Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So which has better "stopping power" the .45acp or the .40S&W

Default So which has better "stopping power" the .45acp or the .40S&W

I am thinking of a pistol upgrade from my .38special. Concealed carry is not an issue, as I prefer the .38 for that.
    I'm just looking for a good Home Defense weapon to backup my 12ga that I already have...and to have some fun shooting at the range.

I travel to Kalifornia to visit relatives sometime so I want to limit my choice to 10rd magazines ONLY. (that's enaough for me).

I have narrowed it down to choosing between the .45acp and the .40.
    No question in my mind a Glock21SF or Glock22SF (fit's my hand perfect), and I just can't decide on the caliber.

So which has better ONE SHOT "stopping power" the .45acp or the .40S&W? I know I'll have 10 in the magazine, but which has better "stopping power" with just one shot?

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post

So which has better ONE SHOT "stopping power" the .45acp or the .40S&W? I know I'll have 10 in the magazine, but which has better "stopping power" with just one shot?
    It would ALL depend on the ammo you use! Again, it would all depend on the ammo you use. Again,.........................

All things being equal, (Which they seldom are) the 45ACP would give a higher percentage of one shot stops.

Default With commercial ammo, as I don't reload...(except 12ga) ;)

What do you mean Tim?

Would I be better to go with a .40 of a certain type of ammo over a .45 of the same type.

I'm looking for which has the better ONE SHOT stop with ANY ammo in the caliber that's determined to be BEST for ONE SHOT stops.

What caliber round is BEST between the two? Then Which bullet? and Why?
    Which GLOCK do I buy? .45 or .40.

Balistically, those calibers perform about the same. The .45 does have more power and hits harder than the .40, but not by a whole lot. Both are excellent defense calibers. Personally, I like .40 with 18 grain Winchester PDX1 Bonded JHP (that's what the FBI uses, and I prefer their ballistics tests over my own).

40 has better energy numbers and 45 has better bullet weight and diameter which makes them just about a wash in stopping power in my mind. The major advantage between the two goes to the 40 in the real world though because it can have 15 in the mag which is 50% more than the 45. Now as to which Glock should you buy for stopping power, well a G20 10mm of course!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    40 has better energy numbers and 45 has better bullet weight and diameter which makes them just about a wash in stopping power in my mind. The major advantage between the two goes to the 40 in the real world though because it can have 15 in the mag which is 50% more than the 45. Now as to which Glock should you buy for stopping power, well a G20 10mm of course!
    Can't argue with any of that.

I have heard stories about the .45 being better than the .40 because the .45 is slower...and has more time in contact to transfer energy (especially comparing BALL ammos)...yet still can get up the 800fps (or so) that it needs for expansion with HP's. Crazy theory perhaps...but some tests I understand have reflected this. (I'll see if I can find some links).

I have heard stories that the .40 doesn't have the knockdown power of the .45 just because it tends to BLOW THROUGH (overpenetrate) at the higher volocity, on SOFT targets, and NOT transfer it's energy.

I'm confused about all that.

But, I'm stuck with the .45 or .40 (rather than the 10mm) though, cuz I've got a duffle bag of BALL ammo from previous guns (in both calibers) that sure would be good to put to use for further training. I know the logical answer is BOTH...but the wife would not approve!

Looking for PURE Center-Of-Mass "knockdown power" between either the .45 or the .40?

I understand they're both similar...but I want the BEST.

I know......aim for the pelvis!
    I'm talking center of mass shots.

find a copy of Sanow/Marshall's book on Handgun Stopping Power. That would give you information from a couple of pros who have made a serious study of this topic. They combine bullet performance in ballistic gelatin with actual shooting results against bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRay View Post
    find a copy of Sanow/Marshall's book on Handgun Stopping Power. That would give you information from a couple of pros who have made a serious study of this topic. They combine bullet performance in ballistic gelatin with actual shooting results against bad guys.
    OUTSTANDING! I like the REAL WORLD RESULTS concept, and get so tired of just gelatin studies.

I"LL check it out. Thanks AKRay!

Quote Originally Posted by AkRay View Post
    I would recommend you take the Marshall & Sanow information with a grain of salt. Their writing is long on stories and short on facts. There are reasons that their "research" is not touted as the end-all be-all of terminal ballistics.

I have heard stories that the .40 doesn't have the knockdown power of the .45 just because it tends to BLOW THROUGH (overpenetrate) at the higher volocity, on SOFT targets, and NOT transfer it's energy.
    That depends on the bullet design for intended use, not the caliber or speed. I hear about 45s rolling up window glass and shallow penetrating big guys or people wearing a coat. Fact is a .40 caliber or a .45 caliber whole through the, lung, heart, or aorta will stop anyone not jacked up on PCP just about in their tracks. There are very valid reasons why 40S&W has become the caliber of choice for law enforcement over 45acp and 9mm. 40 gives the best attributes of both, 45’s power, 9’s capacity, and can be built on a 9mm size frame.

But, I'm stuck with the .45 or .40 (rather than the 10mm) though, cuz I've got a duffle bag of BALL ammo from previous guns (in both calibers)
    "Best" is to get a G20 and pick up a 40S&W barrel and spring for it. You get all the best of 40 (which is equal to 45acp) plus full on 10mm power that blows by them both whenever you want.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    "Best" is to get a G20 and pick up a 40S&W barrel and spring for it. You get all the best of 40 (which is equal to 45acp) plus full on 10mm power that blows by them both whenever you want.
    I LIKE THAT idea...and I can get a good aftermarket barrel for the .40 that has good support all the way down the case, for that high pressure .40 round. And I could still use up some of this Ball ammo in training, too. NOW you've got me thinking. What's the pressures on the 10mm rounds? How does the volocity compare to the .357 (which I'm also considering). Thanks AD!

