Thread: Can I win too??

Default Can I win too??

All these drawings, and I'm left out.......

Unit 23, and I'm stuck here....

Shuks, when I asked about entering a drawing at the ADFnG, they just stuffed my hands with Moose, Caribou, Brown Bear, Swan, Muskox, Sheep harvest reports and told me to call 'em on the 800 # when I have any questions and then told me to buy a Waterfowl stamp at the post office so I can hunt Geese. They were helpfull, smiling and happy, answering my every question, giving me lots of advice!! Have you ever been treated by a State employee Like thatt??!!...I sure hope the line at the post office is short.........whats a guy to do??......

Heck , for the 25$ paper license, they say I can hunt fish and trap all I want.
    Problem is, theres very few baglimits on trapping animals!! Theres even more fish than I can count, I think....
    What would you do?????

Does anybody else have this problem?

I did used to put in for Ox ticketts,before they opend to a General Season, and I won 'em plenty, but back in those days, we had to wait untill July to find our names in the paper...

Lost in Alaska's game game~~LOL!!~~~Wheres Hilter whan I need 'em?

( ~~LOL!!~~ )
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Stranger! ~~~ you guys always win Remember that tusk you found last year? WINNER!!! What about that caribou you and Kotz got, when was that, just a few weeks ago??? WINNER!!! GOD, I CAN"T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR! See you guys up there in a few weeks.

Wink

Stranger,
    All of us want to get to Heaven one day. Problem seems to be that few of us are willing to die right away to get there.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Life's a trade-off

I miss those opportunities, but there are things and people on the road system that command my attention more than my old free and easy way of life in the bush. But God bless you. You are a lucky cuss.

As for the draws: it's not hard to figure out that if you don't live in a rural area with lots of game and opportunities, you'd better be very lucky, or you'd better have a lot of dough to play the draw lottery game and then pay the travel to get there if you win. I'm neither lucky nor rich, but there's still moose, fish and small game for old timers like me if one puts in the time.

Sure makes me miss the old uncrowded Alaska though.

My slice of Heaven has plenty of room, pitch yer tent in the yard Sayak , Akres

Akdreamer can just drive on over, soon.........

Im glad you see the humor init, could be alot worse.

You do know that unit 23 is larger than Indiana in size, and theres not quite 10,000 folks 'round here, most under 12.....??
    (Hint, Hint , Hint..)

Default Thanks for the invite

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    My slice of Heaven has plenty of room, pitch yer tent in the yard Sayak , Akres

But by the time I got any meat from your country landed and in my freezer I could buy half a side of free range beef from Homer and have it cut and wrapped. Not moose or caribou, but not bad. As for the hunting part... well I'll just pretend I'm hunting big game when I'm after bunnies.

Actually, I'll be out after a blackie in a few weeks. I got tags for those, and there is plenty to go around.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    But by the time I got any meat from your country landed and in my freezer I could buy half a side of free range beef from Homer and have it cut and wrapped. Not moose or caribou, but not bad. As for the hunting part... well I'll just pretend I'm hunting big game when I'm after bunnies.

Actually, I'll be out after a blackie in a few weeks. I got tags for those, and there is plenty to go around.
    "bunnies" ???

I prefer we refer to them as Low Bush Moose.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

When this storm dies in the next couple days, were otta here for a good time on the trail. Im gonna be stocking up on those critters too...Mmmmmmmmmm,Roasted with BBQ sauce......
    We have quite a population around here this year.
    My kids have been plugging 'em fairly steady like, and the puppies are getting bigger off the surplus. Good practise in hunting and shooting.
    By the time my kids hit Tag age, well be working Ox/Sheep/Moose/Bear like a lottery......~~LOL!!~~....uh, maby more like Rabbits....

Default blessed we are.

Last moose season two old friends and I took a heavily overloaded boat down the yukon river and then up the Nowitna as far is water levels permited us.
    We made a great camp, We cooked with dutch ovens, we fished for pike and shee, we boated up the river every day and talked and told lies and acted like we were hunting.. We did lots of waving to the occassional boat that passed by...
    We met some very cool people on the river.
    We were invited to a spaghetti feed and pot luck, in one of the camps along the river. I made a peach cobbler in the dutch oven and brought some snacks too.. lots of good food was donated to the event..
    The reason for the invite as some of you may remember, was because a man had died on the Yukon river... His boat sunk and he drowned in his boat trying to get to the nowitna. He was in his very late 70's and had been sick most of the winter and was very weak, but his family came every year for decades to camp and to hunt along the banks of the Nowitna. He was advised to not come, but it was his desire to make one more trip.... The feast was in his honor, and was a celebration of his life.
    We were served BBQ shrimp kabobs cooked over a pit fire and a shopping cart turned upside down and stolen from some far off city was used as the grill..., and the spaghetti was made using his family's secret Italian Spaghetti recipe....
    We had horseshoe games, and a big fire to visit around.
    It was something I will never forget... it was a great trip..
    I interviewed a young boy of about 11 years old that took his first Moose on the banks of the Nowitna.. it was a spike bull and he had stored it in the front of his famliy boat. we went over and looked at the moose and I asked him to replay the story of how it all happened..
    In traditional native "no bragging ways", the young boy from Ruby told me the story... He was very delighted to get the moose, but was careful to no brag.... very nice family indeed..
    A fellow from my town of Sterling, sang a few songs he had performed in years past for the old man..
    after the event, we all went back to our pretend hunting trips, and enjoyed the weeks on the river..
    Winning a tag is the reason sometimes to just get out,,, and get out of our rat race lives, do something different, breathe some fresh air, and watch the northern lights dance on Sept nights...
    The cost of such a trip is cheap compared to what I get out of it...
    Game or no Game... its just the Best....
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Canoe, thanks for the memory. Actually, the DeNardo camp on the Novi has been having a spagetti feed since way back when. The man that died was Frank. Helluva guy. His wife Ann passed away several years before him. Really great people. Used to stop there when I was freighting trapping camp supplies up the Novi. Can't count the times they fed me a warm meal or cup of cofee and a good bull session to boot.
    I still have a cabin a few miles above their camp site. Guess I should try and get back there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Great story! Typical Alaskana