Thread: Motor has been sitting 6 years. . .what to do?

Default Motor has been sitting 6 years. . .what to do?

Hi All,

As part of the property we are buying there comes a boat that was used in the salt and has been sitting on the hard uncovered and "un-winterized" for 6 years. The motor is a 2-stroke 90hp Yamaha.

Beyond flushing the fuel system, changing the lower unit oil and changing the spark plugs what do you suggest I do in terms of an overhaul? Beyond simply using it as a mooring block that is.

Thanks in advance.

Default If it were me

I would change water pump and replace all fuel lines.

Everything listed plus:

Spray the cylinder down with some WD-40 and turn the motor over slowly. Hopfully it hasn't froze/rusted. If it has, spray it and leave it for a while and spray again. Not much can go wrong with a 2-stroke, especially when it still turns over.

Great suggestions, thanks guys.

6 yrs, pffftt no need to use it as an anchor without a full check out first. Last year a cousin gave me a 24' Hydra sport CC that had a 235 evinrude on it. This boat has been parked for 18 yrs. I had a buddy pull it up from Kansas and after putting in new batteries, a tach, and one power pack she fired right up. (ok I had to pull the intake cover off and get all the mud dauber nests out of it). I put a new water pump in it and changed the lower unit oil, new fuel lines, rebuilt the carbs and used the crud out of it last year. Engine has run flawlessly but but boy oh boy will she drink some fuel if I drop the hammer.

It is amazing what a good pressure washing will do to an old boat that looks like cr@p. A few days of washing, sanding and restoring the teak and she looks pretty darn good for an 1980 hull!

Default snogo

I just got into a snomachine that had sat for 8 years. Two of them actually. One turned over just fine right off. The other was kinda sticky.

I could have saved a lot of time and about 500$ if I would have soaked the pistons in brake fluid for overnight before trying to turn it over....

In hindsite I should have pulled the head and re-ringed - now I have a ruined case and scored cylinder wall.....

Put some oil - fogging oil will probably work. Fill the jugs up then put the plugs back in - let her sit for a couple days and then try to turn it over by hand.

Default 1960's Spirit

1960's Spirit, it started, it ran, it still runs, nothing to it! (Now, if parts were needed that might be a problem.) Enough said.