Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: extreme subsistence hunter

Default extreme subsistence hunter

Just watched the best spear hunting video I have ever seen and thought I should share.Talk about fair chase!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpo_mA5RP8

Subsistance with Primitive means.

Doing it that way isnt "Extream", its Oldfashioned~~LOL!!~~

Persistance Hunt...thats new....

Thats pretty **** cool, Kotton!!.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

yea it is he showed I saw it at his house earlier....dont think i could do that haha.....pretty hardcore though them african tribesmen

Release Lake Trout

**** dude even after 3 weeks i still cant rep ya! hey can someone rep kotton for me?

Release Lake Trout

Thumbs up Way cool vid!

& I love David Attenborough's work! I remember seein' him in Alaska, on the Bristol Bay, whispering to the mic 'bout how he's down wind of a Brownie, & that they have poor eyesight, & excellent sense of smell, & good ears, hence his ability to be within yards of the brownie... (they also showed a moose not too far from the brownie, as well) I think this is the Brownie episode as well, that showed brownies diggin' for clams & he explained that even for their size, they can "daintily" open up clams...

I repped him for ya H&FAK...

thanks goalie!

Release Lake Trout

Just curious, but how would the camera man keep up with the hunter runner? Great video.

great video! i will think about that the next time i start getting tired while hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by m88.358win View Post
    Just curious, but how would the camera man keep up with the hunter runner? Great video.
    That's also what I was thinking. Not to be a nay-sayer, as the guy is undoubtedly way tougher than I am, but there was some stuff I just didn't buy into.
    Runner-dude chases Kudu across arid plains for 8 hours under a full sun with 1 jug of water, and then has enough to spare that he dumps half of it on himself?
    How far does he get in 8 hours of running? 10, 20, 30 miles? Now what? Carry it back by yourself or does the rest of the group track through the dark and catch up?
    Seems like there was quite a bit of "show" added for the cameras.

On a side note, it would seem that he makes use of the "shoulder shot" to help anchor the game.

he was spearing the vitals.

and i believe the whole deal, those africans are crazy man. If youve read the book elmer keith: Hell i was there, its even more believeable.

Release Lake Trout

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

I believe it too! I'm sure the Kudo didn't run in a straight line. It probably backtracked a bit. After the kill,he may have re-enacted what he did so the cameraman could get his footage. It's incredible. Puts alot of our drive up, park, camp and shoot in perspective!

Default nikes

Liked the nike shoes and the "shoulder shot" ! LOL

Does the narrator actually believe some of the stuff he said? 2 legs are better for endurance than 4? http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/85/4/1368

If evolution is true then we evolved our higher intelligence and opposable thumbs to make up for our complete lack of other useful traits to make us superior to just about any prey species with the loan exception of the spruce grouse!

Default Dunno...

'bout you Lujon, but I know that man can maintain a certain pace for a long period of time...4 legged creatures can only sustain that out burst for only a short period of time, before #1) tiring & re-nutrientizing up or #2) resting & relaxin' & revitalizing, & gettin' ate in the process.

& I am with the other that said this is a reenactment...

LuJon, I recall reading (don't know where) that 4-leggers have an immediate advantage in evasion, but dogged pursuit by a fit 2-legger will near-always result in the 2-legger "walking down" the 4-legger if terrain permits. I don't expect it to work on sheep and goats.

Thats the same way a Bear hunts Caribou calfs. No rest, dogged following untill the animal is poop'd out.

Wolves will tail and Tire Moose in such a way if theres only a few, exhaustion, no sleep and harrassmant will level the feild.

Hunters of old up this way followed Bears, Otters, Lynx and such in the same way, often following with dogs.

The main idea about an advantage over the Kudu was his lack of rest/cooling down and lack of water that the man could replentish on the go, is quite the advantage.

I bet the only thing that was changed was his spear for his AK-47 he ususally packs.

Attenborough is quite well know for his accuracy, with actual footage and editing to bring out the story. (its a science based theme, not a hunting show)
    Very well could be a reinactment, might be just what he did, with plenty of editing, extra filming and more than one camera. I bet they kept up with an ATV or two, only closeing on foot when he signaled. Nothing wrong with that.

Im gonna watch it again
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The army is studying sled dogs specifically regarding their insane endurance to try and learn ways to improve that capacity in humans. Did anyone read the study I posted? I recently read an article on it that basically explained how sled dogs healed on the move, they literally got stronger the longer they went! Man is simply no comparison! That said how many legs does a husky have?

Default Persistance

Unwavering will is what that is. Is that "primitive" or what.Enjoyed it immensly thanks for the video kotton.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Reality shows reanactments are basicly getting out of hand.

You can see that in this vid.

The reason for these kinda vids., that they are trying to teach you how it was done, but thier main reason is to get more money to keep living their dream.

I have no dought that what was shown was true, but adding the fril's to the vid. dos'nt potray the real story.

Look at the "Deadliest Catch" ever notice where they are in 30 foot seas and the camera is watching the said boat from behind and the camera is dead still? You think the camera boat, or chopper ar'nt going to be affected by the same wave's, or weather?

And I have to agree that something with 4 leg's is going to outdo something on 2. Or maybe I'm just way out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

And I have to agree that something with 4 leg's is going to outdo something on 2. Or maybe I'm just way out of shape.
    Friday April 9th 2010
    Rock Skipper agreed with LuJon,

Sorry I have to keep track of these special dates. And notice the date, it is "tomorrow" here so unlike you guys who get the draw results on Friday I have to wait till Saturday morning!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast