Thread: Honda 9.9 won't pump water

Default Honda 9.9 won't pump water

I have a brand new 9.9, bought it last fall, started it once, ran about 15 min, pumped water just fine, stored it in the garage all winter. Pulled it out of the garage yesterday, started it up, but it would not pump water, any suggestions?

Perhaps the pee hole is plugged? Any visible obstructions?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Not uncommon for the rubber fingers on the impeller to become stuck to the housing. When you go to start it they get torn off.

However, it is also common for a small bit of trash to block the witness tube as well.

Very EZ fix either way. I just replaced the impeller on a 9.8 Mercury just this week. Cost me less than 20 bucks for a new impeller and took about 30 minutes to replace.

With all the sand and silt in the water I run, I change the impeller about every season. Cheap insurance.

Steve

If it is that new, i would think it covered under a warranty? I would give the dealer a call.And what the others have said, The pump that sits in the housing is off center and about 1/2 of the fingers are smashed tight up against one side, could have a set to them.How are you getting the water in the lower unit? if using the rabbit ears,Make sure got hose coved in right spot,and on pretty good force should push the water right up in there,If using a big trash can or the like, try putting motor in reverse help push it into the hole,s to help prime it soto speak,once it warms up the rubber fingers of the pump should relax. If watching the pee hole check with a paper clip or other wire to make sure there isn,t something stuck in there, Also is the motor in warm [ garage] unthawed place could be just a chunk of ice stopping the flow? Some stuff to try and think about

you were right stid, pulled the impeller and suprise suprise no fins on the impeller. Is it a good idea to grease the impeller before storing motor before winter?