Thread: Koyukuk Rules

Default Koyukuk Rules

Just a quick question for those of you that have hunted the Koyukuk DM828/830. Me and my wife drew the early 828 tag and our buddy drew the 830 tag, what is the rule if we wanted to go the last week of our 828 season and stay over with him on his first week of the 830 season? Do we have to come all the way back to Galena to check out and then go back in or what? Also can he pick his tag up one the way in with us and not fill it of course until the late season opens? Just trying to get the logistics figuard out so we can go to planning. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would go right to fish and game (or known now as we help out or friends for permits) with that question.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    Just a quick question for those of you that have hunted the Koyukuk DM828/830. Me and my wife drew the early 828 tag and our buddy drew the 830 tag, what is the rule if we wanted to go the last week of our 828 season and stay over with him on his first week of the 830 season? Do we have to come all the way back to Galena to check out and then go back in or what? Also can he pick his tag up one the way in with us and not fill it of course until the late season opens? Just trying to get the logistics figuard out so we can go to planning. Thanks in advance for your help.
    First off you only need to check in/out at Ellas cabin which is just a few (15 or so) miles up the Koyukuk. The tags will be sent to you and I don't think that F&G can say anything about going in early, as long as your not hunting before your date comes up.

If I remember correctly they have specific days when they start issuing the permits. Call the biologist in Galena and he will give you all you need to know. I am not sure about the legality but what would concern me with the plan is keeping the first moose from spoiling if you get them early and then wait for the late season to fill the other tag. Short of only hunting the last few days of the first hunt it might be difficult. It depends on the year but you can have high temperatures or rainy wet spells that can really hinder letting the moose hang for a long period of time. You never know what the weather will bring in September on the Koyukuk.

After 13 trips down there I finally drew my first tag for the area so I will be in the vicinity as well.

Good Luck!

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the information so far. This is the third yr in a row for my budies going down but usually its all late season and this is the first yr hunting with tags. Planning for 14days doesn't really concern us as far as the meat goes. The past trip have all been planed for 10-12 days and never last longer than 4-5 due to killing out. So we are trying to hunt the last 7 days of the early and the first 7 days of the late hunt. Worst case is we have to make a mid trip back to Galena to ship meat back and then head back up to finish out.