Also gotta be a SF, do they have that in the 20?

By the way...wild pic's on that M1. Thanks for that also. WILD stuff.

"So which has better ONE SHOT "stopping power" the .45acp or the .40S&W? I know I'll have 10 in the magazine, but which has better "stopping power" with just one shot?"

Too many variables. Unless you strike the brain or sever the spinal cord, there is no one shot stop.

All the studies are worthless unless they have controlled case studies on live humans. Doubt you'll find that anywhere unless the Nazi's did some in their work camps back in WWII.

Rule of thumb: Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice.

Both will suit your needs adequately.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I would recommend you take the Marshall & Sanow information with a grain of salt. Their writing is long on stories and short on facts. There are reasons that their "research" is not touted as the end-all be-all of terminal ballistics.
    Wow, do I agree with you..........not going to tell what I know. I'll just agree with you.

Since the 10mm has been introduced into this discussion as having more "power" than the 45 acp or the 40 S&W, check out the 45 Super at www.buffalobore.com the 45 Super is basically a 45 acp+P+ and with it's large bullet diameter and extra velocity (ie 230gr. @1100fps or 185gr. @ 1300 fps) it has the speed of the 10mm with the weight and diameter of the 45. You can shoot it through the stock Glock 21 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sundles View Post
    Since the 10mm has been introduced into this discussion as having more "power" than the 45 acp or the 40 S&W, check out the 45 Super at www.buffalobore.com the 45 Super is basically a 45 acp+P+ and with it's large bullet diameter and extra velocity (ie 230gr. @1100fps or 185gr. @ 1300 fps) it has the speed of the 10mm with the weight and diameter of the 45. You can shoot it through the stock Glock 21 too.
    Tim,

So, no seperate barrel needed for it in the 21?
    Same magazines? (so it actually IS a HIGH pressure .45acp? with same case?)
    No case expansion/extraction issues?

Any Higher Pressure issues with the ".45super" in Glocks "unsupported" barrels...that you normally don't have with the standard pressure .45acp? What ARE the pressures of the BuffBore .45 Supers? (ie: 45acp +P"+")?

Default lifes little problems...

It kinda sucks having a duffle bag filled with half .45acp ammo, and half .40S&W ammo...and neither a gun to shoot it.

It just sits there and haunts me!

me personaly i would go with the 45.acp round ..for one reason only ..it allmost a 100 years old and it been around for a long time ..even with a hard ball hit ..it still makes a big hole in a person that can bleed out from ..multi big holes makes a person bleed out quicker ..but i have trained longer with the 1911 and the round so iam more comfortable with the round and how it works on a human target

the 40.cal was basicly is a round that meets the everything in the middle between the 9mm cal and the 45.acp cal ..round to me the 40.cal was design more for a law enforcement round than anything else ..it was design to meet the needs of law enforcement because of the uniform hireing pratices of hireing of people who where of small build of men and women..so in order to fill the order of a round that could be used by all personal in a law enforcement role .. the 40.cal was born out of the 10.mm cal round ..for it a basicly shorted 10.mm case that has been shorted down and a 10 mm caliber bullet use to make up the 40.call round ..

back in the 1980s and early 90s saw a great influx of the smaller slim bult personal as the depts where forced to lower it so called hieght and wieght standards to allow women and other small sized male personal into the ranks ..[ as personal note i really did not think that was a bad idea for allowing people to come into a area of law enforcement as long as the met the basic wieght and hieght standards..so if you where 5.ft 5.ft and meet the standard i did not see that as a bad thing..]

also at the time the revolver was going away in police sidearms or beening carryed as a back up set up .. and along with the semi automatic handgun was comeing into the police work ..so at the time was 9mm cal or 45.acp cal was the two basic standard caliber of the day ..then in the 90s the FBI went over to the 10.mm cal 1076 model by S&W to arm there agents ..we as will known now the round proved hard for the females and small bult male personal to handle and the 40.cal was born out the 10.mm cal ..

..all rounds will do the job of stopping a person with the right selection of a bullet and wieght design to do the job on a human beening with the propler shot placement by the person ..even the little 22.lr can be a perfect man killer at point black range with the muzzle of the weapon right up againest the target skull when you pull the trigger unit if that needs to be done..

Yeah, I always kinda wondered why the military changed to the 9mm, other than it was the NATO standard (save $$$).

I still think that was a mistake. How worthless does 9mm Ball ammo have to be in a combat situation against someone that's already HOPPED UP on whatever. No thanks.

But to decide between the .40 and the .45 would have (and IS) a tough battle.
    Sentiment leans me toward the .45...
    numbers lean me toward the .40.
    The duffle bag has plenty of BOTH.
    Sucks.

Maybe I'll just upgrade to another snubby (in .357) since I like the SW442 so well....and just give this ammo to my buddies.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

OUTSTANDING! I like the REAL WORLD RESULTS concept, and get so tired of just gelatin studies.

I"LL check it out. Thanks AKRay!
    Somewhere out their in the internet world there has to be something on the Strassburg(SP) test that were done back in the early 1900"s. 9Mm came out the best when used on pigs.

I think you will find the most all of the special units in the military today carry the 45acp

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast