Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitriol...

Default Vitriol...

and the pissing matches that nearly every thread in the hunting forum eventually turn into...

I think it's time to have an adult (that means polite, rational, objective) conversation about how we communicate with each other. Now, I am not the final judge of right and wrong, nor am I annointing myself the conscience of the group but does every thread have to turn ugly???

The degree of presumption, and reactionary, self-righteous indignation that passes for posts about hunting and fishing is astounding. And frustrating. And saddening.

I have gained precious insights from this forum and try to give back. I share my modest knowlede about the things or places I'm comfortable or confident, and I try to word my posts carefully so others won't misinterpret my meaning. No matter, guttersnipes are well represented here, as are some folks who, apparently, can't read all that well. Then there's those who seem to think that anyone with an opinion different than theirs is calling them a liar or an idiot by saying 'I disagree...'

That's too bad, really.

I don't know about the group but frequent this forum to read the stories and see the pictures of others enjoying the great beauty and bounty of our state, and to learn from those more knowledgeable than me. Those things still exist here but I'm tired of having to pick through the manure they always seem to get buried under.

Maybe the Mods should ban the chronic offenders?

I'm not naming names nor pointing fingers, and God knows I've made my fair share of dumbassed comments. So I speak only for myself when I say this childishness has to stop. Are we not men? Can we not have civil dialog and hear all views?

What is so hard about asking for a poster to clarify a thing before lambasting them for what was probably a typo?

Why are so many here eager to find offense in every expressed opinion?

I don't expect this thread to be a group hug and nobody needs to sing Kumbaya, I just hope it doesn't turn into more of the same. I've said my piece...let the sniping begin.

Thanks for the note, Erik. I will say that from my perspective this forum is pretty darn good as it relates to respectful dialogue. There are exceptions, of course, but in general I think folks here are helpful and willing to disagree without making things personal. I don't spend any time to speak of on other forums, but on the occassions that I have checked out other sites I have often been shocked at the amount of personal attacks I have seen. I think this community is pretty solid by comparison. That being said, it is certainly worth having this conversation and reflecting on how things are going. There has been an uptick in the biting comments over the past few weeks, and hopefully that is a trend that we can put an end to as spring rolls into summer.

On a side note, though we have a great moderator team, it is just not possible for us to read every one of the posts that is made on here on a daily basis. We rely on members to report posts that are violations of forum rules. We tend to get lots of reports of the spam posts, but very few (if any) when personal attacks start being levied. Sometimes we miss these posts for a while and they end up snowballing into something bigger. If you see something that should be reviewed, please hit the button in the upper right corner of the post to send us a message about it.

Have to agree with Eric, I've gotten so tired of this stuff I don't hardly post here in the hunting forums anymore.

Something else that needs to be said as well. When people are trying to gather some info from here, they need to try the search function because I can pretty much guarantee you that whatever they are looking for has been covered already. Sure it doesn't hurt to ask quesions but do it after going through the search function. Does anyone else get tired of seeing the same threads over and over again?? OK, let the bashing begin..........

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    and the pissing matches that nearly every thread in the hunting forum eventually turn into...

I think it's time to have an adult (that means polite, rational, objective) conversation about how we communicate with each other. Now, I am not the final judge of right and wrong, nor am I annointing myself the conscience of the group but does every thread have to turn ugly???

The degree of presumption, and reactionary, self-righteous indignation that passes for posts about hunting and fishing is astounding. And frustrating. And saddening.

I have gained precious insights from this forum and try to give back. I share my modest knowlede about the things or places I'm comfortable or confident, and I try to word my posts carefully so others won't misinterpret my meaning. No matter, guttersnipes are well represented here, as are some folks who, apparently, can't read all that well. Then there's those who seem to think that anyone with an opinion different than theirs is calling them a liar or an idiot by saying 'I disagree...'

That's too bad, really.

I don't know about the group but frequent this forum to read the stories and see the pictures of others enjoying the great beauty and bounty of our state, and to learn from those more knowledgeable than me. Those things still exist here but I'm tired of having to pick through the manure they always seem to get buried under.

Maybe the Mods should ban the chronic offenders?

I'm not naming names nor pointing fingers, and God knows I've made my fair share of dumbassed comments. So I speak only for myself when I say this childishness has to stop. Are we not men? Can we not have civil dialog and hear all views?

What is so hard about asking for a poster to clarify a thing before lambasting them for what was probably a typo?

Why are so many here eager to find offense in every expressed opinion?

I don't expect this thread to be a group hug and nobody needs to sing Kumbaya, I just hope it doesn't turn into more of the same. I've said my piece...let the sniping begin.
    Dont think anything else needs to be said great post

Amen to that
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Thumbs up

I fully agree with you Erik! Thank you.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Have to agree with Eric, I've gotten so tired of this stuff I don't hardly post here in the hunting forums anymore.

Something else that needs to be said as well. When people are trying to gather some info from here, they need to try the search function because I can pretty much guarantee you that whatever they are looking for has been covered already. Sure it doesn't hurt to ask quesions but do it after going through the search function. Does anyone else get tired of seeing the same threads over and over again?? OK, let the bashing begin..........
    I fight with this. I find it tiresome to see the same questions asked repeatedly but I am starting to see it like modern movies. All of the good plots have been taken, so all there is now is to revive old stuff and add a new twist if you can come up with one. I would hate to see the active posting on the site wither away until it is nothing but a researchable database. It would suck to see this site become "wikipedia". Besides, I never get tired of seeing someone bite on the "file the front sight off" line!

Thumbs up

All I can say is well put!

Default yeah, kinda

I guess I agree, "kinda," with this post it definitely needed to be said tho

Since joining just a few months ago I have been BOTH surprised, saddened by some of the ranting and personal mean spirited stuff that gets said, AND quite impressed with MOST of the really insightful and helpful responses of these Forum Folks.

I honestly think the majority of the discussions are pretty civil if not really cool and tactful. Amazing for the Internet where nobody has to see your face when you type whatever you feel.

Overall pretty impressive Forum for discussion by my experience, and we could all do better probably by making sure the cool people don't quit but keep being COOL. Good One Erik
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Erik, I disagree <grin>.

Seriously though...you make good and valid points. Not sure if there is a real cure though. It's the wide-open intertubes, where folks can be anonymous and some just have fun pot-stirring.

I agree this is one of the better forums. Good to remind folks we should try to keep it that way.
    Thanks,

I didnt even visit this website for about 3 months because I was getting tired of it too.

Default Good forum, but....

I honestly get tired of it also. I rarely post anymore. Many different reason's though. Some are the BS written here, some are the ethics police here, and another is the fact that there are a LOT of lurkers looking for specifics and new places to go. Being the selfish A-hole that I am, will leave it at that!

I agree here in such that the search function is a wonderful tool on this forum, however disagree that should be the only discourse for gathering information and advice. Me being an extremely new poster to the forum, however have been reading, searching, and learning for some time. I may not feel obligated to search every last topic I would like to discuss. I actually do not get tired of seeing old subject rehashed either. You never know, when an unknowing Newb like myself, might pull out a nugget of good info. "The only stupid question, is the one that goes unasked."

As far as the nasty comments and diatribe that has been noticed as of late. I don't mind reading people's passionate arguments on varying topics, as long as it doesn't erode into personal attacks. I instantly lose respect for people that behave in such a manner.

The Mods here to a great job of monitoring and seem to be very quick to respond to inappropriate behavior.

Everyone just needs to act as a moral adult should in this venue, even if they are not an adult.

Like Mom said. "You two boys play nice, or I'm taking your toys away!"

"Oh.... Oh Come on Mom!!!"

Cheers!
    Jake

Anyone else think that the recent meanspiritedness is just cabin fever? I truely think things will settle down once people get fishing again!

And as to searching the forums, it might be just me but I can't get any useful information using it! I seem to have a problem with vBulletin searches everywhere(different forums).
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Good post...my only input here is that I would like to see a "dead horse" button.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    And as to searching the forums, it might be just me but I can't get any useful information using it! I seem to have a problem with vBulletin searches everywhere(different forums).
    I have the some issues as you do and rank it right up there with the search function on ADF&G's website. I have found Google does a better job of finding relevant info on both websites than their included search functions.

I'm not as search savvy as most, I suppose. I search terms/topics etc... and I get a zillion posts/threads that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic, even if I use the advanced search and narrow it down to searching only one forum.

Don't know about the hunting forum of late, I'm usually reading in the shooting/handloading forum.

Tim

Default well said

well said Eric... but seems forums always bring out the worst (more often than the best) in people. thats why i lurk and rarely post, but this site is still a ton better than most sites i visit... looked at the comments on youtube lately?? just seems to be human nature that we all want to be a bit smarter than the last liar.... meanwhile i on occasion still hear/read something good here between all the diatribe, so will continue to lurk and send PM's more often than posting, lol.

and i agree wholeheartedly with TMCKEE, if the moderators are reading please put up a button!!!

saying of the day and totally appropriate for this thread;
    "stop being so stupid.. it’s my turn..."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i have been off visiting other forums due to the excessive crap that can go on around here as well.. and i will say this..

IF YOU THINK THE AOD IS HEAVILY MODERATED

THINK AGAIN>..

many of the long standing outdoors and equipment forums around the country have 5-10 times the moderation and staff keeping them family friendly... and 3 strikes your out. period.
    Mike could easily add 5-6 more mods and rule rules to go with them... and still be easier then some of the others... the benefit of the other forums i see... is that those that come to argue and start crap.. soon wander elsewhere...
    there tend to be to much Labeling here... lujon got labeled mod last year took a ton of slack for being himself.. as do many of the GUIDES... holy crap... let a person be a person... holier then thou folks like labels i guess... Did it to Bushrat last year and myself this year with the moty thingy... and the absolute freaking hilarious part was...

those labeling didn't participate ... imagine that. it is like giving hunting advice and then saying... duh huh... well i have never shot one yet ...BUT I WILL, and then be the ultimate subsistence user.. ethics police, and game Warden all dressed up as one...

the ever present know betters.. wow.. can not only... NOT discuss a topic but have to call people names as well..

used to be fun around here.. if it was not for the PMs i get and the email message there would be little to draw me back... but on that also...

there are a TON of really good people on here, those are the ones worth chatting with...

i rather enjoy my time away anymore... seems the world is not as close minded as folks make it out to be.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Anyone else think that the recent meanspiritedness is just cabin fever? I truely think things will settle down once people get fishing again!

Yes, The vBulletin search is very weak. Lucky for everyone that we are google powered! Just hit the search drop-down and select "Advanced search" there you can enter your search word or phrase in the oh so familiar google box and in standard google style you will have all kinds of good results appear right there on your screen!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast