AATV?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter View Post
    I will probably try to fly the area before I actually go in. Is there no way to get back in toward the aforementioned Japan Hills on ATV or AATV?
    Only if you can swim it is a hard hard hard way to go around the CUA in the area... here is the unit map
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...p=dc827&gmu=20
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

wow that does look like some tough access. ive seen some of that country thru there and no joke its rugged. Good luck to everyone on filling thier tags.

Release Lake Trout

A few years ago I got one in the upper healy creek drainage and then 3 years later I got another off the ferry trail. Two years ago I took my little sister in to healy creek and she got a nice bull, we seen several nice bulls on the back side of the usibelli coal mine, but with the new larger 4-wheelers we could not get across the ferry bridge to get too them. Their there just few and far between.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Default Need an airplane

The caribou have not been near the ferry trail in years. Never saw 1 bou when drawn in 04 off ferry. Be careful about the rex, thought it was closed for a time last year. Rex trail can be very bad. Saw a few on the upper wood river last year. In 08 had a tag but saw no bulls near the trident glacier, so I got a moose.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Alaskantrapper,

Those caribou you have in the freezer must be a figment of your imagination......
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Can anyone recommend a good fly in service?

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good fly in service?
    Try Ray Atkins in Cantwell.

Default bou

i drew this tag this year. last year my brother-in-law drew it and he bagged a bou. if anyone can tell me if there is access to the herd for the Delta side, besides flying. that is not an option. i am really familiar with both the ferry and usabeili sides but not the healy creek side. my first year to go down the ferry trai, i saw the biggest bou i have ever seen in my life. i was about 22 miles in and i saw for of them. it was only 4 years ago. i know of some trail to go down to head up the mountains on the ferry, but not sure whats behind them.

Default first quote

super cub out of cantwell or healy 300 per hour ~ 650 each way for two people and gear going in... three trips coming out with a bou ~ 800

meet on face book here

Default fly in

can be done for fairley cheap. As well as access with an ATV send me a pm and I will give you my phone number, maybe we can trade some info! lol.

Default Ferry trail...

Was drawn for moose last year (Dm770). We put lots of miles on our 4wheelers. We did see lots of caribou tracks on the south east side of Jumbo Dome. Tracks obviously show there are some around there, but I would imagine they don't taste too good and aren't very impresive above the fireplace. Good luck to you!

Is there any way to get a Mudd-Ox (Argo on steriods) around that ferry bridge to get on the old ferry trail? Or do you have to have 4wheelers without big mudders on to get across? I hear it is pretty narrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast