Thread: Break in family hunting chain?

Currently Anchorage, home is Northern Ireland

Default Break in family hunting chain?

Has there been a generational break in your family hunting chain? For my Alaska hunting PhD research I would like to speak with hunters whose children have decided not to take up hunting for whatever reason. Perhaps even followed by a successive generation which does hunt. Anyone fit the bill?
    Information on my study and myself available by response.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey Paul how was Dutch... good to see you've made it back around...

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Yeah, I'm back

Yeah PMac,
    My Mom and Dad were total non hunters, partly due to the fact that my Mom's older sister was killed on her honeymoon in a Deer hunting accident. That's a pretty serious hunting family there, hunting Deer on the honeymoon, she had tons of brothers and a few sisters who continued hunting all their lives but it was a heavy hit on her.

So no guns in our house, Ever. There may have been other reasons also but that was a big one. Never knew my Dad actually still had a rifle til I was 17 or so and it was wrapped up downstairs never to be used.
    He was raised in Minnesota and everyone we knew as far as relatives were "Opening Day Deer Harvesters" not trophy guys, never saw a rack on a garage or inside a house among any of them but they sure always put the meat in.

My Dad was stationed in Anchorage in 50's with USAF then stayed through early sixties and never went hunting once. Then we lived north of Denver Colorado (serious hunting state) and again I never even thought of hunting Deer or Elk, not even considered around our house. Not anti-hunting at all, just never mentioned as an option. We were skiers, big time.

Then I come to AK to go to college in Fbks and first roomate is a Total Virginia Whitetail hunter (like infatuated with guns and hunting)

So my Dad heard about that and sent me an old Winchester .22 rifle he picked up from grandma's house in Minnesota (his own when he was a boy )and I have been a somewhat steady hunter ever since, from small game to large, mostly meat interest, one Colorado Mule Deer rack is the only one I have ever kept around. I'm not infatuated by any means as are some but it is The Best Way to experience the woods and I LOVE the WOODS so I grab a rifle when somethings open and get out there, Slow Down and Experience the Forest.

My son is now totally excited about hunting like it is way deep in his blood (his grandpa on his Mom's side is a "limit of Deer every year" kind of guy on Kodiak Island) and we are definitely going to do a lot of hunting together(he's 8yrs and got first .22 last year) pretty good with a slingshot already. Next boy down (3yrs.)is an excellent shot with a rubberband rifle, and I do mean excellent, when he doesn't get too excited playing Bear Hunting.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Yes, but I don't know too much about it. Heck, until I picked up my first gun last year, I didn't know that my mom had ever touched a gun.

Anyway, once I started getting into shooting (and hunting, this year!), she started telling me more.

Basically, my mom never hunted - just couldn't bring herself to do it. But my grandparents did. It was really nice to learn that, since they both died when I was younger. My mom keeps saying "Your Grandfather would be proud of you." any time I talk about the hunting trips we're planning. I'm still going through various relatives trying to get my hands on my Grammy's shotgun.

My parents did not hunt. I don't think anyone in my father's family ever did. My mother's father, my grandfather, taught my brothers and I to hunt, and now we all do. I have two daughters, one is into hunting, the other isn't.

Default No Hunting Lineage

I come from a lineage (mostly Quakers) who did not hunt - not for many generations before me- on both sides of the family.

My best friend and I started hunting before either of us could drive (around 14). We borrowed & shared his grandfather's double - a 12 guage. Each of us took our turn with the gun. By the time we graduated from high school, Grant had finished hunting - I read everything I could and continued to today (age 75).

Neither my son or daughter are much into hunting. My children both have high pressure jobs (in charge of research computing at Indiana Univ. and in charge of classified advertising for several newspapers). My son hunts with me when he can. My daughter was a fisherperson but never a hunter. Grandchildren & great grandchildren?? Time will tell.

Lightbulb

Family-Hunting-Chain / Hunting Lineage...Social Traditions
    or Genetics...Biology
    ???

dennis

Sorry Paul, I made 'em do it.........~~LOL!!~~

Therse a few around here that dont hunt, maby a reason to come back ?? ..........'comon, think about it.....~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Do you want the info here?

