Thread: Zodiac Fuel Consumption Question

Default Zodiac Fuel Consumption Question

I've rented a 11' Zodiac w/ 15hp motor for a bear hunt. Expectation is to cover more ground by scooting from point to point, to glass/scout more beaches/meadow (6-10 miles/day round trip from camp). Expect to be no more than about 1/4 mile off shore (ocean). Assuming good weather, with 2 men, what type of fuel consumption can we expect or more to the point for a 7 day hunt, about how much fuel will I need for a travel total of 50-70 miles?

Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ucohokie View Post
    I've rented a 11' Zodiac w/ 15hp motor for a bear hunt. Expectation is to cover more ground by scooting from point to point, to glass/scout more beaches/meadow (6-10 miles/day round trip from camp). Expect to be no more than about 1/4 mile off shore (ocean). Assuming good weather, with 2 men, what type of fuel consumption can we expect or more to the point for a 7 day hunt, about how much fuel will I need for a travel total of 50-70 miles?

Thanks for any advice.

I have one a little larger than yours and it gets around 8-10 mpg or more if it is lightly loaded and the guy on the tiller doesn't get throttle happy. Mine is powered by a 25 hp four stroke Honda. You didn't mention if you were going to go out there with a larger craft and tow or haul the inflatable, but if you are planning strictly to use the zodi, you guys are going to be VERY cramped and probably very, very wet which isn't really much fun.

Default Thanks

We're going with the wet/cramped option

I have a 12.5 ft Delpin Rugged Series with a 15hp two-stroke Johnson and it pushes out 10 mpg with two guys and quite a bit of gear. Top speed is 23 mph, but cruise at 18-19 mph to acheive the stated mpg. I agree that you guys are gonna be wet and cold if it is your primary rig, but good luck to you either way!

I suspect that you are doing a drop off hunt with said boat, right? We hunt like this every spring. We park the big boat and cruise the shores with the little one. We used a 14' achilles last year with a 9.8 4-stroke tohatsu. I don't think we burned more than 12 gallons the entire week we were out. If it is rainy and blowing, the bears will be hunkered down most likely. When it rains we stay in the comfort of the big boat, crank the heat, and enjoy a little something served over glacial ice. Either way we win. I suspect that twenty gallons would be more than enough.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    I have a 12.5 ft Delpin Rugged Series with a 15hp two-stroke Johnson and it pushes out 10 mpg with two guys and quite a bit of gear. Top speed is 23 mph, but cruise at 18-19 mph to acheive the stated mpg. I agree that you guys are gonna be wet and cold if it is your primary rig, but good luck to you either way!
    I too, have a 12.5 Zodiak with a 15hp Johnson 2-stroke. I concur with this evaluation after many years of ocean running.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I suspect that you are doing a drop off hunt with said boat, right? We hunt like this every spring. We park the big boat and cruise the shores with the little one. We used a 14' achilles last year with a 9.8 4-stroke tohatsu. I don't think we burned more than 12 gallons the entire week we were out. If it is rainy and blowing, the bears will be hunkered down most likely. When it rains we stay in the comfort of the big boat, crank the heat, and enjoy a little something served over glacial ice. Either way we win. I suspect that twenty gallons would be more than enough.

They are doing just what you said, Pete....that is minus the mothership

Default Mothership = Cabin

Thanks for all the help everyone. We're doing a drop in at a cabin, in an area I've hunted before, so this time around I wanted the ability to get to other beaches/valleys.

If you are renting the boat/motor combo, I would think that the person you are renting it from would know based on past experience with that rental.

Quote Originally Posted by ucohokie View Post
    Thanks for all the help everyone. We're doing a drop in at a cabin, in an area I've hunted before, so this time around I wanted the ability to get to other beaches/valleys.
    It sounds like a blast if you ask me. I'm envious in fact. Have a great trip

Default same

i am doing the same minus the cabin....I have 15 foot zodiac with an old 40 on it and I get about 5mpg in rough seas running hard pretty heavily loaded.

I plan to be wet. Hopefully I can find some dry ground to pitch my tipi on. To start I am going to take 33.5 gallons with me for a 3 day weekend.