Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Elk

Default Raspberry Elk

Starting to wonder what I got myself into...

The period of hunt is over a month. Looking at the stats it is a 20% or less success rate. I drew DE706, so it is cow only. I thought that would be easier!?

Anyway, through out my research I hear "it is cheaper in the lower 48", "Hard Hunt" etc...

I have transport via boat. I have as much time as I need (over 50 days of leave accrued). I have the gear with the exception of the spotting scope.

I have not read/heard if it was worth it to buy the land use from the Ouzinke's.

Any thoughts?

I am not sure where you are hunting, but check into the free area to hunt that the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and a couple other good wildlife foundations, bought up so everyone can use that land. BLM may be in charge of the land.

Smile

This is a good tag and worth going on in my opinion. I had it last fall but got the swine flu right before my trip and had to cancel. It is a good tag because there is snow to track in, the deer are all in rit and out chasing does and a bonus to the trip. Do not pay for native use on raspberry period. All elk are on western end a d accesable throug onion bay or raspberry strait. Some venture out into th shelikof, can pay off but be careful!!!! Great tag for prime November hunting! Don't let it go to waste! Good luck

Don't get me wrong, I am going! No wasting tags here.

I just have a lot of work ahead of me. And I have to convince a person or two to go with me.

Did this hunt 5 yrs. ago in mid nov. Two of us went & had Seahawk Air fly us over. Was glad we flew because He was able to spot the herd and put us within about a mile. Got camp set up and set out bright & early next morning snuck up on what had to be the entire herd. Shot one cow and the rest took off never saw them again for 8 days. We did get 3 deer one was a really nice buck. Had a great hunt there are patches of timber with a good firewood supply and trees to hang your meat in. I'm not going to lie, it's a tough hunt The weather can be very nasty and can come from any direction (which it did for us) but we did have a few good days. That elk is some really good eating!!!! Never saw a bear but did see one set of fresh tracks.

Default Lot of noshows

Trap, One thing I would be careful with is the success rate statistics as I believe a lot of folks who either draw there or get registration hunt tags on Ras or Afognak never actually hunt it or hunt not so hard.

I know a lot of locals who just go for it in the drawing to have the access but get several Deer first or are leary of Bear issues (which is Very Huge Problem hunting Elk on Afognak) not so bad on Raspberry I hope(?), trying to get that much meat out first. So people are intimidated off the Elk pursuit or just don't need it so don't hunt so hard.

I drew first opening Bull on Raspberry and am determined to do it right scout extensively and plan to play the weather hard, as in be well prepared to set it out or hunt right through what can come howling up the Shelikof that time of year.

Glad to hear you are determined, good Hunting to you
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thats kinda what I was thinking... Hard hunt, meat already in the freezer, bears, and weather.

Being that you hunt before me, if you would give me some pointers or what not I wouldn't be offended.

Default De702

I drew the early Bull hunt this year, and am pretty excited about it. I have a cabin in Onion Bay and have seen them near there a few times. We were doing a late November deer hunt last year and walked into the herd 500 yrds from the cabin on our first morning out last year. Figures we would when none of us had a tag.
    I would much rather have drawn the November Cow hunt, and imagine there are a few people that drew the Cow that would rather have the Bull. Does anyone know if F&G allows trading of any kind in cases like this? I would imagine no - but it couldn't hurt to ask. A friend of mine drew the Cow - I don't imagine we will go twice, so we'll probably have to choose (I imagine situations like these affect the success rates as well). If we do the early hunt I'll be happy to give you advice.

Default Keep in touch

Yeah Trap, I'll definitely let you know what I find, you may need to keep in touch late in summer I hope to get over there and do a bit of walking around so I'll update you privately, if I remember, or if you do

Sounds like Zach has a lot more experience on Raspberry than I so between the two of us there should be some good info,

Good hunting to you Zach, maybe see ya over there, I'm running the Radiance, (small longliner) Onion Bay is an attractive anchorage but I may be on the Straits side if I see something down there. Do you know details on the Native access to south end? like $125/yr or something? I think I'll buy in just to know I can go anywhere, what do you think?

I've had some fun searching these forums for Raspberry Elk stories, there are pages and pages on the search results. What a resource
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Doin some research...

