Thread: Totally new to reloading

Default Totally new to reloading

Greetings everyone,

I need some advice; I have been shooting (often) for 25+ years 1st at Uncle Sam's expense then just for fun. I have historically always shot factory ammo, I figured I had a good job and could afford it. I even would donate my brass to anyone who wanted it. recently i have acquired an expensive habit that calls for me to reload. I have fallen in love with shooting the .338 Lapua. Unless I win the lottery I need to reload to continue shooting the **** thing. I have reloaded shotgun shells when I took a Skeet/trap course in college 18 years ago but it was already set up, measured etc.

I have the spent cases, tumbler, powder, projectiles & dies. What I don't have is a press (yet) or the know how to set one up. If anyone reloads this caliber I would really appreciate some direction. Thank you in advance.

For the most part, bottle neck rounds such as the 338Lapua all are pretty similar to load for. Get a loading muanal or two that has a how to section. Most do but some are better than others. And get the ABCs of reloading. You will need a press of course. And there are a bunch to choose from. There's no point in getting anything other than a single stage unless you plan to load pistol rounds. I would start with a good single stage anyway. The rcbs rockchucker and the Lee classic cast are both good presses that will last a lifetime and more. Hornady, lyman, Redding and others also make very good presses but for that round don't get one of the dinky cheapo presses that are out there. You also need a powder scale to get started and sooner or later will need a case trimmer. Other goodies will follow as you figure out exactly how far you want to go with this habit er hobby. I don't load for the 338Lapua but would be glad to show you how to get started and set things up. I currently have 4 presses set up, a single, two turrets, and a progressive and would be glad to show you the advantages of one type of equiptment over another. If you are interested either PM or call at 688-3849 for Buck. I'm in the Chugiak area. Just out of curiosity, what does a box of 338Lapua cost?

Default $ of Lapua

Rbuck,

GNG has Hornady for $99/20 rds. Remington (Scenar) for $130/20rds and WWG have Lapua (Scenar) for $65/10 rds.

You're going to pay for that Rockchucker real fast!

Yeah, It won't take long to recoop startup costs reloading for that beast. Wow, the cheap stuff is $5 a pop. It's not hard to see why you want to load for that one. Anyway If you want any help working things out, I have been loading for just under 50yrs and still have all my parts. Always willing to help someone get started.

Sounds good Rbuck, I will give you a call this week to set up something next weekend or so. Thanks in advance.