Thread: Southeast Bears

Default Southeast Bears

Well, its that time of year.

We've been getting reports of bears starting to stir, though we've still been getting snowed on nearly every day for the last week. When the sun does decide to poke its head out and grace us with its presence, its definately generating some heat, and snow is melting quickly.

I've started to see Skunk Cabbage poke up through the mud behind our place...Grass is starting to poke through the old brown dead stuff.

Has anyone personally spotted bears yet? I myself have not. Though I haven't been out to glass at all yet.

I've got a goal at picking up another bear this spring, but theres only one caveat to it. It has to be at 800+ yards.

Whats everyone else in SE got planned?

Saw a nice one the last two days on a slide around 6:00pm. Only problem is he is in city limits.

Ketchikan has a few that's already made there presence known.

I'm waiting for some of this snow to melt off so I can get a little higher up...I dig glassing the alpine hillsides...especially early season when there is no brush yet...

Default Yep..

I had a small blackie on my back deck two weeks ago.

I have seen 2 brownies so far on Admiralty, but nothing special just yet. Still slow going, but should be picking up soon. Skunk cabbage in the lowland swamps is about 4 inches, some a little more. Its going to be nice weather the next couple days and into next week with highs around 48 they say, so hopefully it will help. With the sun out, it sure is melting quick. Southern exposed beaches have grasses coming up pretty good too. Just a matter of time now. Good luck to all on your spring hunts.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

I hadn't checked the forum much since getting back from SE Alaska last spring. Thought I would check and a post like this sure make me want to be back, can't this spring, but maybe next. To avoid depression, I really need to avoid this forum. Well got to wash the breakfast dishes and get out on the range. Hope you guys have a good bear season.

Default Three weeks

Three weeks until I get a long skiff run for blackies. I'll have Kayak, food, and camp for a week of wilderness exploration.

I love spring and really am looking forward to it.

I'll post photos and story afterwards.