Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klutina Lake

Default Klutina Lake

Looking for a new adventure.

Does anyone have any advise/knowledge of getting back to Klutina Lake? Is it driveable with a truck? ATV? I know that most of the land around the river back to the lake is owned by Ahtna, but how limited are the opportunities to get down to the river to do a little fishing?

Think there is plenty of thread on this but having never done it myself I can not comment on it. Most said best with ATV but can be done with truck. I always wondered about Ice Fishing on this lake, take a sled in (no trespass fee if you stay on the road). Then sled out on to the lake (again no trespass fee). If someone has updated info on the trail, summer or winter please post.

My wife and I did it on ATV's last year. Piece of cake in them. Trucks do go back there but if it has been raining look out. It is one long haul back there too. Plus your on Ahtna land and need to pay for a permit to go back there. I/we were with employees of Ahtna and there is a gate about 1/2 mile from the lake that is owned by private citizens. They are not very nice people at all and will not let you access the lake. They look and act like something right out of deliverence.

We fished from that gate down on the klutina. Reds were there but we were chasing bows. Not alot of action up top but from the 8mile mark downstream we had a nice time and caught bows and grayling. This was in july. if you want more info pm me your number and ill give you a call.

here is a pic of my wife with a klutina bow last july
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 05-13-2010 at 12:07.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I've done several outings on that river from a boat. Everyday we would get in the North River and run from bottom to top. That thing is a rager from a jet boat. I suspect you can probably hire a boat guide to run you up and drop you off and you can float down. I've seen probably a dozen rafts come down the Klutina in the 10 days I was on the river. I think there is a couple of guides that float the river. I've never seen a bright King in that river. The water runs so fast that the boat guides would announce themselves before every bend so that other boaters know they coming through to prevent collisions.

We tried to go fishing there 2 years ago and almost got killed. If your not from this area watch out. The locals can be a little scary to say the least. Short story is that we were lucky to make it out alive. I won't ever go back.

Ouch looks like no way in the summer at least to fish without paying the access (trespass) fee. I think the road is a access trail where if you stay on the road you would be fine, from a quick satellite map view you could most likely find a way to get from the road to the river without trespassing on Athna land and ride up the river if the river is designated a access route as well. Kind of like riding up the Jack River from Cantwell, if you are off the high water mark you have to pass the Athna access fee. If rafters on on the river doubt there the river belongs to Athna. I probably just pay it to make them happy and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Ouch looks like no way in the summer at least to fish without paying the access (trespass) fee. I think the road is a access trail where if you stay on the road you would be fine, from a quick satellite map view you could most likely find a way to get from the road to the river without trespassing on Athna land and ride up the river if the river is designated a access route as well. Kind of like riding up the Jack River from Cantwell, if you are off the high water mark you have to pass the Athna access fee. If rafters on on the river doubt there the river belongs to Athna. I probably just pay it to make them happy and be safe.
    I don't know how safe you'll be. These are the same hillbillys that shot the pipeline a few years back.

If you choose top take the trail, go prepared for bears. If you have a four wheeler take it, also bring beverages for the "local tree cutting parties getting their winter wood". They then may allow you to pass them on the public trail. be careful of "their trail"

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I don't know how safe you'll be. These are the same hillbillys that shot the pipeline a few years back.
    heh heh,
    This has been brewing for a long time. The "hillbillys" are only one part of the equation. There are also a few of the local gang leaders in their teens and early twenties that often strongarm folks for a few bucks, in a very intimidating manner and will "sell you a pass". It will result in a multiple tragedy one day and I have been laying back waiting to see which parties end up walking away.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I find this thread very interesting............even more so if held up next too the standard responses to threads about having 6 months of food, or a years supply of food in your home, in the event of SHTF or any other emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    So they used to live near Livengood?

http://www.solcomhouse.com/trans.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    So they used to live near Livengood?

http://www.solcomhouse.com/trans.htm
    uh oh, wait! i may have got my wires crossed my bad

Quote Originally Posted by eagleriver24 View Post
    We tried to go fishing there 2 years ago and almost got killed. If your not from this area watch out. The locals can be a little scary to say the least. Short story is that we were lucky to make it out alive. I won't ever go back.
    A gang of real mofos need to go back there and see if a reading from the Riot Act is due.

Is this the only location in Alaska where locals do this type of behavior.......?

I fished and hunted moose there about 15 years ago. The water-front property primarily belongs to Ahtna; like it or not, it's theirs, and paying a permit fee is the legal-beagle issue.

What's not the 'legal issue' to comply with is the hooligans who may or may not sabotage your vehicle or gear, though paying the permit fee to Ahtna -might- deter some of this behavior.

We had no problem when I was out that way. We drove in all the way in a 4x4 Toyota DX Extra-Cab p/u with standard suspension, crossing a couple of streams or high-water from the river in the low areas on the road toward the lake..

At/near the outlet of the lake is a cub strip that was mostly over-grown; I was told that was public-use land as well.

There are older cabins (abandoned? habitable? ????) on the far side of the river, and a lot of small muskeg-like fields in behind them. Pretty moosey turf.

The location and the far side of thelake were both part of the original Valdez Trail/Road many decades ago. Pretty intriguing in that regard.

Reds galore in da ribba' there.... and rainbows and lakers feeding on their carcasses and spawn right there at the confluence of the outlet and the river. An eerie place at times. Not just the rumored hassles, but the landscape across the water, as I recall, there were some submerged trees sticking up that looked ominous.

Had a good camp there, though. Most camps along the river are traditional family fish camps form the locals. Best not to trespass there, as it's a sort of double violation, ethically speaking.

I wouldn't mind ice-fishing for lakers there some day.

Good luck.

Does Athna have a information center of sorts in Glenallen?

yes, it is located next to the courthouse.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Oh man! Thanks guys, I had a good chuckle reading this From shooting the pipeline to deliverence! Good stuff

The airstrip a couple miles from the lake has claimed plenty of planes over the years. Don't know the last time someone actually used it. There are a lot of non-Ahtna property owners up there now. Both sides of the river. A guy has been subdividing land and selling chunks at 50 grand a pop for years now. The so called abandoned cabins on the other side of the upper river are not so. The property owners beyond the gate have gotten a lot of crap over the years for blocking access to public lands and now there is a trail up and around the properties. Granted the stories here may have some merit but may have grown a bit since they happened. Only takes a few bad apples to make a bad impression on folks. And when Ahtna first started enforcing things on the road they often went a little overboard and quickly irritated a lot of folks.

I haven't bothered going to the Klutina the last two years. Unfortunate how it has become so overcrowded. Tons of raft and jetboat fishing guides not to mention all the regular folks trying to fish it.

As far as ice fishing goes, I will only warn of the overflow. There are normal areas that pose problems every year, but then there are always the suprises too. This winter was crazy. Tons of problems. Just be careful.

Hey mod, when does fishing start?/?? ....

Thanks, thats some of the information I was looking for. We where planning on taking the ATVs back there for the fun of running them, plus the added bonus of actually getting away from some of the crowds. I was getting a bit worried with some of the horror stories some of you guys are describing. Luckily Mod jumped...

And how late does the red run last? End of July? Sounds like there could be some good trout action after that? Lastly, does anyone know if its possible to call down to Ahtna and get/pay for the land use permit over the phone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast