Thread: Has anyone started Corn

Default Has anyone started Corn

Hi, just wondering if anyone has started their corn yet? According to the planting schedule I got from Holme Town Nursery it isn't time yet, but just wondering if anyone has gotten a jump start on it so the plants are bigger when they set them out. Thanks

You may want to consult with COtoAK. She had some posts and pictures about the corn she planted last year about this time.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Just planted mine, but this is the earlies I have started them. From what others have told me it is more typical to start them around the first week of May.

Though a bit absurd to some extent (maybe a whole lot, even), I used to start corn indoors in the spring, then transplant it into individual containers (back when I didn't mind littering the house with dozens and dozens of 5"-6" pots, as that's what they'd be in by the time I got them into the hot house/garden). I'd typically line the majority of north bed (running east-west) in the hothouse upon transplanting them to the great (albeit somewhat cimate-controlled) outdoors, as otherwise they'll shade everything behind them..

I nearly -always- got 'decent' production in the hothouse, but donating that much of a bed for such questionable returns came to an end when I applied more thoufght to it. Also, in a hothouse, shaking the stalks to pollenate the corn is imperative. That is, unless you have sufficient artificial wind to compensate for the enclosure.

There's plenty of folks who grow corn outdoors here in the summer too, without it being in a covered/hotter environment. The heat of a cold frame or hothouse helps, but isn't necessary.

I've known of persons to plant mounded rows, and cover either side of the rows with either black poly or black weed-blocking fabric, so as to collect greater heat around the roots. If you do that, however, be sure not to completely close off the roots' ability to breathe, and you'll need a more focused method of watering to get past black poly. Trickle tubes or hoses work, but if you're using any type of mineralized (hard) water, or an outdoor reservoir/poorly-filtered source to 'feed' the tubes/lines, you'll either need to unclog them regularly, or replace them (depending on the value placed on your corn).

I've gorwn a variety of short-season hybrids here to varying degrees of success.

But in terms of weight/number of items, I can get a whole lot better production out of 'X' number of sq. ft. of raised bed in a hot house with other hothouse items than with corn.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I don't want to take up space in my greenhouse. I would rather save that for stuff I know yeilds more. I have tried corn here once! It grew big, but the ears where still too small at the end of the season. Going to try it again anyways. I bought a hybrid shorter growing season corn so we'll see how it works. Getting ready to start mine here in the next few days and see what happens.