Thread: First time purchase for a sled (help)

Default First time purchase for a sled (help)

Guys, I just bought 5 acres of remote recreational property between Willow and Talkeetna 15 miles west of the Parks hwy. From talking to the neighbor it is about a 25 mile ride each way from where he parks, maybe Deshka Landing. I'm looking at ordering a new 2011 Ski-Doo for next years outings to the property. I hear that the trails are good that we'll be using to transit to the property, and that I'll have to transit the Deshka river some to get out to the property. I've never had a sled, but am considering a 2011 Ski-Doo Expedition 2 seater w/ the 550F engine. This model is like a grand touring model w/ a 16" wide track and a longer track than a touting sled, bigger flotation on the skis etc. I'll be using it to haul some freight in the winter. I'll probably have a cabin built on my property so I'll just need to do the finishing etc. The WT and SWT are out of my budget and I need a 2 seater for me and the wife. Next year probably buy another sled so we can each take one of our boys.
    Another sled I like is the Bearcat 570XT I believe it too has 2 seats and has a 20" track.
    If you guys have any good info on a sled for me please let me know.
    Thanks Billy Jack

There were 2 newer Expeditions on Craigslist for what you are looking at paying for one machine. 25 miles with no backup is a bit scarey to me. Be sure to have snowshoes etc if you only get one machine.

There was a problem with the 2010 550F engines. I believe that they have a fix.

Bearcats are solid machines. They have a better windshield for trail riding.

SkiDoos have better ergonomics. Great for my tired back.

Save your self some $$$$$ and buy this years model at the begining of next season.

If your are going to ride double, i would lean towards a machine with a 20" wide track on it, Better flotation, less tippy and get off trail won,t tunnel in the snow as bad. There all good machines each company has model with likes and dislikes. I tell one thing don,t base anything on what a salesman tell you. Go up to the landing and stand around when people are loading or unloading and pick there brain, If i was there, hell i would tell you take it for a spin around the lot see what you think.Most would happy to share why they own this one or that one and what we use it for, also when you start to look around you will see alot of certain models up there of the same kind, There is a good reason for this. Good luck with your choice, Other reading to! http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?&&CODE=00

Default Bearcat XT

Billy Jack, I bought the 2010 Bearcat XT and love it so far. Can put alot of weight on it with the 20" track. This is my first machine also and from what I hear this model is very reliable. Give Scott at Anderson Arctic Cat a call. He had the best deal I could find anywhere. Good luck!

Wink Back yard!

Sound like to me your talking like the Mono Lakes area or up the upper Deshka some where. And those area are groomed some if not most of the way. So with that said you are looking at almost any machine will do what you need other than packing the trail into your cabin area.
    Like I said in the title it's just all in the backyard!
    Just let me know and I am more than willing to help you get there the first time by sled!
    By the way Bearcat Good!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Your right on the money, Langman Lake a matter of fact, just south of Mona Lake. Glad to hear that those trails are in great shape, groomed and all. My second choice is the Bearcat 570XT.

Thumbs up Good choice!

Like I said this is my back yard. And I have friends around there. I groom the first 13 miles out there and the people in that area do a lot of trail work to keep there trails in good shape.
    You will love it around there. And you will get good at riding because there are so many trails in that area to discover!
    Have Fun and let me know if you need any help!
    By the way it's takes me about 25 min. to get there on my Yamaha Attack from downtown Willow.
    And you can still get there from here right now!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

I've got the Bearcat XT and pretty much my only complaint is the fact that you need 2 strong or 3 not so strong people to move it if you get really stuck. I get stuck alot in powder with two of us on it but I'm a noob on sleds and someone experienced probably wouldn't get stuck as much as I do. This thing rides like a dream on groomed trails but does get tippy in powder over a foot deep.

Well I just bought a 2003 Ski-Doo Skandic WT, 600 SUV, the
    price was right, looks like new and only has 1600 miles on it. being a wide track and seeing the videos on youtube made me really want one. These things look like jeeps in the snow. Can't wait to start hauling cabin materials out this winter. From what I've heard the 600 liquid cooled engine is as bulletproof as the old 550F.
    Thanks for the input.
    Billy

Thumbs up Scratchers

Don't forget to get a set of scratchers for it. They really help when towing loads on groomed trails.
    See you next season in the backyard!!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe