Thread: Place to Stay in Ketchikan

Default Place to Stay in Ketchikan

My friend and I will be going to Ketchikan next week for a trip and will be in a cabin for most of our time. However we will have one night where we will need a place to stay in town as our flight home leaves the day after the cabin rental expires.

Can anyone recommend an affordable place to stay that is convenient for airline travel?

Thanks,

Matt

The Best Western Landing Hotel & Restaurant 907 225-5166 is about a 3 block walk to the airport ferry. That's as close as you'll get.

Default shuttle

All motels have a free shuttle service. That will deliver you to the airport ferry.

The lowest $ is the Super 8 which is near the mall ... next is the Gilmore which is downtown. The Gilmore are smaller rooms but clean. Could be a little noisy with the downtown action.

The Gilmore has the best restaurant in town and a bar ... the Best Western Landing is more $'s for rooms but bigger and nicer / newer than the Gilmore and the Landing also has a good restaurant and bar.

Another option is the Narrows but have small rooms and thin walls. It is located a couple miles north and also has a restaurant and bar.

Are you coming for a Bear hunt or Steelhead fishing tip?

I remember now ... we discussed Steelhead flies ... which cabin did you decide on?

Default Jordan Lake

We are going to the Jordan Lake cabin. Flying out with family air right after our flights lands at 5:30 p.m. this Friday the 16th. Been looking forward to this trip all winter. We've been outside in Denali building a bridge and I'm looking forward to the 20-30 degree temp swing and hopefully a fish or two.

Thanks for your responses.

I'm biased..but I like the Best Western/Landing. Annabelles does have good food as long as they aren't in the middle of serving a cruise ship. I had to go back for a second try just to make sure I wasn't wrong.

Muskeg is right, everyone has shuttles, so that part is easy.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm biased..but I like the Best Western/Landing. Annabelles does have good food as long as they aren't in the middle of serving a cruise ship. I had to go back for a second try just to make sure I wasn't wrong.

Muskeg is right, everyone has shuttles, so that part is easy.

Doug, don't you mean you're related?

I like the Landing, with drinks at Jeremiahs.

Matt,

I heard the Cape Fox Lodge is nice. Not near the airport from what little I know. Got a room there in early May. Heard the food is top shelf as well and will eat there a time or two. My situation is similar to yours, week in cabin, then a day to chill in Ketchikan. Shoot me an email after your trip if you find time. I would love to hear how the fishing goes. I will do the same of course after my trip in early May. There is an article in Fish Alaska magazine this month you would like. Talks about steelhead fishing in SE Alaska, the guide speaks highly of globugs, esl's, and green butt skunks. Take a look if you find time. Good luck and have fun.

You can see the menu here...

http://www.capefoxlodge.com/documents/Menus.pdf

http://www.capefoxlodge.com/our_menu.html

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default up on the Hill

The reason I didn't mention the Cape Fox is that I have had more than one client book there with problems ... mainly room / bathroom cleanliness.

The restaurant is OK but can be very slow. It is very spendy for what you get. It is not a step above Annabelle's for the higher prices by any means.

Some locals argue that the Bar Harbor is the best restaurant in town .... http://www.barharborrestaurantktn.com/id1.html

Default Booked at the Gilmore

Thanks for your thoughts guys, decided to go with the Gilmore as they had a good price on a double queen room and I will be looking forward to a good meal at the end of the trip.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts guys, decided to go with the Gilmore as they had a good price on a double queen room and I will be looking forward to a good meal at the end of the trip.

Matt
    You will eat well at Annabells.