Thread: Razor clam regs

Default Razor clam regs

In the area I live we have a small razor clam beach about a mile long. It has long been a subsistance and sport food source.

Every time the effort level in the dungeness fishery increases with boats coming up from down south sometimes as many as 5 boat crews will be on the beach digging razors by the wash tub full for bait. I don`t think its right that such a good and valuable food source should be wasted as bait.

I checked with Fish and Game and apparantly there are no regulations or limits on the use of razor clams for bait. I am considering a proposal to the BOF to curtail the digging for bait and have asked F&G which reg needs to be addressed.

Is anyone else concerned about this I am wondering if it should be a State wide or local proposal. I will post what I learn from F&G if anyone is interested

Default I agree with you

Please post more as you know more.

P.S. Statewide

anonymous1, what you didn't mention is whether this is impacting the resource and other users. You state that you don't think "such a good and valuable food source should be wasted as bait".

If it's not impacting the resource and your (and others) ability to harvest what they need, then what's the problem? Using some tasty clams to catch some tasty crabs is no big deal if it isn't affecting anything other than an opinion about how the clams should be used.

But, I'm not in your neck of the woods, so I can't judge that. If it is impacting the resource and other users, then by all means write it up and send it in. If there's a conflict, the use for subsistence (and sport) should trump the use as bait.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    then what's the problem? Using some tasty clams to catch some tasty crabs is no big deal if it isn't affecting anything other than an opinion about how the clams should be used.
    Well then I guess it should also be OK to use sockeye or king salmon for halibut bait or moose and cariboo steaks for bear bait. Ethics aside I think it is impacting the availability for subsistence and sport.
    Like I said it is a very small beach and the only beach with razors within 40 miles or more. Cape Alitak to Bumble Bay. I have been there for 45 years and have seen times when you could get a bucket in a 20' radius and times when you can`t get 10 in the whole mile. I`m sure there are some natural cycles but I also think too much effort at the wrong times could be devastating. (Those boys from Oregon are darn good diggers) and it galls me that to dig for bait no license is required.

Maybe it is no big deal I don`t really know much about the life cycle of the razor clam but I will before I submit a proposal and I will rally the support of the local community. I`m starting my education here.
    http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/wdb/pub/spe.../82_11-089.pdf

Anonymous1...don't go on my advice alone (Familyman agreed with you and I didn't necessarily disagree with you, either)...but you asked for input, and I gave you my opinion. I think we all need to understand that there can (and should, when available) be multiple uses/users of the resource when one isn't impacting the other.

With that said, again, if it's really impacting you/others, then let 'er rip...and I'd support it...but you weren't clear in your first post if it was an actual impact or if it was more of an opinion about how clams should/shouldn't be used (or both). That's all I was sayin'.

Default Anon1

Mr fish has an overgrown sense of your clams and his clams. If you have a clam, it must be his or his brothers clam. You must share and he will tell you how!! Even if he does not have a brother!!!
    Seriously, Mrfish won't lead you astray, just a little closer to his own bucket for your own sake, don't you know.
    Dude, messing with you and Fish again. Listen to his sense of reasoning, I do.
    Maybe that's the problem??? Messing with you again!!
    If there is a problem let the BOF proposals fly, if there is not, Join the club but watch what is happening with the resource. Maybe down the road something might have to be changed.
    OK Fish, where is that twenty bucks you promised me for posting this????
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Hey Its all good even if it hurts.
    Been doin a little readin and checkin.
    Looks like ther is lots of time to figure it out. I was told by Kodiak staff that it can not be addressed til Misc. Shellfish comes up in 2012.
    I also see that folks around Cook inlet take razor clams pretty serious with lots of citations given out for over bag limit.

And if I read it right:

5 AAC 75.026. Use of sport-caught fish as bait

(a) Unless provided in this section, sport-caught fish taken under 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 may not be used as bait.

(b) Whitefish, herring, and other species of fish for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75, as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport-caught fish taken under 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75, may be used for bait or other purposes.

Sport fish regs apply to razor clams and you need a sport fish license to dig razor clams and razor clams have harvest limits, so a person who has a sports license and sports harvests his limit can`t use em for bait in his sports dungee pot.

Along comes the big crab boat and sends in 5 crewman with shovels and tubs no licenses needed and no limit except the tide. Free bait for every one.
    Am I missing something????????????? or just dumb

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    OK Fish, where is that twenty bucks you promised me for posting this????
    ME give YOU 20 bucks? Heck, I thought you were going to give me some of you leftover lasagna for the privilege of ME letting YOU agree with ME ;-)

Default you guys crack me

SO this is what I learned from F&G

"There are 3 different sets of regulations that allow for the taking of razor clams in the Kodiak Area:

1) Kodiak subsistence regulations 5 AAC 02.400 5 AAC 02.499. There are no regulations specifically governing subsistence harvest of razor clams in the Kodiak Area. Under statewide subsistence regulations (5 AAC 01.001 01.040), an individual can harvest an unlimited amount of razor clams and use them for any purpose including commercial bait. However, all subsistence users must be residents of Alaska, non-residents cannot dig for razors under subsistence regs.

2) Kodiak personal use regulations 5 AAC 77.450 5 AAC 77.466. Similar to subsistence there are no regulations specifically governing harvest of razor clams under Kodiak Area personal use regulations. Under statewide personal use regulations (5 AAC 77.007 77.035), an individual can harvest an unlimited amount of clams and use them for bait. Collecting clams for personal use requires state residency and a valid sport fishing license.

3) Kodiak sportfish regulations 5 AAC 64.001 5 AAC 64.095. As you pointed out below there is nothing in the sportfish regs that limits the harvest (or use) of razor clams. However, a valid sportfish license is required to harvest anything under sport fish regulations even if there are no harvest limits.

To summarize, to legally dig for clams along Tanner Head everyone must: 1) be a state resident and/or 2) have either a resident or a non-resident sportfish license. However, anyone who meets these conditions can keep an unlimited amount of clams and use them for commercial bait."

Me thinks rally the local users and express our concern to the Dept. about unlimited use for bait depleting availability for sport and food.

The dept has staff in the area and should be able to moniter the effort.
    Inforcement has a hot dog pilot who like to land on beaches. He should be able to fly down and check licenses durring the lowest tides.

If the Dept sees a need for conservation they can make a proposal and I will support it. Its more than one guy can do.
    Hell they lasted this long.
    You are maybe right Mr Fish it might just be about my opinion on how razor clams should be used.
    I`m sure if the same applied to the beaches of CI ther would be a lot more opinions.