Thread: The Medallion Foundation

Default The Medallion Foundation

I am a little confused on them. Can I use their simulator for free? I have a currant private and medical, but do not fly for a living.

Yes, you can participate in their program and use the sims for fee as long as you have at least a student pilot license. Give them a call.

Thumbs up YES!!

I am one of the instructors down there and HIGHLY recommend doing that!!! The only sim you need an instructor to check you out in is the super cub motion sim. Everything else is sort of figure it out on your own or if there is an instructor around, they might give you a few mins of instruction, and you should be good to go. They have a list of instructors that are qualified to help you. Let me know if you have any questions, or need any help.

I wish more people would utilize them, they are a great tool!! and did I say FREEE!!!!

Default pilot response

FREE!! holy crap, is there free food too? be careful or you'll get as run on the place from every airline guy on a lay-over!

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    I am one of the instructors down there and HIGHLY recommend doing that!!! The only sim you need an instructor to check you out in is the super cub motion sim. Everything else is sort of figure it out on your own or if there is an instructor around, they might give you a few mins of instruction, and you should be good to go. They have a list of instructors that are qualified to help you. Let me know if you have any questions, or need any help.

I wish more people would utilize them, they are a great tool!! and did I say FREEE!!!!
    So I just go to the building on Lake Otis with my license and that"s it?

Default yup

yeah pretty much, you can give them a call and see if there is a specific sim available, but Yeah, I would just stop in and get the tour, and then figure out what you want to do. You can call me if you want to do the super cub sim, it is a blast. I have put maybe 10-15 students thru the super cub sim before giving tailwheel instruction, and it was a big help for the students. It is pretty good to get the fundamentals down, but nothing beats the real deal, but it did give these students a big jump on the whole process when we got into the actual airplane. The other sims are "ok" for vfr stuff, but where they really help is when doing IFR training, plus you can log up to 10 hrs towards your instrument rating.

Get a run on it from guys on layovers......yeah that happened last year after the airmens show, I bet I got 20 heavy drivers checked out in that thing!! Hey I figure any extra training can help!!

Like i said, stop in and have fun, it a great resource!!! and FFFRREEEEEEE!!!!

yeah pretty much, you can give them a call and see if there is a specific sim available, but Yeah, I would just stop in and get the tour, and then figure out what you want to do. You can call me if you want to do the super cub sim, it is a blast. I have put maybe 10-15 students thru the super cub sim before giving tailwheel instruction, and it was a big help for the students. It is pretty good to get the fundamentals down, but nothing beats the real deal, but it did give these students a big jump on the whole process when we got into the actual airplane. The other sims are "ok" for vfr stuff, but where they really help is when doing IFR training, plus you can log up to 10 hrs towards your instrument rating.

Get a run on it from guys on layovers......yeah that happened last year after the airmens show, I bet I got 20 heavy drivers checked out in that thing!! Hey I figure any extra training can help!!

Like i said, stop in and have fun, it a great resource!!! and FFFRREEEEEEE!!!!
    Do you happen to know a member of the foundation that is a retired ATP from Australia? Noticeable Aussie accent. I think his name was Gene something.[I can't make out his Signature in my logbook] He was my last instructor at Aero Tech[ he signed off on my private check ride].
    He was big on it, and that's how I first leaned of it.

Default ???

There is a couple of guys that fit that description, but i don't remember there names. Give a call over there. ASk for marina she would know, shes the behind the scenes worker bee, and she has been there awhile and knows EVERYBODY!

Do you happen to know a member of the foundation that is a retired ATP from Australia? Noticeable Aussie accent. I think his name was Gene something.[I can't make out his Signature in my logbook] He was my last instructor at Aero Tech[ he signed off on my private check ride].

His name is Glen Morthorpe. Glen is still in Anchorage, flying full time now but I think he still works for Medallion Foundation part time.

Quote Originally Posted by tralika View Post

His name is Glen Morthorpe. Glen is still in Anchorage, flying full time now but I think he still works for Medallion Foundation part time.
    Yeah, that's the name. I don't know if it was because of the Medallion thing, but in the brief time I spent with him he had me do more engine failures then my previous 5 CFI's combined.

You can call me if you want to do the super cub sim, it is a blast.
    Done. I want in.

Seriously, I started my Cub/tailwheel endorsement last fall, but we had some avionics issues and I never finished. I'm planning to get it done in May, but spending some time in the sim beforehand (and afterwards) would be great.

How far in advance does one need to schedule? Do I need to bring my license with me? Logbooks?

Default Brian

yeah bring your lisc. Just give a call, and see what the schedule is like, then you can call me or one of the other CFII's on the approved list. Right now it will be starting to get busy, and then the move it around in the summer, when it comes back down to ANC in the fall it is really easy to get into it. In the fall I am usually pretty slow too (except for the hunting!!) Right Now I have alot of Bi-Annual flight reviews to do. But i can always try to fit you in on a not so great WX day.
    just pm me for more info
    Tim