Thread: My Pan Lube method...

Default My Pan Lube method...

After reading, experimenting, learning and making a few messes this winter here's what I've come up with at this point. Maybe this will help others along the journey to a messless pan lube system.

Boolits are sized and gas checks put on in a Lee Sizer die. Cheap but effective.

90 of the little buggers all lined out nice and purdy with my homemade "Sticky Blue" lube poured in.

I cut off the bottom of an old trekking pole until I got to where it would just slip over the .452 boolits. The tube tapers so it gets larger towards the top. I ground the tip down to make a sharper cutting edge.

Last edited by Snyd; 04-10-2010 at 23:22.

It's long enough to get a good grip on it and holds ten of these 355gr Hammers. When they start popping out the top I just flip the tube and dump em out into 45 acp ammo boxes I scrounged at the range.

When I'm done I wipe off the bases of any excess lube and call it good. When it's time to load I just put em on a board and flip it over and they all stand there at attention just waiting to be deployed in their respective cases full of H110 . Some may have some lube smeared on the boolit above the crimp groove from the ride down the tube. I just wipe it off when I stick it in the case.

Last edited by Snyd; 04-10-2010 at 23:24.

Clever! Are you going to run those in the Bisley? I knew I should have picked one up when they were making them. Alas, I have to make do with my Bisley Vaquero.

Yup, already have been. A little over 1200fps, about a 2 inch group at 50yds with the scope last time out.

Thats nice work, Perry. A good feeling making your own bullets and loads, huh? I pity the poor critter in your sights.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Ya Murphy, it sure is a good feeling. Pulling all the components together into a nice usable package is very rewarding. Wheel weights to lead muffuns to boolits. Rendering down the 5gal bucket of "bee stuff' and getting the beeswax, mixing up the lube, working up the load in a new gun with a scope (another first), getting a reamer, reaming the throats, tightening up the groups. I feel a real connection with this gun. Hopefully I'll be able to get a crack at a blackie in the next couple months and moose this fall.

Here's where I ended up. 1200fps. I think it'll do the job.

Very impressive Perry, Thanks again for the brass. Hope to put it to good use next month.

Steve

Nice thread, simply because this is one of the two methods I will have to use to send off black powdered lead out of the incoming 1870s vintage Webley Pryce 450/476 that I have incoming and its nice to see it demonstrated as I have never screwed with cast bullets.

Of course I could be lazy and just load clean bullets and squirt some lube in the cylinders

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing. I really like the looks of that bullet. Is it from an LBT mold? The profile looks a lot like the LBT Wide Flat Nose. Thanks again.

mart

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing. I really like the looks of that bullet. Is it from an LBT mold? The profile looks a lot like the LBT Wide Flat Nose. Thanks again.

mart
    Ya it is. I bought it from a guy who had Veral make it for him.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I like your trecking pole lube cutter! I did something similar when i was pan lubing my 375 cal bullets with hard lube, but I used an expanded 375H&H case and ground an elongated hole out of one side of it for the lubed bullets to fall out of. the lube I was using was a bit too firm to allow comfortable hand cutting so I just used a small arbor press. Your way looks to be far faster and more comfotable! Now all I need is a trecking pole with a .378 inside diameter....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I can certainly see an advantage over the regular Lyman Cake Cutters. It's beeg enough to grab onto, and should be much easier to use.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Snyd
    Do yourself a favor and find a used luber/sizer and quit with the mess. I have three that I paid less than $50 each used. My guess is you paid more for that mold than a used lube/sizer would cost you. Pan lubing works but what a pita and messy. I know you shoot enough to make the investment worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Snyd
    Do yourself a favor and find a used luber/sizer and quit with the mess. I have three that I paid less than $50 each used. My guess is you paid more for that mold than a used lube/sizer would cost you. Pan lubing works but what a pita and messy. I know you shoot enough to make the investment worth while.
    Big dittos. I'm using an ancient lyman lube sizer, and it beats the cookie technique hands down. I had the short term loan of a buddies star sizer, and one of these day's I'll upgrade to the star.

Ya, the lubesizer will probably be next. Can't find one around here though and used ones I've seen online seem to be overpriced. I've been slowly getting into this casting deal. I've got my moulds, pot, ww's, etc. Tried some tumble lube which worked pretty good and gave this a shot since I have everything I need.

You have to try different ways to know what works right? Lots of ways to do the same thing and it all fun learning..

Steve