Thread: Afognak elk DE711 anyone hunt it before?

Default Afognak elk DE711 anyone hunt it before?

I got lucky and drew DE711 and I thought now is a good time to start planing so has anyone drawn this hunt and can you tell me as much as you can about it.
    Is it better to be flown in or is it possible to base your hunt from a boat. Where do they hang, etc.. anything will be a big help

thanks
    Tony

Got the same permit that's my little bother got. But hey it don't matter to me we been hunting together are hole life amd wouldn't want hunt with no one eles other than him. Were going to us an outfiter to do this hunt

Default Anybody?

Nobody on here has ever had this permit I did a search and not much came up.

Tony we booked today with a outfiter and this hunt hasn't been offered in 6 years. I'll send you a pm with the info.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Nobody on here has ever had this permit I did search and not much came up.

Default Good Luck

I know 2 people that drew elk tags for 715 which is right by 711 unfortunately I can't go with them because I can't get the time off school next fall, but they plan on taking a boat. There are quite a few bays if you look on a map that I'm sure you can hike in from, or I know of some people that have flown in to a couple lakes in that area like Afognak Lake, but that was years ago they did that and don't know if there's still good elk around Afognak Lake.

A friend and I drew elk permits on Afognak several years ago. I'm not sure if your area is close to where we hunted but we hunted out of Kitoi Bay. We hunted ten days before finding elk. I killed a spike and my buddy killed a cow. These were the only elk we saw (about six in the herd, the spike was the biggest bull) but ended up killing a couple nice bucks also. We were lucky because a friend of his was a local at the time and we were able to hunt on mountain bikes. Lots of old logging roads in the area and we had access to a small boat in order to cross a lake, then packed the bikes up the side of a mountain to access the roads. I've hunted Kodiak and several of the other islands but I think Afognak has some of the biggest bears I've seen. Getting your elk will be the first challenge, keeping it may be the second.

You'll have a great time! Afognak is truly a beautiful place.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for the help so far I am going to have a busy fall I go to Kotzebue the first of september and get back around the 23 then its off to Afognak for elk I leave wednesday for Africa get back and go on a week long spring bear hunt. Its going to be a great year.....