Thread: IS 30-06 enough gun for a blackie

Default IS 30-06 enough gun for a blackie

I have never bear hunted but a friend has invited me to his stand, I have 2 options I have a bow but am not certified but his stand is not in a bow hunt only area and to my knowledge you only need the certification if it is it bow-hunt only area or states you need the certification for that location in the regs which his stand does not option 2 is with my rifle the largest rifle I have is a 30-06 will that be enough gun to drop a black bear ethically without having to follow a blood trail for a mile or to have it run off. I have used it on a moose just fine(needed 2 shots to drop it where it stood) but I am told bears have a much much thicker hide and; As with most arguments its all about shot placement yes I know you could PROBABLY do it with a much smaller caliber with a well placed shot but I want there to be no doubts and as ethical as possible. Thanks for any input

You have plenty of rifle, blackies are'nt that tough to kill.
    Paul

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my boy uses a .243 with 100 gn noslers partitions.. blackies are thin skinned, and light boned any deer gun or set up is right for them..place a good shot in them and they typically do not go far

and your correct on the bow regs, no IBEP needed for non restricted hunts
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I am new to bear hunting myself but, from everything I have read a 30-06 is plenty for taking a black bear or really anything with good shot placement.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    blackies are thin skinned, and light boned any deer gun or set up is right for them..place a good shot in them and they typically do not go far
    Or not go anywhere at all, except to the sausage grinder

There you have it....Vince beat me to it

Release Lake Trout

i was asking the same thing about 30-06 for brownies and most people told me it was enough gun for a brownie, just not the preffered gun. So im thinking an -06 will be more than enough for blackies, especially with 220 grain bullets

I've killed black bears with a 30-30, 7.62x39, and 30-06. It's all about shot placement.

Yes, I took my wife out baiting and she dropped her first blackie with a 30-06. (I made sure it was bigger then any I dropped) , I used a .338 and it was definitely enough,. .. so we ended last year with 3 blackies and she dropped 2 with her fathers Remington 700 30-06.. so your safe.,

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I have never bear hunted but a friend has invited me to his stand, I have 2 options I have a bow but am not certified but his stand is not in a bow hunt only area and to my knowledge you only need the certification if it is it bow-hunt only area or states you need the certification for that location in the regs which his stand does not option 2 is with my rifle the largest rifle I have is a 30-06 will that be enough gun to drop a black bear ethically without having to follow a blood trail for a mile or to have it run off. I have used it on a moose just fine(needed 2 shots to drop it where it stood) but I am told bears have a much much thicker hide and; As with most arguments its all about shot placement yes I know you could PROBABLY do it with a much smaller caliber with a well placed shot but I want there to be no doubts and as ethical as possible. Thanks for any input
    Why is this question asked a BAZILLION times every year? OMG is my .30-06 big enough??!!!?? OMG is my .300 big enough?? Bears in general do not have a tough anatomy, their bodies aren't built like a brick s***house like most people think. You can knock over every black bear in the world with plenty of confidence with that .30-06. You can do the same with Grizz too. If it came down to it I'd go after Grizz with my '06 without a doubt. The holes it will put through bears is a sight to see. Sorry about the rant, but this question is OLD.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

30-06 is a great choice. Good luck.

Personally put two down with an 06. One went twenty yards, the other went twenty feet! In my honest opinion, the 06 is a great black bear gun, maybe the perfect black bear gun.
    Just my $0.02

Default 30-06

a 30-06 mwill kill anything is you throw it hard enough.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Cool, A thread where we all agree, and someones getting sound advice

30-06
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I carry a 30-06 all year. I am retired and out three to four days a week, sometimes more. I carry a single shot H&R Handi rifle in 30-06, and an H&R Ultra in .223. I shoot everything with these two rifles. I would not hesitate shooting a Black Bear with the .223, using a 60gr Nosler partition. Black Bears are not that hard to kill. Check out their anatomy they are almost identical to a human.

First time you skin one out, sit back and look at the body minus the head and feet. It spooks some people.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Thumbs up Nice point

Graybeard...a .223 would suffice for blackies, as they're not much bigger than humans & yes, when skinned, they look just like humans...very scary...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    I carry a 30-06 all year. I am retired and out three to four days a week, sometimes more. I carry a single shot H&R Handi rifle in 30-06, and an H&R Ultra in .223. I shoot everything with these two rifles. I would not hesitate shooting a Black Bear with the .223, using a 60gr Nosler partition. Black Bears are not that hard to kill. Check out their anatomy they are almost identical to a human.

First time you skin one out, sit back and look at the body minus the head and feet. It spooks some people.
    I completely agree, in fact it is KIND of fun to have one or two all skinned up when the neighbors swing by.. they tend to wonder which one of the kids pissed ya off that day!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here