Thread: barrel leading 454

Default barrel leading 454

i finally got to shoot my new toy this weekend and was trying a few different loads and when i got home to clean up my pistol and rifle, both 454 casull, they were leaded up pretty bad. i shot some lazer cast 250gr rnft over 10g unique, 255gr meister swc over 10.5g unique (900fps in pistol and 1300 fps in rifle) and 3 loads with 265 gr swcgc cast performance bullets over 34,35,and 36g of h-110 ranging from 2000fps to 2200 fps in the rifle and i can't remember what the pistol had for speed. i don't think the gas checked bullets from cp would be the problem but what about 1300 fps and 900 fps in the rifle and pistol? i wouldn't think that is pushing it to fast? all of the bullets are .452 which matches my guns. any guesses and sugestions on cleaning the lead? i got it all out with a lot of scrubbing but i need to get some solvent made for removing lead like shooters choice or something of the sort.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

kobuck:
    I don't know a whole lot about leading, but you can get it from the bullet being too hard, and/or not loading hot enough for the bullet to obterate and seal the bore on firing.

You get "Blow-By", and that causes leading too. I got leading from Lazer Cast, and Miester bullets in my 357. The recovered bullets, which were Bevel Base, without a Gas Check, showed some gas cutting, so I guess that was my problem.

I suspect you got the leading from those bullet brands, as they are HARD. If your load wasn't too hot, already, you might increase the charge, and try each bullet brand alone to determine which bullet and charge doesn't lead. ?????

I hope you get some more, and better answers, too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Leading

Some guns are just more prone to leading than others but a .454 with light loads shouldn't be a problem unless the barrel is very rough.

You can eliminate few factors. Bevel base bullets are made for convienence in loading; try a flat base or gas check bullet. The lubes used on commercial bullets are often too hard in my opinion - try a softer lube if you cast your own bullets. You could also try a .453 or .454 bullet- have you slugged your bore yet - some are oversized.

As to removing leading - simply fire a few jacketed bullets at the end of the shooting session. If you handload use .45 LC cases to make certain you get the chamber cleaned out. the jacketed loads don't have to loaded very hot to do the job.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thumbs up barrel leading 454

My suspicion is that the Unique loads are too slow, and the bullets are not slugging up to sael the bore. General rule of thumb is that plain base cast
    bullets are usually ok up to 1300 or so and gas checks should handle
    a good bit more. Harder bullets are for heavier loads. The best thing for
    lighter loads, is slightly softer bullets, and sometimes slightly bigger, since
    the lighter loads will not expand the bullets to fill the bore. In no case should a bullet be less than bore size, but some variation in the length of
    the bore is always possible. Something else is that some new bores need a little "polishing" from jacketed bullets first. Also, Arm & Hammer toothpaste
    is a safe polish to try. I have slicked-up a few rifle actions with it and it can do no harm. I'd like to know what finally works for you. Good shooting !
    Bryan

These guys are steering you in the right direction, to a point... But, the basics need to be covered first. Especially before just trying a .453 or .454 boolit. Slug your bore and measure your cylinder throats. If your bore is .451, boolits should be .452 and throats need to be .4525. The easiest way to measure the throats is to see if you you can push a .452 boolit through the cylinder. If not, you will need to ream them or have them reamed.

If the cylinder throats are 451 and you are shooting a .452 boolit then you are swaging the boolit before it hits the barrel and that will lead the bore like crazy. It won't matter what else you do. You will continue to blow lead down the bore. It will be worse with larger boolits.

Copper bullets in a clean bore actually deposit copper in the bore and can cause further leading. Have you shot copper in the gun? If so, it should be cleaner than clean before shooting lead.

There are also different schools of thought regarding using copper bullets to "clean" the bore. It may scrape some lead off but leave copper which can cause further leading. Just use a bore brush, some good solvent and elbow grease.

Start with the basics. Slug the bore, measure the throats and load the correct sized boolits. After that is out of the way if you still have leading then you can look at hardness, velocity, lube type, etc. Are you sure the laser cast are .452? I seem to remember guys talking about how hard and small they are. Not a good combo.

EDIT: Regarding the Puma, slug that bore as well. Mine is .452. My Ruger wheelguns are .451.

I shoot nothing but hard cast in my 454's (and in most of my revolvers). I drive the Cp and Bear tooth bullets to 1500 fps from my 5.5" Freedom Arms gun. No leading, no problems.

Use of a Lewis lead remover for those guns that lead up is usually all thats needed.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

if there was leading in either the revolver or rifle it would seem more likely a size issue. but leading in both almost seems like another culpurate. with the unique loads running at 1300 fps in the rifle doesn't seem too slow to expand a plain base bullet. during this range session i shot lead first in the rifle and at the end i put around 12 rounds of jacked bullets through the barrel. i'll do some more checking and see what i can come up with. thanks for all of the advice.