Thread: can you point me in a direction?

Default can you point me in a direction?

Hi guys,

I have been reading these threads like crazy. I am about to make my bait barrel for this hunting season. I have a few good ideas on what to use for bait from talking to a few people and reading your posts on here. My only thing I am lacking is a area to hunt. I live in the Eagle River area and would like a area close by. I can travel if need but but would like to keep the cost down so I can keep my kitchen pass for say. I grew up in montana and I am very good in the woods and have never lost any game that I have shot. I am not looking for a hand out of where you hunt by GPS... there is enougf wilderness for us all and I dont want to encrouch on your spots. I am just looking for a area where I have a decent chance. I did complete my baiting class. Any info would be great. BTW I think I am going to build my bait station with a bear keg due to it is small and I can pack it in and out with some ease.

Anyone every make bear jerky out of the blacks they have harvested? What is the best way to process them? If I am lucky I plan to harvest one with my bow, one with my new 460v and a rifle as well...

How far is the standard distance from the bait station for your tree stand? I was thinking 30 to 35 yeards for bow maybe a little bit more for rifle?

Thanks again for all the great info you have all posted on this site. I think that this site has the most "alaska" experence and knoledge that any other I have found.

Thanks,
    MontHunter

Quote Originally Posted by monthunter View Post
    Hi guys,

Anyone every make bear jerky out of the blacks they have harvested? What is the best way to process them? If I am lucky I plan to harvest one with my bow, one with my new 460v and a rifle as well...

How far is the standard distance from the bait station for your tree stand? I was thinking 30 to 35 yeards for bow maybe a little bit more for rifle?
    Thanks,MontHunter

I can't help you with the where parts but rest I can give my .02 cents worth. We make some bear jerky mostly we just dry it and use it in dishes that are cooked like chili & stews. We also add it to our dogs food in the winter for fat meat. Most of our bear is canned since we don't have refrigeration.

As far as the distance from the bait to the stand I usually go by the terrain, most of the time it is less than 30 yrds. Go by what you are comfortable with most of the outfitters I guide for in the fall set their stations up for 20 to 30 yrds.

Good luck!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by monthunter View Post
    .there is enougf wilderness for us all

In theory......Maybe, In reality as it relates to road system bait stations near urban areas with a 1/4 "MILLION" humans in the Los Anchorage mega-metropolis, maybe NOT.

Your gonna have to do a bit of driving and scouting. Get yourself out a map and go explore. There are more than enough places to bait without going forever and a day to get there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

A few good websites to do some research are the Kenai Peninsula Borough parcel viewer and the Mat Su parcel viewer.
    Combine this with google earth, speaking to your local wildlife trooper and getting out and exploring and you should be able to find a spot. The ADFG website also has a link to their baiting harvest page for which regions had the highest percentage of harvest.
    Good luck.

Default places to go

there are a lot of places to bait along the road system towards Kenai and Seward. The areas around Hope, the Y, between seward and Homer, Placer River, 20 Mile River, are all good. Lots of areas after you pass Hope on the right that have a lot of Black bear in the fall so the spring should be fairly good also. There are a few trails around the Hope area that offfer a descent statrting point to base off of, then hike in from there.There are plenty of black bear around the hope area. The Knik area drainage is home to a few bear and is closer to Eagle River, lots of ATV traffic in there though. Hope this helps