Thread: Egg Sucking Leech Fly vs Articulated Hareball Leech Fly

Arrow Egg Sucking Leech Fly vs Articulated Hareball Leech Fly

Hi

So Im getting ready to buy a few flies from AFFG for the 2010 season and last season the few ESL that I bought from them worked pretty good. But right now im thinking about trying their articulated line of leech flies. I was wondering if any of you have used the articulated hareball leech flies. How do they rate in comparison to the standard ESL? should I consider buying a bunch of the articulated leeches or stay with the tried and true ESL fly? Let me know what you guys think!

--Chris
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

buy both you will use them

Question

it realy depends on the aplication. what do you plan to use them on?

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    it realy depends on the aplication. what do you plan to use them on?
    King, Silvers, Rainbow Trout

I might want to try to fish for steelhead. But for the most part, just those three species.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Default If those are your species

If you really want those three species on a fly you can't really go wrong with what you are planning to get. I'd say not to limit yourself though, say you only have the money to buy 10 flies I would get 3 each of what you have listed, 3 black and white dolly llamas and one new pattern that is totally different just so you have something to switch to. Last year I threw a single mouse pattern on to an order to just mess around with. Turned out to be an amazing amount of fun when all the leach action had slowed down.

For my money the black and white dolly llama is hands down one of the best flies for general purpose fishing in the part of the state you fish. One time last August I was fishing one of my favorite rivers and out of one hole in the span of 1 hour I caught a rainbow, silver, pink, chum, grayling and dolly; all on the dolly llama. That is 6 species in one hole that I took on one fly.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't limit yourself to one fly or the other. Even if you are on a budget give yourself a selection. If you really cant make up your mind I would send an e-mail to Mike or Brad at Alaska Fly Fishing Goods, tell them your budget and your species and they will help you out.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post

in the span of 1 hour I caught a rainbow, silver, pink, chum, grayling and dolly; all on the dolly llama. That is 6 species in one hole that I took on one fly.

Damm Matt, talk about right time, right place... right fly

Sweet!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Bad new Armo. Alaska fish held a meeting earlier and decided this year they are going to boycott all versions of the dolly lama as well as centerpin rods and lowholers. Looks like you are out of luck for next week.

But it doesn't take effect till Jan 2012
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    Bad new Armo. Alaska fish held a meeting earlier and decided this year they are going to boycott all versions of the dolly lama as well as centerpin rods and lowholers. Looks like you are out of luck for next week.

Yeah I used to think I was getting better at fly fishing until I realized that without Llamas I am useless. I think for a summer there I kept AFFG in business having them ship those flies to me. I could've re-sold them for 20 a pop on clear creek though!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    Hi

So Im getting ready to buy a few flies from AFFG for the 2010 season and last season the few ESL that I bought from them worked pretty good. But right now im thinking about trying their articulated line of leech flies. I was wondering if any of you have used the articulated hareball leech flies. How do they rate in comparison to the standard ESL? should I consider buying a bunch of the articulated leeches or stay with the tried and true ESL fly? Let me know what you guys think!

--Chris
    I think articulated leeches are a PITA to get out of a fish's mouth when hooked deep.

forceps really help with that..

As was said, this isn't an either ....or ....sort of situation, it's about having all the tools you might need. Articulated are often larger and can elicit big strikes, straight ESL's can be better when fish get a bit spooky. Most folks carry both. This is sort of a hijack but speaks to what you want in your box when you hit the water. I usually carry an assortment of ESLish stuff (I like starlight leeches personally) in white, black and purple, then add in the same colors in an articulated style (and don't forget olive or brownish stuff for sculpin imitations...another good option) then I like to have some clousery or smolty lookin stuff, and then a few colors of flesh fly (white, pink, brown, dirty white...and sometimes the tricolor=white+gray+orange. Then some beads or glow bugs and you are essentially set for all of alaska.

The only stuff I'd add to that is some flourescent leeches in chartreuse, orange, pink, and purple for salmon and you are lookin at a full toolbox.

Definitely the Dolly Llama is a great fly, but most versions are very heavily weighted and casting them soon becomes chuck and duck....so just watch your noggin and your blank, but they are very very good flies. I've even used them like a jig on a seven foot spinning rod....also, very effective.