Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the Rancher,

Default Question about the Rancher,

Looking at the manual shift, because don't want probablems with the elec. down the line. I hav'nt looked at the newer ones yet, so a little info would be apperacitated. Is the manual shifter still down by the left foot, and if so is there enough room for a bunny boot to get underneath it?

Thank's for the help. I'm kinda old school on these thing's, and am not sure of all the new gadgets that they have come out with.

Default I

have a Rancher and love it. The manual is great but with bigger boots it is a little tight. Bunny boots might be a problem.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thank's Dave, is the shifter still on the floor on the newer one's? ( 2009-2010)

I have an 04 Rancher with electric shift. I have had issues with the electric shift in the past, the main issue was water getting in the plugs. What I did is put electric grease in all the plugs as to waterproof them. Had that thing in water deeper than I should and havent had an issue since. But if I had to do it again I would get the manual shift, less potential issues and I prefer manual for quads. Cant answer the question about the bunny boots though, might have to go to honda dealer wearing some bunny boots and test it out The ES is nice though when doing water crossings and such so you dont get your feet wet if you need to shift. Good luck with it, them new ranchers are nice!

Thanks blasterak,

I'm an old fashion kinda guy and don't know to much about the elec shift.

Have a 1990, (200) 2 wheel drive, 20 years old, manual shift and the thing just won't quit. That one is at the cabin, and has 5 time's payed for itself.

Back then they did't have the floor board's on them as I guess you would call them,( they used to just have the peg's like a motorcycle)

Just looking for a motorized wheel chair something not big, but want to get of the house, and take the dog for a walk and get a little fresh air.

I just got approved, so I guess I'm going to go down and look at them and see what is avalable.

Anymore imput before I go would be welcome.

Default 420 Rancher

I own two Rancher's a 2000 350 manual shift and a 2007 420 ES. The older 350 is a bullet proof machine but he 420 with the electric shift is much nicer to drive. It's really nice to be able to push a button and shift gears when you’re in mud, water, or wearing heavy winter boots.

I've never had a problem with the ES and it has about 1700 miles on it but if the ES ever does fail it comes with a lever in the tool kit that you can install and shift it like a manual shift wheeler. I've seen guys have to do this on the older models and it seems to work really well. I personally would buy the ES it's really nice when your out hunting and you get stuck in a mud hole to be able to put your wheeler in reverse without putting your foot in the mud and getting soaked when the muddy water runs in the top of your boot.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

ES the elec shift is an auto matic tranny like in a truck or car. put it in drive and go.. or select the manual button mode.. i have it on my o4 and 3000 miles or better and NO problems at all.. Honda does make a good tranny..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Thanks blasterak,

I'm an old fashion kinda guy and don't know to much about the elec shift.

Have a 1990, (200) 2 wheel drive, 20 years old, manual shift and the thing just won't quit. That one is at the cabin, and has 5 time's payed for itself.

Back then they did't have the floor board's on them as I guess you would call them,( they used to just have the peg's like a motorcycle)

Just looking for a motorized wheel chair something not big, but want to get of the house, and take the dog for a walk and get a little fresh air.

I just got approved, so I guess I'm going to go down and look at them and see what is avalable.

Anymore imput before I go would be welcome.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thank's guy's, it sound's like it will be another $250.00 to get it installed, but probably worth it.

Default Try a rocker shifter

Arctic Cat uses rocker shifters on their manual shift atv's. They work great and are easy to get use to. You can buy them for most brands of utility atv. I think Dennis Kurk or Rocky MT. has them.

Well I wen't down and signed the paper's today, this is the first piece of equipment that was brand new out of the box that I have ever bought, pick it up tommorow. ( that include's all my rig's.) I have alway's thought that you could get a better deal on something used, but the dang 4-wheeler's don't go down on there value, so I thought it better to buy a new one, rather than buy someone eles's headack.

Wish me luck, I pick it up tommorow straight out of the crate, lol. and yes they are putting the ,E.S. on it. (Elec. Shift)

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Congradulations on the new toy Rock Skipper. My wife has an 06 Rancher with ES. Very reliable machine. Vince is correct about Honda's tanny's.

Thank's, This is a 2010, and I have a total of 5 miles on it as of today.

Trying to break it in slowly.

There are some things that concern me like the water resivor being exposed in the back of the machine, the amount of fuses, but all in all I think it will be just fine.

I did ask the guy what was the biggest reason for them coming back to the shop, and he said it was the battery. He said if you don't ride them at least once a month the bat. need's to be charged. I asked him if you disconnected the cable if that would help, and he said no, you still need to charge them once a month if they are not being used. ( thinking to find another kinda battery, the one in my little honda 200 has never been charged since I took it to the cabin and its sits all winter. Go up hit the button and has plenty of power and has never let me down, been there for almost 12 years now.)

But yes I think it was a good investment.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

That is true about the battery, with the digital memory on the ranchers I think there is a constant drain on the system, if for nothing else than running the battery and maintaining the internal memory of milage and hours. None of the older machines I used had any electronic memory items.

That and I have come to think the batteries the manufacturers are using now are inferior to the aftermarket batteries available. I changed out our Ranchers battery the year after I bought it and zero problems since. It does get at least started and ran for a while monthly, especially when I'm deployed and it sits a while.

On most items nowdays, I kind of think of the battery as routine maintenance, something I need/want to change out every two or three years. Just to be on the safe side.

Ralph, what battery did you get?

You can P.M. me if this is against the rules. However I think alot of people would like to know.

Did you get the IRS version or the SRA? My wife owned a 2004 Rancher and now owns a 2009 Rancher with the IRS and EPS. The model Vince was talking about has the 420 motor in it and they all didn't come with the auto available on them. Only thing I don't like about the new Ranchers are the high gearing when in 1st gear, they don't crawl like my Foreman does in 1st.

If your going to change out the battery i'd recommend going with an Interstate, Alaska ATV Salvage in Eagle River is where I bought mine.

I got the 420FEA, Dos'nt have the IRS, and dos'nt have the power steering. It has the elec. shift.

It does have the digatal read out. Its the 2010 model.

1rst gear is pretty low on this thing, it was crawling through a foot of snow with no problem in 2 wheel drive with factory tires.

Thanks on the info for the interstate bat., I'll see if I can find one up here.

Does it have the Traxlox lever on it too? That was one of the best options, next to power steering, that we got on her machine.

Traxlox lever? If you are talking about the 2-wheel drive - to - 4 wheel drive, yes it does.

LOL.......I realized after asking that stupid question that you had already posted previously that you used it in 2wd, my bad.

No problem, it is kinda nice.

I tried to go through about a foot and a half of snow, and had to put it into 4 wheel to back out.

I don't even have 10 miles on it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast