Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: parks streams in April?

Default parks streams in April?

How do the parks hwy streams look this time of year? I got some time off and I want to wet a line, but I don't want to go all the way to the flippin' kenai. Mainly want to work the rust off before my big trip to the SE in a week and a half. Are the streams open? Do I stand a chance of catching anything?

The slough is still frozen, so I can't combat grayling fish with the rest of the North Pole locals.

one could get their line wet, but with recent cold temps at night I think the su valley is looking at another 10 days or 2 weeks before i would consider it worth my time to head to parks streams, and I am an hour away. I wouldn't find it worth the drive down from fairbanks but fishing beats not fishing every time so if you have some to spare go for it.

I am going that way this weekend to go ice fishing on the lakes......I believe the soonest I have ever fished in the Valley streams was Memorial Day Weekend, I had a friend catch/release a huge rainbow near the downstream side of the Willow bridge one year. I would not plan a trip sany sooner than last week of April from the Interior.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

pick a nice sunny day, because some rays is all your likely to catch this time of year...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I've fished it in April two years in a row now. First year was middle of April, lots of ice flows, couldn't really fish. Last year I fished the end of April, no ice flows, but no fish either. It will get hot in May though
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Well dang. I may go anyway because I guess you never know until you try. If it stinks I can always just keep heading south I guess.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I heard of a guy fishing willow on Sunday from a guy at work. No fish, but he tried.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I heard of a guy fishing willow on Sunday from a guy at work. No fish, but he tried.
    That's kind of funny as I just asked the boys @the fly shop in Wasilla today what the mouth of Willow looked like and they said it was still solid. We are getting there but still 10 days to 2 weeks away I think.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    That's kind of funny as I just asked the boys @the fly shop in Wasilla today what the mouth of Willow looked like and they said it was still solid. We are getting there but still 10 days to 2 weeks away I think.
    But I want to go now! Is the upper kenai floatable by canoe this time of year? I floated it in a drift boat last september. I remember it being fairly tame.

As other posts have cover the kenai it is flowing and If you are comfortable with a canoe in moving water than I'd say that is your best bet. Here is a link to look at flows and info of some rivers. As you look and click on willow its flat lined at the bottom. Be safe and have fun! http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/current/?type=flow

I wonder if I got bad info, there weren't any details. Sorry.

I think I might go just to get eyes on the conditions and report back. It beats sitting around North Pole watching the trash flowers bloom.

Before I had a raft we used to float the Kenai every Spring in a canoe.

I drive over the Willow every night and there's a little open water, but my guess is that the mouth is closed pretty tight...and any open holes will be in places you will not be willing to walk...

Default Willow Ck

yesterday at the mouth there was a strip of open water about 15' long x 4' wide. the road is open to the campground.
    Gary

Turns out we were both right. This guy has been fishing upstream from the mouth.

I went up that way today to cut firewood and checked out the mouth. I tried to fish a little hole and had a 6 incher chase my esl, then my puppy fell off the edge of the ice and I tip toed out there to save him
    Might be a few days until it really breaks loose.

Alright, Thanks for the photo up date.It's getting closer!

Default upper kenai

Went down today...real windy but the water is open and blue. We had a couple hits but nothing landed. Maybe ill go back when i can cast..ahh spring in ak

2 rainbows and a grayling w/ a red white and pink crocodile at the mouth of the Willow. I would cast it on the ice and drag it off as it would sink in the current they would smack it

is there still alot of snow up that way fullbush? winder what the mouth of sheep is lookin like? wanting to get out this weekend and fish/camp

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast