Thread: Which camo for the Dalton

Default Which camo for the Dalton

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of camo pattern would work best on the Dalton for caribou during the first couple weeks of September. I am not proud, so if you have some home made ideas that is fine too.
    I tried to search and there were just a million threads that didn't really pertain to this.
    Thanks for your ideas and experiences.
    Andy

Default Cabela's Outfitter

I like Cabela's outfitter. The tundra can have several patterns that will work but I prefer a larger pattern than one like Mossy Oak fall or something alone that line. You will have a lot of browns usually, some greens with willows. But mostly browns or rock grey. If I was home I could post some pictures of the colors for you.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Light colored stuff. I don't know the names of the particular patterns, but when I was up there, 90% of the hunters I saw stuck out like sore thumbs out on the tundra because their camo was WAY too dark. My particular camo suit is very old and worn out and now has a grayish tint to it. According to my wife who sometimes watched from afar, I disappeared when I was more than 50 yards from her, whereas she could spot most other hunters from a mile away. Grass-patterned camos seem OK as well.

I agree with Brian. most everybody looks like a black blob at a distance.
    I picked up new jacket this year. more tan color with bold design. carthart tan colored jacket with few splashes or yellow . red and brown paint would probably work better that commercial.

A friend used to use bright yellow helly hansen rain gear with bold lines of brown and green paint seemed to work for him.

In Sept you should also have winter camo or tyvex overalls, high likely hood of snow.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default ASAT camo

ASATcamo.com wear whatever you want while hiking/driving, or even swimming?, then when the time is right throw them on. they have a 1 year guarantee that you'll get closer to game then ever before. if i were a rep i'd tell you more(and sell you more), but i get no commission so go check them out on the site!

Default Another vote for Cabela's Outfitter Camo

I switched to the Cabela's Outfitter brown camo. It completely blends in to almost every terrain AK has to offer. I've had huntin' buddies literally walk by within a few yards of me and nearly jump out of their skin when I say something to let them know I'm there. I used the Advantage camo before and that blended in well, but not nearly as invisible on the tundra. Can't explain it, just works for me.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by snagbro1 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of camo pattern would work best on the Dalton for caribou during the first couple weeks of September. I am not proud, so if you have some home made ideas that is fine too.
    I tried to search and there were just a million threads that didn't really pertain to this.
    Thanks for your ideas and experiences.
    Andy
    The lighter the color the better from what I've observed in 12 trips up there. Tan duck Carhartts even work well, hard to keep dry though. Predator grey is surprisingly affective too. Anything with "much" brown in it, sticks out like a beacon. Saw a guy with a light colored (gold, yellow, tan, light green) guilly suit once out in the open and when he crouched down, he was gone! That was impressive. My .02...

I still have one of my sniper ghillie suites, maybe I should try it out this year,,,

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Dalton Camo

Looks like I may have to revamp the hunting clothes collection a little. I do have a pair of the tan (like Carhart) hunting pants that are waterproof. I may have to get out the paint brush and do a little work with some lighter gray, yellow and maybe a little red paint.

Thanks for all the input guys. It sure is nice to have this site to glean some good information. I know the first trip up there will be a learning experience, but it will also be nice to be somewhat prepaired too.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by snagbro1 View Post
    Looks like I may have to revamp the hunting clothes collection a little. I do have a pair of the tan (like Carhart) hunting pants that are waterproof. I may have to get out the paint brush and do a little work with some lighter gray, yellow and maybe a little red paint.

Thanks for all the input guys. It sure is nice to have this site to glean some good information. I know the first trip up there will be a learning experience, but it will also be nice to be somewhat prepaired too.
    Andy
    Oh, and don't forget a cheap overwhite/tyvek type of suit. I work on the slope and have seen it dump snow on the 4th of July and every other month throughout the year. Better to have it and not need it.

We had cheep over-whites this weekend over Seclusion 3D and Realtree APG and had no issues when we were actually in the right place. I'm not sure the camo is really the issue it seems more to be the patience in letting them feed into you.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by "Ricky" View Post
    We had cheep over-whites this weekend over Seclusion 3D and Realtree APG and had no issues when we were actually in the right place. I'm not sure the camo is really the issue it seems more to be the patience in letting them feed into you.
    You are correct. But not all situations allow for that.