Thread: Life size Regrets

Default Life size Regrets

Curious how many people here have had a life size mount of a big game animal and later regretted doing it. I don't know if I'll ever have a dude room any larger than an office, so I'm thinking the space consumed by sayyyyy a brown bear (even upright) or the pain of relocating an animal that size may catch up to me. Not sure I would be interested in donating the animal either. Thoughts?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have thought about that often over the years that if i got a truly magnificent bear... what would i do with it...

and have come to the conclusion that i would find some shop that wanted to display it for others to see... with a caveat of return should anything happen to them...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The one in my avatior is to big to put in any house that has a 8' ceiling but I have tried it in a couple of house's, lol.

I still look forward to building a house around it.

A lot of people have approched me to hang it in there place, ( lodge's, and store's) and I just can't do it. I have had that rack for 37 year's, and it was my first. ( 13 at the time)

The cost anymore to get them done is not worth it. That rack was on a outside wall for over 10 years, and shrank 7" each way, then I had a guy I worked with that said he could bring it back to life, and did it in 30 day's.

The cost, $125.00.

It was worth it.

Jimmy,

I will say one thing, if I killed a trophy Brown bear, You bet I'm going to lifesize it . I have a special place for one in my house, right in the foyer in the main entry way. The main reason is, rugging takes alot of wall space that can be used for shoulder mounts....someday hopefully...

If anyone is stuck with a lifesize they don't have room for they can contact me. I have a couple hundred feet of empty upper wall space in my store begging for more mounts

Right now I'm displaying a bunch for one of my high school teachers while he builds a new house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default regret

A Dr. I work for had a lifesize goat done. He thought it looked like a urinating goat so cut the head off and hauled the body to the dump.

A week later my coworker said here husband goat this great new archery target from the dump. I asked what it was......a headless goat.

Hey Doug, how old are some of those sheep. some don't look like they reach all the way around.

J/K, Nice looking display.

I just can't part with mine, it's the only one that I've kept, and kinda selfish about sharing it with other's. lol.

I guess the reason that I don't let someone else show it off, is that I need to see it everyday to remind me of what it was like back then. What it took to get the critter, and all those that followed.

I guess you can say that rack is a part of my hunting history, after I'm gone, I might leave it to a place, but til then it's a reminder of all the hunt's that I have had the pleasure of taking part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Urban View Post
    Not sure I would be interested in donating the animal either. Thoughts?
    When I shot my good-sized griz, I called around to a few places and asked about them helping to pay for a mount with the option to have it in their establishment x-number of years...couldn't find anyone and being fresh into college and nowhere to put the thing, I decided to rug it...

I'll bet someday I will regret not going life-sized, but its too late now!

I do not regret getting my first blackie mounted in life size. I had a friend complete the taxidermy work. Therefor I did not pay a lot. The work was professional quality. I had a sitting mount done so he took up as little room as possible. Also that is almost exactly how the bear was when I first saw him on the trail cam. His foot was a little closer to his mouth though. He was licking molasses off his feet and fell over in the trail cam video.

I can't afford, nor do I have room for a life size brownie. I will rug one for sure.

One way to save a few hundred on a bear rug is not to have all of the frilly stuff added on the sides. have your taxidermists put in the head, stretch and even the hide--then send it off to you.

One decision I made while having a moose shoulder mount completed was detachable antlers. I thought I paid for two detachable antlers, but ended up with one. Long story... Anyway, I am glad I had at least one done. I have no idea how I would have moved a 62" moose through a door without at least one detachable antler.

For the most part, I'm not a fan of bear rugs. I mean if my "pad" reeked of leather bound books and mahogany wood floors and I had the space to lay out the rug in front of my stacked stone fireplace, then maybe...but to hang a rug on the wall??? Naahhhh.

I really like the looks of a shoulder/pedestal mount for brown bear. That is sorta the direction I am headed. That gives me the option to sport some bear claw "bling" around my neck. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    When I shot my good-sized griz, I called around to a few places and asked about them helping to pay for a mount with the option to have it in their establishment x-number of years...couldn't find anyone and being fresh into college and nowhere to put the thing, I decided to rug it...

I'll bet someday I will regret not going life-sized, but its too late now!
    good-sized...... LOL.....

I had a client take a beautiful blond, ivory clawed, 9' brown bear once. He had a rug done, he really regretted not having a life-size done after he saw the life-size mount his son did of his 9'6" bear that he took on the same hunt.

Default Not yet...

I have a life sized chocolate black bear and haven't regretted it a second. I do think that one day I'll regret not having room to do a life size mox.

Hey Doug, how old are some of those sheep. some don't look like they reach all the way around.
    Representative of 30+ years of hunting (that antelope is from 1963) from my friend. So, yes, some of those sheep came from the 3/4 days. I think he has a total of 13 mounted sheep. A couple are in our highschool who's mascot is the ram.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Never

I have a life sized goat, wolverine, and brown bear not to mention several heads and rugs. I love them and people are always coming over to see my mounts. It's fun to show them, but like Rockskipper said, I just love having them and seeing them every day reminding me of great hunts. Jimmy urban said he likes a shoulder or pedistal mount of a bear but I hate to waste that much of a nice skin, on the other hand, I did make the "bear claw bling" out of the griz I took last fall on my sheep hunt. Cool stuff (though my wife thinks I'm weird) I won't wear it, but it looks cool as a display. I also have to say, getting a 9 1/2' standing brown bear through a regular sized front door is like a Chinese puzzle. It takes a lot of thinking, twisting and turning. No regrets on any mounts here though.
    Attached Images Attached Images