Thread: Snaring Coyotes Around Moose Carcass?

Default Snaring Coyotes Around Moose Carcass?

I came across a moose carcass today. There were no wolf tracks around, but plenty of coyotes. I'm guessing the moose has been there a couple of weeks. It is over half gone, but there is still plenty left. I am hoping to get out and shoot some creatures off of it, but would it be possible to set some snares and be successful? The carcass is somewhat out in the open, not a lot of brush around for the 'yotes to make much for trails. Is there a good way to go about doing this? I have done some trapping, but the only thing I have ever snared was rabbits. Any ideas are appreciated.

You better be carefull if there is half a moose left,my guess is there will be a bear on it any day,better be packin some heat,when they find it,I bet it won't be in the open anymore.

Sir,you just Found a hunters gold mine,Gods natural bait pile!!!use it wisely

Depending where you are... coyote season closes on the 10th around the valley..

Personally I like to find the trails they are using to get to the kill and snare them up a ways from the kill..dont snare or set traps too close to the carcass or one caught yote will spook others coming in. Also higher chance to catch non-targets (birds, etc). Also make sure if you snare that you make them as moose proof as possible (breakaways, diverters, etc.) Just because it is a moose carcass doesnt mean a moose wont come and investigate, I've had it happen ALOT!!

Good luck...wolves may hit it too, so consider using snares heavy enough to hold a wolf...and watch for bears too

Edit to my last post to correct the date...

Coyote trapping closes on April 30th not April 10th in 14/16..sorry

our buddy also found a moose carcass that was about half ate up.....he also found a big ol pile of grizzly poo......stay safe, carry a gun and be cautious

Release Lake Trout

Actually be very careful and check the regs for your area. There are certain criteria you need to meet such as snare size etc.....

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...s/trapping.pdf

Dkwart, 14A closed March 31st. 14B April 30th...

besides, nothing I know of this time of year has a pelt that I would be proud of.....wait till next winter, you'll have not only a better animal with a nice pelt but they'll have a chance to reproduce.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post

besides, nothing I know of this time of year has a pelt that I would be proud of.....wait till next winter, you'll have not only a better animal with a nice pelt but they'll have a chance to reproduce.
    Coyotes have been known to prey on lambs. In May I'll be in a part of Unit 13 that I saw two coyotes in two years ago at the same time of year. If I see some again, fur quality will not be my primary concern. The hunting season has been extended until the end of May.

I am most certainly not of the "kill 'em all" mentality - far from it - but coyotes are difficult to hunt and I'll always take the chance to take one when presented with the opportunity.

Brian,

You're talking apples and oranges here. Snaring is trapping...Hunting is hunting. I was pointing out that they arent much in the way of "keepers" this time of year if that was what the OP had intended. As usual, just my own opinion.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Thanks for the correction Huntress, cant seem to get it right, lol..

I agree with brian about late season yotes...they also displace fox, which I would much rather be catching next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Brian,

You're talking apples and oranges here. .
    We have different opinions, Huntress, but it is certainly a valid comparison. Methods of take aside, the original poster did not state his intent when asking about how to catch coyotes. You pointed out that the fur wouldn't be worth much. I pointed out that thinning out coyotes and preventing them from breeding can be a beneficial thing in some ways. Apples and oranges? Not from where I stand. Just giving the guy a different motivation for getting out there and trying to take a coyote or two.

I was out there the other day to check it again, and it really is an open area. I don't think I am going to attempt the snaring bit this time arround. The snow is so hard tracks aren't showing, and if there are defined trails they are using, I am missing them. I hope to make it out there tomorrow, and if I don't catch them in the act of snacking, I might try calling for them. A bonus bear wouldn't be bad either.

If I end up getting a coyote and the fur is in decent shape, that's great, but I also can't remember the last time I passed up shooting at one with bad fur, or ok fur, or good fur, or great fur. I try to be a fair person, and when it comes to vermin, I don't discriminate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I pointed out that thinning out coyotes and preventing them from breeding can be a beneficial thing in some ways.
    Hasn't the same thing been said of bears, Brian? I believe you have opposed recent methods to "thin" out bears. Is there a difference?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Hasn't the same thing been said of bears, Brian? I believe you have opposed recent methods to "thin" out bears. Is there a difference?
    I have no problems with thinning out bears, marten. Actually, I'm planning to go do my part this weekend if I can find one. I do not agree with all methods, though. I think that increased bag limits, lengthened seasons, and (if possible) relaxing guide requirements are preferable to legalized snaring of bears and helicopter access. Of course, we've discussed this all elsewhere and this isn't the topic of this thread. Once again, though, thanks for helping me stay consistent.