Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 years straight... can you believe it?

Default 8 years straight... can you believe it?

Another year passes with me drawing a big fat goose egg. Go Figure!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I went 21 years applying for a Farewell Bison tag without drawing. Finally just said the hell with it.

Question

Sorta makes that "Bonus Point System" worth looking at, don't it?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I had put in for different permits for over thirty years before drawing a moose permit last year...and I'll probably keep right on donating.
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Another year passes with me drawing a big fat goose egg. Go Figure!

well Bro.. i am averging. . 1 in 14years myself.. now this oldest kiddo of mine is 3 in 4 years

the missus 2 in 2.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Danielle, Did you spell your name right on the apps for those 8 years?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GreginAlaska View Post
    I had put in for different permits for over thirty years before drawing a moose permit last year...and I'll probably keep right on donating.
    YEP,
    and that was when the competition was thirty times less than what it is today.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Wink Daniel... RUB RUB RUB...

oh turns out they HAND enter the mail ins...

somewhere i heard that if you put your permit in the m******* it does something to the ink that gets you drawn by the scanner.... and GARUNTEES a draw...

man... sure glad i laughed that one off
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by GreginAlaska View Post
    well greg you figured out your nitch last year...

one major sugery scheduled before each hunt opening... will get you drawn...

DID you ever get out last year at all?

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    well greg you figured out your nitch last year...

one major sugery scheduled before each hunt opening... will get you drawn...

DID you ever get out last year at all?
    Hmmm...well I figured it was either the surgery or the threat of a lawsuit over them drawing the unit 20 moose in the summer instead of the winter. heh

No I didn't do anything. The doctor didn't want me firing a rifle with any recoil at all...and he would not sign a statement saying I was 70% disabled. He still doesn't want me to fire my .338...oh well, I'll just watch the guys work on my house instead.
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

I was looking to get that disabled moose hunt.... No luck... Goosed

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

yes I can Im at 31 years now

Default Not disappointed

I would rather apply and not be successful for ten or fifteen years than have it turn into a point system. The random drawing turns it into Christmas morning every year. You never know what you’re going to get. I didn’t draw anything this year. I definitely had fun doing my research for draw opportunities and look forward to doing it again next year.

Your all rookies. I been putting in for 3-5 permits a year since 1977 and have not been drawn.
    F&G system is crooked and their department is full of idiots. Until they go to a point system AND refund people who do not receive permits it will never change.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Your all rookies. I been putting in for 3-5 permits a year since 1977 and have not been drawn.
    F&G system is crooked and their department is full of idiots. Until they go to a point system AND refund people who do not receive permits it will never change.
    There are no states that refund application fees. Some states make you submit the entire cost of the tag, and they refund that minus the application fee if you were not drawn. There is now a point system coming into being for at least bison. Why is it that as soon as people are not drawn accusatins of F&G being crooked and they are idiots surface? I've put in more than 3-5 hunts a year since 98 and drew one goat tag on Kodiak, not my primary and there were enough permits where the percentage was way up there. It was predicted in the other thread, those that drew are happy, those that didn't are cussing and moaning that everything is unfair.

Luck is a huge part of it, but so is the permit selection (% chance to draw) and the # of applications. I always put in for 3 caribou, 3 moose, 3 brown bear, 3 bison, 3 sheep, and 3 goat permits. I put in for 18 tags this year, plus my wife put in for 14, and we didn't draw anything. That being said, with kid #2 on the way this year, we put in for closer-to-home tags and thus lower odds tags, so I'm not surprised that we didn't draw anything. I figure with putting in for 18 tags per year, I can have a reasonable expectation of drawing something once every three or four years. Putting in only a few applications for low odds hunts, well...the percentages aren't in your favor.

Default 3% this time

I usually totally strategize on the supplement, looking at the percentage draws in past and go for a couple low percentage ones just for dreams sake then try for several really high percentage ones. I try to keep my investment in the system realistic to keep my wrestling match with disappointment to a minimum, my limit is $75

So I can hardly believe I drew on a 3% chance hunt, Raspberry Bull Elk, first opening, with only seven other hunters in the field at the same time,for twelve days, on an Island with close boat access for ease of packing all around. Absolutely my dream come true. Thanks God. I totally do not deserve that kind of Favor,

I must say this though, I absolutely do not believe in luck,

I was rescued in a survival suit after an afternoon and evening in 25 ft seas a few yrs back and it seemed the Most Ludicrous thing imaginable to hear people say, "You are the luckiest guy I know"

There is so much more going on than that,
    that being said, I have to advise everybody, "Really Be Careful With How You React To Missing Out" this time. It All Factors In.....

PS am NOT implying conspiracy at all, it's spirit realm stuff I'm talking about
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I drew a moose tag this year, a cow tag in Delta in 2007, an Elk tag in Idaho in 2004 and that's about it. It's just literally, luck of the draw.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Dustinwe View Post
    I would rather apply and not be successful for ten or fifteen years than have it turn into a point system. The random drawing turns it into Christmas morning every year. You never know what you’re going to get. I didn’t draw anything this year. I definitely had fun doing my research for draw opportunities and look forward to doing it again next year.
    Totally agree!!! I get stoked when my friends draw!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    Totally agree!!! I get stoked when my friends draw!!!
    Wish I had friends like that, when I draw and start looking for partners I tend to hear the distinct sound of crickets...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast