Thread: Trails to Ride Now??

Question Trails to Ride Now??

What trails are OK to ride now? Anything opening up?

Also, looking for a good place to do a long weekend in late May. Any suggestions?

When does Kings River become ok to try?

kincade park
    Semper Fi!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    kincade park
    Seriously??

Default I've heard of a place.....

See link below.... lol
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Is the HWY open yet? Guessing there is a lot of snow up there now. ???

Default Snow

Not much snow, but they haven't opened the road up. I've been riding my Polaris Ranger in and out the last couple of weekends on the highway. Makes for a nice ride in the heated cab, takes me about 3 hours to make the 65 mile trip. There is only a few inches of hard pack on the roads, but it turns to mush in the afternoon, so you have to ride early or way late to keep from getting stuck. There might be a foot left on the trails around the lodge. Just a few more days and my spring horn hunting and bear hunting will commence!

Good Luck! Memorial weekend usually the first decent trail riding up there, but I'm thinking we are going to beat that by a month this year.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Kings is still going to be full of snow. It is shaded in many areas, so you're going to probably need to give it a good month.

Right now, for ATV'ing I'd be looking at Knik (for sure), Eureka (the trails are packed hard, just don't go off trail the snow is still deep), The trail up Beringer is rideable also- hard packed snow trail there too, and the snow off trail isn't too deep. Possibly Jonesville (it's south facing and that area looked like the snow was melting quick). We drove up to Eureka last week and the other trails didn't look rideable yet- I'd definitely nix Purinton and Permanente for now.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Good ride

My buddy and I went atv'ing at Bird creek about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I t was great fun all though we did not get back much further than 4-5 miles when it starts to get ino the ravines. The snow made it a blast, just make sure you have 4x4 and a winch, thats the only way we made back up some of the hills we couldnt resist going down.

kincade park opens the 26th
    Semper Fi!

Default Sutton??

How's the snow in Sutton? I'm thinking about going off Jonesville rd tomorrow and I'm wondering about the trail conditions.

Thanks,
    Been known to

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    How's the snow in Sutton? I'm thinking about going off Jonesville rd tomorrow and I'm wondering about the trail conditions.

Thanks,
    Been known to

I was just at All Elks Rd for the States Muzzel Loader class just yesterday. There was quite a bit of snow still up there at the Elks Camp. Some spots looked good for riding but it was scattered here and there....looks like it would be a slushy ride

We made it nearly to Eska Falls two weeks ago on wheelers. Could have made it all the way but one of the wheelers was over heating. It was not easy and the worst part of the snow was crusted over. Now might be a different story. It's still better than sitting at home wondering if it's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post

Thanks,
    Been known to
    We went out yesterday to Sutton we made it all the way to the big gravel pit/mine and went about another half mile before we gave up our rangers were sinking we truned around and headed back.. But we had fun can't wait to go out again!

Default Petersville Road

Planning on driving up to Petersville Road tomorrow. The road should be clear by now, yes? Thinking that the knik trails will be way to full of water so was thinking Petersville Rd is a safe option? Could be wrong.

Went to Petersville last week. Still a ton of snow up there. I was told the road is still closed at Kroto Creek.

Had friends that rode Jonesville yesterday. He said there was still snow but they made it to the top of the loop that would take you to Eska falls. He said it was hard going but that he estimates that Jonesville is losing a foot of snow a day at these temperatures. Won't be long!
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Had friends that rode Jonesville yesterday. He said there was still snow but they made it to the top of the loop that would take you to Eska falls. He said it was hard going but that he estimates that Jonesville is losing a foot of snow a day at these temperatures. Won't be long!
    Thats good to hear might make another trip up thier next weekend ..

Well we drove all the way up there from Anchorage and was only able to ride for 20 minutes. One of the machines (polaris 450 sportsman) is having major throttle issues. **** it! So much for paying to have them tuned up and ready to roll. Back to ATV Salvage in ER it goes in the morning. There still was a good 2-3 feet of snow on the road up there. Slushy fun.