Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Is it like this every year?

  1. #1
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default Is it like this every year?

    Do the people that don't get drawn cry conspiracy every year, or is it different this year. This is the first year I have been involved in any drawings, so I never paid much attention before, but it sure seems like a bunch of whining and crying going on. I really doubt there is anything out of the ordinary going on here, I mean my dad,brother, and I all drew a tag our first year putting in for anything, and I guarantee we don't know anyone, pay anyone, or kiss anyones ass to get drawn.

  2. #2
    Member sharksinthesalsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    wasilla ak
    Posts
    640

    Default yup

    yeah this is just about how it is every year....what tags did you guys get?....the first year guys always get the good ones...you'll hear that alot.....i drew a delta sheep tag my first time
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

  3. #3
    Member lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    327

    Default

    I think most of the people getting pissy are a vocal minority. I did not draw and I am OK with it. I usually apply for hard to get permits anyway. I have a friend that is one of the ones that calls F@G and *****es most years. He has drawn some great tags before but on years he does not get a good tag he cries "conspiracy, the whole thing is rigged". These are the same people that complain that F@G employees are not working hard enough and then waste these same state employees time by tying there phone lines up *****ing about permits being rigged.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

  4. #4
    Member Sterlingmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sterling, AK
    Posts
    293

    Smile UhHuh

    Pretty typical. This year all permits were drawn in spring, so maybe more vocals than usual. Kinda like people leaving Las Vegas...........either it's all rigged, or they had a great time. Most who aren't drawn are disappointed, but not surprised with the number of people submitting for the hunts. Some, very few, will complain about most anything. Which would you want to hunt or fish with, eh? Good luck to you on your hunt. From the looks of you boat, fish should beware!

    Mike

  5. #5
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    I have lived here my entire life. It seems like a lot of Alaskans are never satisfied. We whine and cry about a lot of things. It is either too hot or to cold. Too light or too dark. Life is about making choices. Mine today is do I want to fill my glass with an Oosik Amber or Kodiak Brown Ale. Better finish the pot of coffee first. I have some choices to make.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Life is about making choices. Mine today is do I want to fill my glass with an Oosik Amber or Kodiak Brown Ale. Better finish the pot of coffee first. I have some choices to make.
    Kodiak Brown, most definitely.

    I might do the same, but skiing first.

  7. #7
    Member AKMooseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    73

    Default

    [QUOTE=spoi...do I want to fill my glass with an Oosik Amber or Kodiak Brown Ale. Better finish the pot of coffee first. I have some choices to make.[/QUOTE]

    Or go with Arctic Rhino and get your coffee AND beer

  8. #8

    Default Rigged LOL

    I think it's rigged mostly for the ones who filled in all the information, have an Hunting lience and pay the full amount. Ever read the amount of ones they receive who missed one of the hoops!
    I did all that one year and pulled a Valley Cow Moose Tag!

  9. #9

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Do the people that don't get drawn cry conspiracy every year, or is it different this year. This is the first year I have been involved in any drawings, so I never paid much attention before, but it sure seems like a bunch of whining and crying going on. I really doubt there is anything out of the ordinary going on here, I mean my dad,brother, and I all drew a tag our first year putting in for anything, and I guarantee we don't know anyone, pay anyone, or kiss anyones ass to get drawn.
    The level of angst and contempt is escalating, commensurate with the Population and number of Permit Hunts. Each year there are more havenots than the year before. It is to be expected but only the very obiedient among us will accept it as being ordinary. As more and more hunts go to permit only or community harvest priority, you will see the desire for hunting wane. Only those that have money and time invested in equipment and weapons will tough it out and play the game, even if their chances are minimal. What you won't be seeing is very many young people wanting to invest thousands of dollars and hours into a game they can't often play.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default Well, I think you're right there Res

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The level of angst and contempt is escalating, commensurate with the Population and number of Permit Hunts. Each year there are more havenots than the year before. It is to be expected but only the very obiedient among us will accept it as being ordinary. As more and more hunts go to permit only or community harvest priority, you will see the desire for hunting wane. Only those that have money and time invested in equipment and weapons will tough it out and play the game, even if their chances are minimal. What you won't be seeing is very many young people wanting to invest thousands of dollars and hours into a game they can't often play.
    There was a time I could not have conceived that in this state we would have to gamble for game. But since length of residency, or even residency itself, counts for little, I see no fix for the escalation of which you speak.

  11. #11

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    There was a time I could not have conceived that in this state we would have to gamble for game. But since length of residency, or even residency itself, counts for little, I see no fix for the escalation of which you speak.
    An article I just read today in the Anch. Daily News Rag leaves us with a glimmer of hope. Something about the ever slowing economy and how the tourism industry will suffer even more this year than last. I don't think it is a stretch to think that at least some of that will spill over into the non-res hunting competition as well. Sad thing is, that it won't stop the demand and issuance of permits, as there will always be dreamers.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member Rod in Wasilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    um... Wasilla...
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Do the people that don't get drawn cry conspiracy every year, or is it different this year.
    Yep. This happens every year. And soon we get to hear these same people complaining about the permit holders again, as they start looking for information about the hunt area they got drawn for.