The land use is $125 plus an Elk endorsement is another $150 (for KIB locals not Alaska residents, they are $300). I wouldn't mind paying it myself, but I keep hearing the Elk are on the public side of the island. I will talk to ADF&G when the time gets closer...

Been reading about a few deer hunts there, probably gonna be able to take one of those, too!! Duck hunting maybe as well.

Planning on a 7 to 10 day hunt. I will be camping with one maybe two other people. Possibly flying over and being brought back by a boat. (keep the costs down). I guess the hike is steep going up from Onion Bay (most probable drop off and pick-up point). The plan would be to hike up and set a base camp on the other side of the ridge. This would give a great view of the main valley in the mornings.

Regs say to keep evidence of sex attached to the meat if it a single sex hunt...That doesn't sound very easy to do...

While I am at it: Can someone point me one of those "What do you pack" threads. I've seen them all the time and can't find them now!!

My brother drew a afognet lbull tag we booked with that lodge be there for the 10 days.

http://huntraspberryisland.com/lodge.html

Wish I could afford that!! It's tents for me...

I just want to say... good luck to all of you!

As someone who grew up hunting elk, I miss it immensely. I can't wait to try for a Roosevelt elk one of these years. I'll keep putting in for Raspberry (no luck this year) until I get it.

Hunt hard, be safe, have fun, and post some pictures after your hunt!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Planning on a 7 to 10 day hunt. I will be camping with one maybe two other people. Possibly flying over and being brought back by a boat. (keep the costs down). I guess the hike is steep going up from Onion Bay (most probable drop off and pick-up point). The plan would be to hike up and set a base camp on the other side of the ridge. This would give a great view of the main valley in the mornings.
    Trappnnguns - there is a small cabin on our property in OB that has 2 bunks and a loft that is always unlocked. It has a small barrel stove and a table in it. There used to be a sign on the door that said something to the effect of "Hunters you are welcome to use the small cabin, please leave the big cabin alone. Please use your own firewood." Seemed like every other year we would get out there in June and there would be a note "The weather came up bad, you really saved our butts". Anyway - long story short, you are welcome to the little cabin there. From there you can get in the woods and get on a 4wheeler trail that takes you back up Cow valley, go to the creek and head up bear valley, go straight up and get on the ridgeline, or head up the beach and up the bay.

Couple questions for anyone that's hunted Elk out there. I know they can get pretty big, upwards of 1000lbs. How many loads can we expect to haul out with a Bull if we get one? When we saw the herd last year it was mostly Cows and Calves, with 5 or 6 Bulls trailing. Has anyone gotten or seen Bulls that are off by themselves?

1000# Elk are extremely rare. Most cows are 3-400#'s and bulls are almost always under 700 and closer to 5-600 #'s in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    Regs say to keep evidence of sex attached to the meat if it a single sex hunt...That doesn't sound very easy to do...

While I am at it: Can someone point me one of those "What do you pack" threads. I've seen them all the time and can't find them now!!
    Not as hard as it sounds. Just make a couple of cuts around the vaginal orifice and then skin down to one of the hind quarters. It doesn't have to be pretty - it just has to stay attached.

As for the packing threads, take a look in the gear forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    1000# Elk are extremely rare. Most cows are 3-400#'s and bulls are almost always under 700 and closer to 5-600 #'s in my experience.

Watch this video from Afognak Island and tell me that cow only weighs 300lbs!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tTgq6LgTLs

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakZach View Post
    I have a cabin in Onion Bay and have seen them near there a few times. We were doing a late November deer hunt last year and walked into the herd 500 yrds from the cabin on our first morning out last year. Figures we would when none of us had a tag.
    There are those Raspberry Island Elk...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Birch & Tiffany

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    My brother drew a afognet lbull tag we booked with that lodge be there for the 10 days.

http://huntraspberryisland.com/lodge.html
    akmike- I stayed at this lodge last fall for deer; weather was Kodiak-orous but the hospitality was fantastic.
    Nothing better than coming to the boat after a hard, wet, cold day of hunting to be asked - "Do you want to warm up in the banya? How about the hot tub? Can I get you a beer? Dinner tonight is..."
    I was ruined.
    Good luck!
    Rob

Those steaks and the hot tub is tough to do. Tiffany's lunches are pretty tough to do as well.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast