Thread: new rib and plank squre

Default new rib and plank square stern

thought some of you might be interested in the pics of a new 20ft grand laker I have been building. Ceder rib and plank, square stern waiting for it to warm up a bit to fiberglass[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/steven%20wilcox/Desktop/new%20canoe/new%20canoe0001.JPG[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by birchhillcamps; 04-09-2010 at 13:44. Reason: trying to fix spelling

one more pic with the stern in
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice!

Post again when you get it completed please.

I will post some more pic when complete, trying to edit fix some spelling here but don't look like it going to take ?

Very nice. But I sure wouldn't want to scrape that over the rocks and beaver dams like we do up here. Makes me wince just thinking about it. Still, I'd love to take a ride in a canoe like that.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

we got rocks and beaver dams and plenty of logs in the water over here, they take a fair amount of abuse, as much as a regulator fiberglass canoe, I do put a keel on them which helps a bit when you beach them. and can build one for less than half the cost of a Scott, course that's not figuring anything for my time.

Default Grand Laker

Beautiful boat. Keep us posted on your progress.

What are the dimensions of your GL, and anticipated finished weight? And are you going to cover it with canvas, fiberglass, or, maybe Kevlar? How does your design compare to Gil Gilpatrick's GL plan, i.e., dimensions?

Default back yard canoe

it sure looks good keep us filled in on the progress of your canoe
    what will be the weight of the canoe an what is the figures max W, max L,
    an min hight in the middle

"What are the dimensions of your GL, and anticipated finished weight? And are you going to cover it with canvas, fiberglass, or, maybe Kevlar? How does your design compare to Gil Gilpatrick's GL plan, i.e., dimensions? "

20 ft more or less the stem can change a bit spring when you take it off the form, and depending on where exactly the stern goes in it can be + or- a few inches. it is 52 inches wide i think, gotta go measure it i should know, but the same here some you got to pull it back into shape once it comes off the form. The back dose stay a bit wider, going back through.
    I use just regular boat yard resin fiberglass, yea i know west system is better, and that's what i use if making a stripper, but this rib and plank has a lot more built in strength over a stripper.
    As I have posted before I don't care for gils GL I want a deeper canoe, I have seen them and know some who have made them from his patterns, Don't get me wrong got a lot of respect for Gil, and his books, just don't like that plan, try to get a pic before the summer out with Gil's 20 ft and one of mine side by side. there is a lot of different 20 ft models out there everyone has there own use, and idea what a good canoe, and most have there place.