Thread: p14 drill rifle

Default p14 drill rifle

Asking for help, friend of mine gave me his P14 drill rifle, appears that only the barrel will need replacing, however, am having a heck of a time finding a barrel.
    Any suggestions guys?

Ebay usually has a few military take-offs. Otherwise its usually buying a blank and having it threaded. I love 1917's (basically same exact rifle) but I usually just give it to the smith and tell him what caliber I want. let him do the work of finding a tube.

The bolt and magazine on his P-14 is for a rimmed cartridge (303). The 1917s were modified for use with the rimless 30-06.

I wonder if the P-14 bolt face would take a 45-70...??

The British kept the P-14 Rifles in their inventory until the end of WWII, Redesignated as the Rifle No. 3 Mark I* in 1926. The asterisk indicates a 1916 modification to the P-14s slightly lengthening the left locking lug.
    Prior to WWI, The UK had been experimenting with a new rifle design, and a new caliber. The experimental rifles were furnished in .276 calibre and were designated the P-13 (1913 model)
    This rifle was to possibly replace the the Lee Enfield Mark III calibre .303. The Lee Enfield Rifle had been designed by an American, James Paris Lee, a part-time employee of the Remington Arms Company who also designed the 6mm Lee Navy Rifle
    iii used by the Navy and Marines in the Spanish American War and Boxer rebellion.

In 1914 WWI started,,, so...The P-13 was redesigned to handle the .303 cartridge, and re-designated the P-14 or the Pattern 14 Enfield Rifle.
    The UK contracted with Remington and Winchester to build the P-14 for them in the United States. Remington even formed another corporation, “Remington of Delaware”, to speed up the process. The plant to produce these rifles for Remington’s subsidiary was located in Eddystone, Pennsylvania (and owned strangely enough by the Baldwin Locomotive Works). Eddystone, Remington and Winchester called these rifles (using UK nomenclature) the P-14 Rifles.

When the United States entered the Great War in April of 1917, the UK had enough SMLEs to issue to their regular military and were phasing out their contracts with Remington, Eddystone, and Winchester.

Since the P-14 UK contract was being phased out, the P-14 was redesigned to shoot the .30-’06 round.
    .this would take the pressure off the companies trying to build enough 1903 Spingfields.

xx

Smile P-14

Yes the P-14 can be turned into a 45-70 that is a common modification, only the magazine and feed rails need slight alterations. I personally have a .303 SMLE that has been rebarreled to 45-90 and it shoots great. Good thing about Enfield designed rifles is that they have a higher pressure capacity, than the older 45-70s. Thus allowing the use of modern high pressure ammo like in 95' Marlins and 94' Winchesters. FOOD FOR THOUGHT, HUH?

I spent an hour looking for P-14 barrels as a challage. No luck Many other folks are looking as well..

You can get a whole P-14 rifle for around $220...

Sometimes Sportmans Guide gets weird barrels and stocks. Try calling them

Depending on the money, I had a 458Lott built on a P14. I then decided to go with the 1917 (smiths dont complain as much). Good guns, great for big bores, nice big actions to fit big rounds in with very little mods. There making wildcats (bigbores) with the RUM cartridges now and the enfields are perfect. Next time I'm gonna build a 458 or bigger its gonna be on an enfield. I have a winchester 1917 right now in the safe but I just sold it to pay for part of my other 3 projects.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3..._1/1917001.jpg

probably gonna regret selling this one but I'll get another.

as for barrels, if you want to get a new bolt (easiest option) you can find 1917 bbl's on ebay. may not be the caliber or style you want but they are there. You want parts for enfields advertise on accuratereloading (sorry for mentioning another site) but theres alot of enfield fanatics over there. I bought a very nice bolt for $20 and they have alot of what you need. One of the guys there bought my 1917.

Default p14

thanks guys for the help. Hate to do it,but, I guess I will have it set up for some kind of anti tank cartridge; tongue in cheek guys, I am a swede mauser fanatic. Anything larger that my 444 marlin is a boomer.

Default Brand Spanking new High Standard WWII Model 1917 barrel...

is available at Davy Crockett gun shop in Pocatello, Idaho....yeah, I know it's an '06. The only P14 barrel I've seen is at a place called Doc's Gun Barn in Pocatello. Only problem is it's on a complete sporterized P14 rifle.

http://www.docsgunbarn.welcomeyou.com/ 208-233-3912

Crockett- 208-232-3018

I had mine turned into a 500 Jeffrey, and it's throated long so I can use 50 bmg milsurp, so I guess that rates it as an antitank round when I shoot 690 gr AP bullets @ 2100 fps. That said I also shoot 470 gr cast @ 1100 fps and it's all grins at that level. Get's your attention pushing 600 gr or more over 2000 fps.

Default p14 drill rifle

Dear Paul H, Oh Yeah, Need One, something to show up with at Deer Camp in the Catskills of New York!
    Anyone who is curious, the town of Harvard every season.
    That would be too cool!, can only imagine the muzzle flash and recoil, would love it to death, does it come with ear plugs and ibuprofin?