Paul, are you asking for people willing to participate in a questionairre study or some later inquiry, or are you asking us to tell all here?

Yes, we have 3 generations of hunters in our family...

Also, some people don't have an opportunity to pass on to their biological children (like maybe they don't have any, or other reasons...) but they pass it on to young people thru being a hunter's ed instructor, taking non-relative kids hunting etc....just another thing to think about in your study.

My late father was a life-long hunter and trapper. He trapped muskrats and sold the pelts to help with family expenses during the great Depression. I started tagging along with him on Saturday upland hunting excursions when I was 5 years old, about the time he started me shooting a single shot .22 rifle. Hunting has been my passion ever since.
    I have 3 children, 2 sons and a daughter, and I started taking them with me at about the same age. I made these hunting trips into 'nature study' field trips, teaching them to identify plant and animal life, and their importance in the eco system, and how hunting fits into the picture. My youngest son has become an enthusiastic and ethical hunter, his older brother says he doesn't see the point in hunting, and my daughter, though not a hunter, is in her third year at the University of Delaware, studying to become a National Park Ranger. She has a keen interest in the outdoors, so I guess those hunting trips have paid off.

Best of luck with your project.
    Jeff

Default This could be a great thread

Thanks Fireman J, good post there,

I really like this Original question, so answered in detail hoping this would turn into a great thread, C'mon folks tell us your heritage,

Mine disappeared for a generation but is back strong in my sons and I am looking for any help from those of you who were raised by hunting fathers/mothers as to how that was passed on. I believe hunting is one of the greatest heritage gifts we have to pass on as Americans and especially Alaskans, probably the best way to make sure our kids are not bored into becoming gangbangers or videomaniacs. So want to make sure my sons are well acquainted with the woods and am up for any advice any of you folks remember your dads did for you to cause you to appreciate the pursuit and taking of game for the table.

Another example is my wife, her grandpa and dad are major meat hunters yet she has not picked it up at all. I thought one of the coolest things about her was that she had killed her first deer with one shot as a teenager, but she isn't interested in a hunt at all now. Recalls not good memories of having many a deer carcass slapped on the kitchen table when Dad came home to be processed by the whole family, tho now she is totally up for making the cuts and grinding when I come home from a successful hunt. I just have to "do it right" in the hanging and boning part. She really appreciates the meat for our carnivorous boys but I would like to figure out how to get her out there with us...

C'mon pass on the gift you guys....
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Currently Anchorage, home is Northern Ireland

Default keep them comin'

These are great responses. Initially Cap'n Ron, I was trying to create opportunities to speak directly with people here in Alaska, and I still do. But I don't want to curtail the participation of those from elsewhere who wish to share something of their experience so keep them comin'.

It's clear that continuity down generations is a major source of pride for hunters on a personal level. It's also apparent that for various reasons some do not follow in those footsteps. I'm particularly interested in what might influence one generation to hunt or not, or one brother to embrace hunting with enthusiasm and the other not, Jeff. And why might a later generation take up hunting again?

What about a female perspective, a mother perhaps. Is there a gender difference in what is passed on, or how, or is it felt more or less influential whether handed down by mother, father or both.....?

Ideally, I'd like to speak with the hunter and the non-hunter - who may even be opposed to hunting - in the one family. Follow a generational trail of interviews in this part of my study, if you like.

Anyone who doesn't want to post detailed replies can contact me by PM or pmccreary01@qub.ac.uk

Vince, Dutch was great for a few days, lively and welcoming, though I'm not sure if I could spend too much time with just so many eagles.

Stranger, you know I'm constantly thinkin' about goin' back, so don't be surprised if I make it a third time.

Paul

I come from a long lineage of hunters...my grandads grandad was a mountain man in the rockies and bitterroots mountains of northern idaho...i was born here in AK and was raised to be a hunter, my dads pride and joy......my older brother was and is totally uninterested in hunting, my little brother never got a chance, as he was killed by a car in front of our house at age 2........i am the only hunter in this generation. i may be the last as i am unable to have kids of my own it is upseting....but i am trying to get my nephew into it...but it seems like a long shot.

Release Lake Trout

I know my granpa used to fish a great deal and I believe that he hunted though he died before I was old enough to remember him.

My dad hunted though not especially successful at it. His brothers pretty much all hunt down in Alabama to this day. My dad was a dedicated meat hunter and had little use for anything but moose or caribou. I hunted with him a little bit as a kid, usually 1 or 2 small game trips and 1 moose or bou trip a year. I always loved those trips!! I got infatuated with Sheep at 14 when we drew a nelchina tag and while hunting caribou we had a group of Dalls cross the valley near our camp. My dad had no interest in climbing mountain after sheep when there was much larger game to be had at sane elevations so I was never able to go. After I moved away my dad put his guns away and eventually moved out of the state. He didn't pull them out again until I told him I was moving back to AK, at that time he gave me every single one. He keeps talking about getting back into hunting but never seems to. Sadly I think for him it was more about spending time with me than anything else, once that was gone he just doesn't have the desire.

My sister never hunted, I don't recall her ever shooting anything though she does know how to shoot a rifle. She married a southern boy who likes to hunt and fish so her kids are carrying on the tradition

My FIL and his son hunt, though not with the same passion I do. They have done some fly outs for deer down on Kodiak. I know the FIL grew up in the mid west and hunted as a boy. I believe his dad did as well and passed it down to him.

My wife never went and was actually afraid of guns! I took her out shooting and let her fire of some rounds out of my 44mag. She was hooked!! She now owns several guns of her own and has an affinity for buying me new ones. After cracking the gun fear thing we had to deal with her not wanting to kill things. I told her we needed meat (she aggreed) and I put us both in for Cow tags. She won and was totally nervous about it!! The moment came and she had no problem pulling the trigger and dropping her first moose in 2008. That was our last hunt together but there will be more. School and my work has been chewing up too much of our time these days.

My moms dad never hunted that I am aware of. He was a corporate VP and played golf. Mom never hunted either, I never so much as saw her fire a gun. Oddly her brother is an avid hunter and so is his wife. They are dedicated meat hunters and like my dad had little use for anything beyond moose and bou except the occasional small game trip.

My cousins (above uncle's kids) both hunt. The oldest has been pretty successful while the youngest has yet to harvest anything. The older brother is pretty much up for hunting anything any where any time. The older brother also loves to fish and will spend hours thigh deep in a stream, the younger one will go and work the PU fish wheel and go dig clams but that is about it.

I am the raging lunatic hunter. For me there is no spring/summer/fall/winter. There is predator/bear/fish/big game. I have dozens of trips planned out in detail, enough to fill a decades worth of seasons. I am the only one in the family ever to fly out for remote hunts. The only one to be obsessed with mountain hunting. Most of my family see's a moose as the ultimate animal to hunt in AK. I enjoy hunting them, don't mind packing them out but I don't get super excited about it like I do Goats, Sheep, or alpine black bears.

My boys. It is hard to tell what the future holds but the two oldest (6 & 8) really enjoy going out with me. The oldest is probably more into it than his little brothers but they all have a good time. I see a lot of me in the oldest boy, and honestly I figure I am just a few years away from having a die hard hunting partner till I am to old to haul my hind end up the mountains. Perhaps I will be lucky and they will all be into it. I could see many happy campfires w/ my boys and a heavily laden meat pole.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Family-Hunting-Chain / Hunting Lineage...Social Traditions
    or Genetics...Biology
    ???

Dennis
    Dennis... Paul is working on his PhD in Social Anthropology.. had a great time with him here in Fairbanks last month... Not sure his car enjoyed it..but i did LOL
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Bump it up.
    Wow, I thought this was going to be a good'un.
    Let's help this guy out with his edjumacation!

Jeff

My sons wants to hunt, however, because of kids sports nowadays it's very difficult to be able to hunt. Especially with the short hunting season here.
    My oldest plays comp and high school hockey. Mandatory practices begin in August with games starting as early as Labor Day Weekend...and there's something mandatory almost every weekend until at least late March (including Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years). Combine that with our short hunting season and it's basically no hunting. It may not be as much of an issue in the lower 48 where there's something in season from mid-Sept through January.
    The pressure and emphasis placed on kids sports today is nuts.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

I come from a family that had no hunting tradition, but it must have been in my genes somewhere. I started trapping and hunting myself when I was 11 (back in '69). I devoured everything I could about hunting and trapping, I made all my money through high school trapping muskrat, beaver, etc. My parents were supportive. My older brother never really hunted it the true sense of the word, but he went out on occasion and just shot stuff, with no regard for hunting seasons, never bought a license, never read about hunting or really studied the animals he "hunted". I was always very conscientious about the regulations, and was interested in the animals that I pursued. During my brother's college years he became quite a bunny hugger, and still is to this day. My hunting activity has just increased with age.

Hunting runs in the blood in my family, from both sides. My great grandparents, from both sides were avid hunters, sometimes for sport and always to help fill the larder. My father's mother's father, (ain't that a mouthfull) hunted mostly solely to feed his 8 children. Rabbits, squirrels, and ducks on the water or quail on the ground were the order of the day for him.
    Greatgandad on Dad's side was a hunter of game big small and feathered, as well as being an avid fisherman. He harvested the last bear shot in Oklahoma, in about 1919 or therabouts, that "record" held until this past year when bear season was successfully held with 19 bears harvested. He also used to travel yearly to Colorado to hunt bears, mule deer, and elk, he started going on these trips sometime in the 50's and continued until he was 80 in 1984.

My mother's grandparents from both sides were hunters, mostly small game with the occasional deer thrown in for good measure.

My Mom's father hunted deer, turkeys and small game to feed his family of 6 children. He is pushing 80 now but still gets out to hunt from time to time, and even harvests a deer occasionally with his trusty 30-30. Mom's only brother is an avid hunter, following in his father's footsteps. Of the sisters I beleive my mother is the only one to do much hunting, but they all loike to fish. My mother has taken many dove in Septembers past, and even shot a darn nice 10pt whitetail one year.

My grandfather on Dads side is an outdoorsman extrodinaire, he turned 78 about a week ago and continues to hunt and fish every year. He has been a small game hunter from a young age, and graduated to big game hunting while he was in the service in the 50's. He goes on the family deer and elk hunt in Colorado every year and stays the full 12 days up in the mountains, he has not missed this trip since 1955. In the old days when he was younger they would go up to the same area were we hunt foday and stay until all his tags were filled, sometimes up to a month in a tent. I spent alot of time hunting and fishing with as a small child an I consider myself all the better for it.

My father and both of his brothers continue to be avid hunters, although they don't fish nearly as much as they once did. None of them have missed the Colorado trip since about 1978 or 9. And they all hunt deer out on the ranch each fall. They are also avid upland hunters, and have been raising bird dogs for a long time.

As far as my generation goes, I guess it is about 50/50 concerning hunters to non hunters. Of the grandkids on Mom's side they range from a couple who live to hunt one or two that drag out ole trusty rusty for opening day of deer season, all the way to one who is vehemently against any kind of hunting, fishing or even eating meat.

On Dad's side I guess I am the only die hard in the bunch, the only other boy hunts occasionally but doesn't get too worked up if he misses season or can't go. My sister usd to enjoy bird hunting with Mom, Dad, and Me, but as sshe got older her interests and priorities changed, there may be hope for her yet as she love to come up here and salmon fish with me in the summer. The next oldest girl shows some interest in hunting and I built her a deer rifle, but she is currently a Jr in high school so time will tell. The two youngest girls are sisters, and seem to really enjoy hunting and fishing. I put together a 30-30 for the oldest to hunt deer with and she seems very excited about the coming fall, both her and the younger one love to hunt waterfowl, so for the time being the fire is still alive in them.

I grew up in a wonderful, outdoors oreinted family, with my father, uncles, and grandfather being wonderfully knowledgable outdoorsmen, and some of my best friends as I grew up. I only hope that I may pass that on to my children some day, although they are yet to be born.