Thread: Hunter Safety

Default Hunter Safety

I have been looking at Safety Flyers/Posters for a work project and came across this. I found it to be interesting. Any feedback?

www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/hrsiflyer2002.pdf

Pretty much the same data we were taught in our instructor course. Hunting has become more safe because of mandatory hunter education..simple as that.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

ARR,

The flyer begins: "what are they doing about Hunting Injuries" [my emphasis]

Just my take, but this flyer is as much about telling non-hunters what hunters are doing to prevent accidents, to minimize dangers to non-hunters, and to sell the fact that hunting likely isn't as dangerous as some may think, as it is about actual hunter safety for hunters.

It is, after all, from the DEC of that state, do you know if our DEC puts out anything similar?

Default I doubt it

DEC, Dept of Environmental Conservation, to the best of my knowledge in AK deals with strictly environmental issues such as waste, erosion, pollution, etc. I'm sure somebody can correct me if I missed something. I'd think the entity in AK partnering with hunters is F&G.
    I found the brochure interesting. If taken at face value, fairly informative.
    I wonder what other high population states see for hunter injuries related to firearms and which direction their trends are going? I rarely hear about AK having much of a problem, but then our population is less too.
    I thought most states had mandates regarding hunter orange. According to the printing in 2003, NY did not, but there was information as to how usage does enhance safety. For myself, I normally wear hunter orange when hunting upland game, and will wear it where I think I might run into other big game hunters.
    Perhaps information like this works at 2 levels. The first showing hunters how efforts are making a positive difference related to safety, and secondly to show non-hunters that there are efforts to increase safety for everybody.

ADF&G runs hunter safety in our state. http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index.cfm?adfg=he.main

Alaska, because of it's low population, does not receive the kind of funding New York does for hunter education. I doubt they have any publication out there like the N.Y. one. The kind of information included in that New York flier is taught in both the Alaska online and traditional basic hunter ed classes and is included the workbooks the students receive in their packets.

Hunter orange is taught and encouraged in the Alaska courses, but it's not mandated yet. We still have a low occurrence of hunters shooting other hunters, but tragically it still happened last year on Kalgin Island.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Years ago

I was in the CG in New Hampshire.
    The opening day of deer season one guy shot his son who was 12 feet up in a tree stand cause he heard the tree rustle (yes the son had oragne on)and just hours later a lady was shot while she stood in her kitchen (wearing a flower print house robe) doing the dishes cause the hunter saw movement

From what I had heard that was pretty normal there and then.

I don't think we have these problems much