Thread: Need help with Trolling

Default Need help with Trolling

Hey guys,
    I was wondering about flashers.. Which is better The flasher attached to the downrigger ball or do you guys put the flasher in same line as the bait?

I drew some examples to explain?

NUMBER 1

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/example2l.jpg/

NUMBER 2

http://img594.imageshack.us/i/example1.jpg/

I've done it both ways. I really don't like messing with a false flasher, to be honest with you. So, I like to run my bait behind a flasher, when I run bait. I also clip my release to the 'rigger ball too.

do you need a flasher with a spoon? also has you ever heard of anyone doing both???

Depends on the spoon. On bigger spoons, you can't run a flasher, unless you have a very long leader. (flasher won't rotate with the weight of the spoon) I do very good with #5 Diamond king spoons with no flasher. Those vmc sureset treble hooks really hook those kings! Last year we caught a lot of kings on diamond kings on the outer coast of POW.

I like Coyote 4/0 spoons behind 11" hot spot flashers. That combo can work very well for kings/cohos.

I find the best thing to do is just try it. Drop your downrigger down about 5 ft. and watch the action you're getting (you should do this with every flasher you buy, anyways, just to make sure it's giving you the proper action) and see if it looks OK.

I don't hesitate to use flashers with spoons or spinners as long as they aren't causing problems with the lure. The flasher just looks like another king and attracts other kings to what that "king" is checking out.

The problem I've found with just attaching the flasher to the downrigger ball and then clipping your line to it is you just don't get the same action from the flasher if you have the line that short. It's a pain in the butt to put 20 ft. of line behind your downrigger weight and then the clip. Makes bringing your line up to check things a real pain.

Keep the leader short (~10' for me) on a false flasher, and clip it to the tail of the downrigger ball, or right above the weight if it's a true ball with no extra eye. Don't clip your line to the arse-end of the dummy flasher - it will screw everything up. Instead, clip your line release 5' - 10' above the dummy flasher using a longline clip on the downrigger cable. Then fish a bare lightweight spoon (no sinkers like krocodiles or pixees) about 15' - 20' back from the cable.

If using a spoon behind a flasher on your line, keep the lure size relatively small (5.0 max on coyotes), and lengthen your leaders to 6' - 8'. Hoochies need a shorter leader so that the flasher can fling the hoochie around and give it action. Use 40# leader behind a flasher if you're fishing kings - the flasher adds a ton of drag on a hot fish and 20# will break often.

Tomic (the trolling plug maker) makes a big hairy flasher that is physically larger and bent more aggressively than your standard Hot Spot. I've not tried it, but they recommend using it as a dummy due to its size. I've not seen them up here, but I picked up two in BC over Christmas. They'll be tried this summer...

Default Depending...

Depending on your gear or desired action, I've really started liking the fishflash and KoneZone style flashers in front of herring. They don't add much drag and they don't screw with your bait.

Default dumby flasher

I fish the bc coast all summer and I use both methods. Ive always called the flasher attached to the cable a dummy flasher. I fish the dummy with larger bait like whole herring or cut plug herring and a mainline flasher with your smaller baits like anchovies. I run a ten foot dummy line with my bait 7 feet above and few feet further back then the flasher. for a manline flasher i like a 6 to 7 foot leader.

We caught these today with a ProTroll 11" flasher attached to my mainline and a 30" leader with a "cutplug" herring trailing the show. Seems to work pretty well out in Kachemak Bay.