Thread: Hunting Gold on the KP

Default Hunting Gold on the KP

Anyone pan on the KP?
    I know there are several open areas I was just wondering how it is.
    I spend quite a bit of time fishing out of Cooper Landing and was wondering if I should bring my pans and mini sluice down this year.
    Maybe do a little work on Saturdays when the hoards are floating the Kenai. :)

The panning here isn't stellar but it definetly beats fishing!!! :-)
    Seriously, I'd rather play in the dirt than fish anyday. There is a fair amount of fine stuff in many of the creeks around here, & always the chance of a picker. You probably won't strike it rich, but you should have fun!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Any suggestions Vince?
    Cooper Creek worth a shot?

Default Crescent Creek

The Kenai chapter of the GPAA just got a new claim last year on Crescent creek. They have from the bridge down to the confluence.
    It is new so I am not sure of what to expect to find. I only went there once and did not proppect too seriously.
    If you are not a member of GPAA send me a pm when you are there and maybe we can hook-up. You can pan and sluice as long as a current member is there with you.
    I have a highbanker I would like to set up and try there.
    I have also heard cooper creek is good but not sure on public access.
    There was a good book (out of print) called where to prospect for gold in Alaska without getting shot by Ron Wendt that listed all sorts of areas to try.It includes listing streams where the highway right of way is open and other public areas. Might be worth locating a copy of this book.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The Kenai chapter of the GPAA just got a new claim last year on Crescent creek. They have from the bridge down to the confluence.
    It is new so I am not sure of what to expect to find. I only went there once and did not proppect too seriously.
    If you are not a member of GPAA send me a pm when you are there and maybe we can hook-up. You can pan and sluice as long as a current member is there with you.
    I have a highbanker I would like to set up and try there.
    I have also heard cooper creek is good but not sure on public access.
    There was a good book (out of print) called where to prospect for gold in Alaska without getting shot by Ron Wendt that listed all sorts of areas to try.It includes listing streams where the highway right of way is open and other public areas. Might be worth locating a copy of this book.
    Sounds good Chris.
    I'm not a member so maybe we can get together when I'm there this fall.
    All the gold in my area is locked in granite. :(
    The area on Cooper Creek that is open to panning etc. is the lower 1/4 mile or so.

The book looks good, but is a little on the spendy side. :shocked:

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Prospect.../dp/188657412X

Yeah that book originally listed for 9.99. I will see when I get offf the slope if I have an old copy I could send you. It seems all the Ron Wendt books went out of print when Ron died. Too bad they were good books by a good ol prospector.
    I have a 16' Koffler Aluminum driftboat and am wanting to learn to fish the upper Kenai as I have never done this. I usually fish the Kasilof and local lakes with this boat.
    Maybe we can get together and we could fish the river one day in my boat and hit the creek for gold on another.Just a thought.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I may have to put my copy up for sale... Wonder if they are actually selling them for that price or just hoping?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yeah that book originally listed for 9.99. I will see when I get offf the slope if I have an old copy I could send you. It seems all the Ron Wendt books went out of print when Ron died. Too bad they were good books by a good ol prospector.
    I have a 16' Koffler Aluminum driftboat and am wanting to learn to fish the upper Kenai as I have never done this. I usually fish the Kasilof and local lakes with this boat.
    Maybe we can get together and we could fish the river one day in my boat and hit the creek for gold on another.Just a thought.
    Sounds like a great plan Chris.
    I'm pretty good at catching trout up there. ;)
    Might have to come and fish the Kasilof sometime too.