Thread: Aug trip

Default Aug trip

Plan on fishing Aug 2011. I have no input on were we are going and all I know is flying into anchorage, getting RV and flyfishing. The planners I think are basing the trip on the Field and strem article " the alaska experiment".

they fished: Willow creek, Peters creek, Talkeentna, Montana creek, quartz creek and Ninilchik.

I want to catch fish (grayling and salmon are on my fly rod list) are these good spots this time of year?

Sorry for my ignorance, have googled and most articles seem to be written by people paid to write. I am looking for the truth and low down.
    Not asking for secret spots.

thank yall again
    Ryan

Default You will be fine

August is a no Brainer on the road system for Silvers and Bows what your getting into is a stansard fishing trip for a lot of people hitting some hot spots mind you the better fishing sometimes is up the river farther than people care to walk.

Expect company just the nature of the beast that time of year. Anything within shouting distance of Anch and Wasilla wil have ample people fishing evenings and weekends so fish Mont., Willow during mid week and being that your fishing drop of with Mahays at Clear Creek.

Same with Quartz you will be fine.

Have fun and enjoy!

Default Ryan

I've tried to pm you, but the function doesn't seem to be working.
    at any rate - As a fellow Pennsylvanian (now, ex) you'll love AK. Things are different here - take a look at the regs @ F&G. most regs are stream/lake specific - all the streams you mentioned can be found in the regs for "South central" AK.
    Pick up a copy of "The Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide" - it will point you to access points (other than highway bridges) for the streams you mentioned.
    Do a forum search on "bead fishing" - August will be largely bead & flesh fishing for rainbows & dollies. ESL's & bunny leeches for silvers.
    If I can be of further help, send me a pm.
    Gary

Below is a compilation of old threads on bead fishing with an emphasis on bows/dollies on the Upper Kenai in September. Lots of great info from many forum members to be found in reading this. If I were you, I would research the options on the Kenai Peninsula. Incredibly beautiful area and lots of fishing opportunities. Others could tell you better than I about fishing this area in August. Be sure to buy "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen and Troy Leatherman's "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska....". Both are incredible books. Also, Gunnar Pederson has an excellent book, "Fishing Alaska" and one or two books specific to fishing the Kenai. Seems he (or someone) has a "Fishing the Roadside" book as well that may be of use for areas north of Anchorage. Good luck.

FYI, the PM function is not allowed for new members if I understand it correctly. After a certain number of post, low I suspect, PM is enabled.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=bead

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I appreciate yalls help, prob get bombarded with people like me.

always dreamed of fishing and trapping alaska. Atleast get fishing done.

I printed the rules and regs last night and emailed the ones planning the trip.

Beads, great. Like there is not enough to get me a ticket. weighted flies, no weight on flies, single hook size, weight so far up line, lol. Now beads.

Will order those books. Thank you again

Here are a few great articles from Alaska Flyfishing Goods (fly shop in Juneau). Awesome place to buy flies and top shelf website as well...

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...ked-Truth.html

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...Kenai-101.html

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.