    It's sad, really. Usually goes something like this:

    A: I'm so excited! I pulled a great permit!

    B: We need to change the draw system because I didn't get picked again.

    A: I don't know what you're talking about. Seems fair to me?.?.

    B: Can't be fair. I didn't get picked and you did. Harumph.

    And then the thread breaks down into a political bash-fest and gets locked.

    Time passes...

    A: Hey, can anybody tell me about the permit area I got a tag for? I've never hunted there before and I could use some advice.

    B: WHAT?!?! Are you kidding?!?! I can't believe you put in for a permit without knowing the area? People like you make me sick.

    A: Well, it is a draw only area. How would I get to know the area?

    B: You should do your homework first. I used to hunt that area before it went draw. Why did you get a permit and not me?

    A: O...K.... Well, if anybody has any info, could you PM me please?

    B: Harumph!

    And then the thread breaks down into a political bash-fest and gets locked.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

  13. #13

    Default Rod....

    That is absolutely perfect. That is EXACTLY how it goes, and why I hardly bother reading the hunting forum anymore. These permit threads are nothing but pure entertainment.

  14. #14
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Yep. This happens every year. And soon we get to hear these same people complaining about the permit holders again, as they start looking for information about the hunt area they got drawn for.

    It's sad, really. Usually goes something like this:

    A: I'm so excited! I pulled a great permit!

    B: We need to change the draw system because I didn't get picked again.

    A: I don't know what you're talking about. Seems fair to me?.?.

    B: Can't be fair. I didn't get picked and you did. Harumph.

    And then the thread breaks down into a political bash-fest and gets locked.

    Time passes...

    A: Hey, can anybody tell me about the permit area I got a tag for? I've never hunted there before and I could use some advice.

    B: WHAT?!?! Are you kidding?!?! I can't believe you put in for a permit without knowing the area? People like you make me sick.

    A: Well, it is a draw only area. How would I get to know the area?

    B: You should do your homework first. I used to hunt that area before it went draw. Why did you get a permit and not me?

    A: O...K.... Well, if anybody has any info, could you PM me please?

    B: Harumph!

    And then the thread breaks down into a political bash-fest and gets locked.

    LOL and i thought i was the only one that seen all that >
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  15. #15
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    I get drawn every year because I apply only for hunts that I happen to be able to afford to do and for some reason they seem to have pretty high draw odds. If all you apply for is Kodiak goat, Haul Rd. moose, and archery sheep in Eklutna you are going to get drawn fairly regularly...I do.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  16. #16
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Cool yup, pretty much

    Yup, its pretty much how it goes. I find that if I just expect that I am not going to draw a darn thing, I wont get all upset when I dont. Then when I draw something I get super excited because I wasent expecting it. The drawing to me are just the dream hunts, I already have a back plan for each species I put in for, except elk.

  17. #17
    Member sledhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    244

    Default Hey You guys

    You forgot about; "How come the new guys always get the bison permits. I have been putting in since portage glacier could be seen from the observatory and I cant seem to ever get drawn , It must be rigged for newbies so that f&g can get their money from that first draw on, By lulling them into a false sense of drawers luck."
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

  18. #18
    Member akguy454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    norh pole AK
    Posts
    228

    Default

    i think the best way not to be disappointed about not getting drawn is do what I do

    don't apply

  19. #19
    Member Rod in Wasilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    um... Wasilla...
    Posts
    826

    Default

    What?!!? Are you saying that somehow people can hunt in Alaska without applying for a permit? Preposterous! Who would ever think of such a thing??




    ^^ for those who aren't fluent in internet sarcasm, that is a prime example...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

  20. #20
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default My perspective exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Yup, its pretty much how it goes. I find that if I just expect that I am not going to draw a darn thing, I wont get all upset when I dont. Then when I draw something I get super excited because I wasent expecting it. The drawing to me are just the dream hunts, I already have a back plan for each species I put in for, except elk.
    I agree with this view completely, there are so many regis hunts and other open access stuff there should be just a little disappointment after missing on the Draws, just go with the backup plan and fill your freezer.

    Then if you draw something you had realistic expectations for (as in, really low) you can be really Jacked Up about it and that much more fun in the planning. Still keep the backup plans and get out there and hunt to hearts content.
    There are rabbits everywhere, Black Bear not far from home for anyone, Sitka Blacktails with high harvest limits, Goat registration hunts, etc. and then,
    you might get to chase Elk with only 7 other hunters on an island at the same time as you on the first opening... Ok sorry, I'm still giddy over that one. It is definitely just a bonus though and most importantly
    Because it took so long to get it I appreciate it that much more and Will Hunt Hard to respect all those who didn't get a bonus this year.
    That's just the right thing to do I think.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •