Thread: 41 Magnum Issues

Default 41 Magnum Issues

So a while back I found a screaming deal on a slightly used Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 41 mag. I bought it, took it to the range and discovered that it had one of those “exhaust your forearm before the hammer finally falls” triggers. I shipped it off to Hamilton Bowen and got an action/trigger job and a longer firing pin installed.

While the gun was away, I spent some time loading some test loads. I got the piece back this week, took it out and brought it back home with several problems.

One load in particular has me scratching my head. I loaded a Sierra 210 gr JHP over 20.5 H110 with a CCI LP Magnum primer. This is listed as a starting load in Lyman and Speer manuals, and a mid range load in the Hodgdon manual. Lyman and Hodgdon use a regular primer and Speer uses a mag primer. All of the data list the load as a 1200 – 1400 fps load. For a six shot string my velocities were: 1272, 1335, 1285, 1287, 1204, 1132.

The problem for me is that every single primer came out flat as a pancake.

Does anyone have experience with a similar load? Could it really be the magnum primer that’s causing high pressure? I know that this is a fairly high pressure round, is this a common phenonenom?

One other issue. The cylinder pin is constantly working loose under recoil and tying up my gun. In hindsight, I probably should have had Bowen put in one of his super-duper cylinder pins but I was ignorant to this problem.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Belt Mountain oversized cylinder pins? Are they easy to install?

Thanks and sorry for the book, (I didn’t draw a hunting permit, needed something to talk about!)
    - JRT

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have a Ruger Liberty Model Blackhawk that I have owned since 1976 in 41 magnum. My favotite load is a 265 grain cast bullet over 21 grains of H110/W296. and Federal 155 magnum primers. Never had a flat primer problem.

The belt mountain pins are nice. If you get the one with the setscrew that bears against the barrel, I like to use a 1/8" ball mill and make a recess for the screw to engage in the bottom of the barrel. That will most assuredly keep the pin from running forward. Sounds like just a combination of factors is making your H-110 load run a little warm. If the cases aren't sticking on extraction, run it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I own and shoot a few 41 mags. I of course, load for them exclusively, no factory ammo. First I don't use H110 powder, found something better, but when I did I always found the magnum primer to give better ignition. Also, you load is somewhat mild and with the 210 grain bullet, bullet pull, even with a heavy crimp, is light for the H110 powder. I have settled on the hard cast 250 to 265 grain WFNGC bullets and they do work nicely with H110 and magnum primers. Velocities will be more uniform with lower ES numbers with heavier loads using this powder. As for the primers I'd have to know which brand of primer, etc. It is a magnum cartridge and 40,000 PSI is the norm.

When Using H110 powder, for best results:

Use max to near max charges.
    Use heavy for caliber bullets.
    Use a heavy crimp.
    Use Magnum primers, I prefer CCI-350.

VihtaVouri N105 or N110 are excellent powders for this caliber.
    I Use BlueDot for moderate loads in the 41 Magnum.

And yes you should have had hamilton put in one of his cylinder pins but Belt Mountain pins work great and easy to install.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Thanks fella's

Thanks for the replies. I'm new to loading the 41 and it sounds like the consensus it to use a heavier bullet and/or a stouter charge if using H110. I've read that the lighter loads with H110 can be a problem. I think I'm going to try an AA9 or Unique load for this caliber.

Got the Belt Mountain pin on it's way.

Default 4227

If you don't want to step all the way down to the unique-class loads, and you are looking at staying with 210s - Check the books for some 4227 loads.

Nate

Cool

2400 is another good choice if max loads are not what your after. It can be loaded quite a bit less than max or almost up to H110.