Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One good reason,

Default One good reason,

to do a little bear hunting !

This cow & calf and 4 other cows, 3 pregnant, were taken down by a grizz that died later in the day. Found him about 1 1/2 miles away, he unwittingly left foot prints.

They had been dead for 4-5 days. I was a little pissed off.

This cow had the most meat eaten off it. I pulled the calf out thru the hole.
    Another pregnant one had just its nose eaten off, and back 'raked' & shredded down to the spine.
    One off the other 2 cows was gutted, near the haunch, 1 tiny moose hoof uneaten.
    The last cow we opened, it was carrying a single calf, the cows nose mostly ripped off, neck broken and shredded.
    This pic is from about 10 years ago.

Also I added another pic of 14 dead caribou calves on the "Dead caribou on Denali Hwy" thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post

This cow & calf and 4 other cows, 3 pregnant, were taken down by a grizz that died later in the day. Found him about 1 1/2 miles away, he unwittingly left foot prints.

Another pregnant one had just its nose eaten off, and back 'raked' & shredded down to the spine.
    One off the other 2 cows was gutted, near the haunch, 1 tiny moose hoof uneaten.
    The last cow we opened, it was carrying a single calf, the cows nose mostly ripped off, neck broken and shredded.

Also I added another pic of 14 dead caribou calves on the "Dead caribou on Denali Hwy" thread.
    how very sad

Default Quick Question

I am unknowledgable here and admit so bear with me (no pun intended). On kills like you described, would the bear normally come back and cover them for eating at a later time? Also, wondered if the bear was a sow or a boar? If it was a a sow could it have been back to a den due to cubs?

Again, I just wish to learn and I am in no way being critical. I have spent a lot of time in years past moose hunting and I sure don't like seeing that ...

Thumbs up

Man o man. If that pic ain't enough to motivate the naive, nothing is. Those creatures are hideous beings and need to be dealt with severely at every encounter.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Mooseman17

The bear was a 8 ft + boar.

Its not unusual for them to kill more than they can eat, these cows were above tree line, a deep snow year. A deep snow year is called a predator accessible year. This bear was headed down hill when I found him, he would have likely repeated this event had he gotten any further.

Default Good photo

Now there is mother nature at work. Just goes to show man is not the only one that kills for sport.
    Where is the bear kill pics.
    I will try to eliminate one from the food chain here next month.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Thumbs up

Anyone that can get their hands on a back issue of the Alaska Sportsman Magazine's should read them all.

One in particular had an article by a state biologist .... W. G. Ballard, "The Case of the Disappearing Moose," Alaska, 49 (Jan 1983) ...

This study is well documented and scientifically upheld (it has received many citations in many Master's Thesis'). It is shocking and truthful.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

oh gosh that pic is horrible! you didnt have to post the pics you know, as they are very distasteful! dont let the kiddies see! im Mockin the "moose poached in pt.mckenzie" thread critics hehe

yea thats good motivation alright....dont worry, we'll be doin our part of Ursus Americanus and Ursus Horribilus eliminations very soon.

Release Lake Trout

Default Yeah hey

I saw tracks in the snow are you sure that wasn't roadkill....Are you just givin ammo to the greenies or what. Just kiddin Pics like that just make the tenth of May seem so far away 31 days until penninsula BEAR HUNT my trigger finger is itching
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Hey, work yourself up, if it motivates you......... Then go hunting.

I too like pictures of Nature at work.

Being a part of that Nature, I found this pict a minute ago,and put into my computer, from back in the days we could shoot from the porch....heres what 14 dead Caribou look like..

No matter how many Bears ya shoot, the State will see when its time to close the hunt and let them repopulate..........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Say Dedwuff...

ya got a nice followin' here! NICE! Ya got 'em eatin' outta yer hands...

A new 375hh and 2 boxes of shells. It's a good day to die little big bear.

[QUOTE=Mooseman17;707096]I am unknowledgable here and admit so bear with me (no pun intended). On kills like you described, would the bear normally come back and cover them for eating at a later time? Also, wondered if the bear was a sow or a boar? If it was a a sow could it have been back to a den due to cubs?

I'm no pro either but have found a few winter kills that were being eaten on by black bears and they never buried it,took a few days to dissapear both times but they allways seemed to feed in the dark so never ended up geting one of them.Unlike the one grizz cache we luckily stumbled upon it was buried completely and yes we got that moose killer!!!

wolfwatching

Why did this piss you off?

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post

wolfwatching

Iím always baffled by a predator that concludes another predator is less justified than themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Man o man. If that pic ain't enough to motivate the naive, nothing is. Those creatures are hideous beings and need to be dealt with severely at every encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

Being a part of that Nature, I found this pict a minute ago,and put into my computer, from back in the days we could shoot from the porch....heres what 14 dead Caribou look like..

No matter how many Bears ya shoot, the State will see when its time to close the hunt and let them repopulate..........
    Wise words stranger, wise words.

The pics are of bears doing what they do, since they are bears.

Plenty of pics of humans doing what humans do, not only to other species, but to each other, that are far, far more disgusting. Does that mean we should be shot at every opportunity as well and our populations kept at as low a level as possible?

Just food for thought, flame away . . .

wolfwatching

Yep! Ak should be like every other state in the big U.S.!! According to you folks - that's where we're headed! The Lost Frontier; and then you can all whine about the aftermath.. Nature just aint natural to most folks this day and age.. LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

Exclamation wolfwatching

Why did it piss me off?

Well I'm a very sensitive person, so I got pissed off.

wolfwatching

Fair enough :-)

Thats what War is for, which has come as naturally as Hunting to Men.

Labensrom, Energy, power and control, and certainly over resources.

Yes we are being populated, and its going to have devastating effects on the way we live.

I feel fortunate to be able to make a living with the resources at hand, has good as I have it, but I dont see my grandchildren doing the same. I hope I'm wrong.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast