Thread: Yamaha Grizzly 350 IRS vs. Grizzly 450

Default Yamaha Grizzly 350 IRS vs. Grizzly 450

I am in the market for a new machine and have narrowed the selection down to an '09 Yamaha Grizzly 350 IRS or a Grizzly 450 IRS. They are basically the same machine, in terms of features, specs, and dimensions, with the primary differences being that the 350 does not have low range and is air-cooled whereas the 450 is liquid-cooled.

I only weigh a buck fifty and don't plan to tow anything. I will be headed up some steep ridges and through some sloppy mud. I'm hoping somebody with some experience on the 350 will let me know whether I should buy the 350 and save $500-700 bucks or whether I should snap up a 450. Any suggestions?

I buy 10 every year ,Never had a problem with any of the old ones (350 bruins) I keep 1 from every year and sell the rest in Aug. I have hauled moose out in a trailer on the 350 grizzly no problems ,Never had an over heating problem. But if I were you for $500 more get the 450 with low range. I only get the 350's because I can save 5-600 bucks and thats alot when I buy that many and I have no problems selling all my atvs in Aug. If you do not mind an 09 call Big Lake Yamaha for the 450's I bought all the 350's
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Out of curiosity...

Why not the bigbear... Its has all the things you desire? It doesn't have low range but first gear is plenty low enough for anything you could ever want to do with a wheeler in my opinion. Unless you want an automatic tranny. I personally like my manual but everyone has their druthers.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Default There this one too...

Save yourself some money and get a trailer too.

http://eielson.baseforsale.com/?cont...origin=eielson
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Why not the bigbear... Its has all the things you desire? It doesn't have low range but first gear is plenty low enough for anything you could ever want to do with a wheeler in my opinion. Unless you want an automatic tranny. I personally like my manual but everyone has their druthers.
    Yep what he said ! Forgot about shifters .I only get the Autos because Tourist do not know how to drive a shifter ,Big Lake does have a bunch of 09 Big Bears I'm not loyal to any dealer only the ones that give me a good price

Thumbs up 450

You know you want the 450. You deserve the 450. You've worked hard to get where you're at in life. Spend the extra coin so I don't have to pull your **** up hills.

Zeb

I've never owned the 350, but I've owned a couple Kodiak 400's. I don't think the power difference between the 350 and 450 will be that big a deal, but in my opinion the low range is a major difference. I upgraded to the Grizzly primarily to get the low range. 95% of the time you won't need the low gear or the additional 100cc, but the remaining 5% of the time you'd be kicking yourself.

I havn't looked at the spec sheet in a bit but I don't think that the 350 has diff lock. If that s true the 450 is worth the additional $$$ based on that fact alone!

I like the Big Bear too, it is just a great machine. The main thing that has me leaning in favor of auto ATV's is the hill climbing advantage. With any manual I have ridden you will find a place on every long steep hill where you are too high for one gear but the act of shifting would leave you too low for the next. If you try a higher gear and bog you can get in some real trouble trying to shift back down! The other nice thing about an auto is if you are buried in swamp water with your feet up on the rack and need to shift into reverse you don't have to fish around with your boot (or tennis shoes) in the water to find it. Just hold the brake, grab the shift lever and pull it back!

Go for the 450!!! You will not regret it. If you want more information go to the link in my signature. The guys over there will be able to answer ALL your questions.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I havn't looked at the spec sheet in a bit but I don't think that the 350 has diff lock. If that s true the 450 is worth the additional $$$ based on that fact alone!
    The 350's do have diff lock

Default 350s

They make 2 different 350s. The independent rear suspension 350s have diff lock and an instrument cluster, but not the straight axel 350s.

Not having low range is the real deal-breaker for both the 350s. Last time I checked, Alaska has a few mountains and hammering down the throttle for long periods of time is not the best way to climb up them...

From what I hear, the AK-Kid made the right call and bought a new 450.

The 450 is everything that 95% of all outdoorsmen need. Only someone that weighs > 250lbs, or will be towing a lot of very heavy loads, needs the extra power of the bigger engines.

Now, let's get our ride on!! Operation: Road Warrior is a go. I repeat, Operation: Road Warrior is a go.

Buy the Big Bear 400 and get all the power for less money...yep you have to shift but if you want the best bang for the buck get the Big Bear. There are many reasons the engine and transmission have not changed in many, many years. In first gear you can climb trees
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge