Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you sleep with one in the chamber?

Wink Do you sleep with one in the chamber?

With all the interest generated with the questions, and polls dealing with hunting with a round in the chamber I thought this question might be interesting so I'll ask. How many folks out there sleep with a loaded firearm, rifle, or shotgun? When the light fails, and you crawl into your nylon tube,or umbrella are you ready to rock if the need arises. I am, how about you? Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Yes, I have my pistol in my bag with me. Rifle is sitting off to the side an might be loaded if I saw lots of bear that day or have killed something with blood smell in proximity to my tent. I store meet away from camp but you canít get rid of all the smell.

Pistol always in the bag with me.
    Now what ?

I'm not sure if this is hypocritical, as I don't hike with one in the chamber, but....yes, I sleep with one in the chamber.

-Brian

Default Nope..

but I usually have big medicine (.44) in the tent too. I don't chamber a round without the .44 in the tent either.

Tim

Default always

The last thing I want to do is have to fumble around trying to chamber a round when I've just been woken up by a bear in camp.

Talking Duke

As the Duke would say: "Well a gun that ain't loaded ain't good for nothing."

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

as we touched on before pistols are always loaded. but i won't put one in my rifle to load it. last thing i need is my buddy tripping over the guy lines on the tent and falling on me and i grabbed my loaded gun and i'm not awake....wooooopsy.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Interesting...

None in the hole, none in the mag, 5 in the bag.......And I'm one of the guys who hunts loaded too! I do it simply because it's difficult to control my muzzle direction in a small tent, I can't always point it where I feel the direction is safest (ie partner in the tent). And just like I approach hunting, muzzle direction trumps all when you're handling guns...

I was expecting a very sarcastic thread when I opened this one. I have to say it's interesting the way each of us perceives safety when it comes to our firearms, and what will will/won't do to mitigate those risks. Some guys pack loaded CCW, but would NEVER hunt loaded. Some hunt loaded, but won't sleep with one, while other guys swear they don't hunt loaded, but always sleep with one.

Talking Bad breath and hairy

"Some hunt loaded, but won't sleep with one, while other guys swear they don't hunt loaded, but always sleep with one."

It is dark, your tent starts to shake as something that is hairy and has bad breath is brushing against it. You look over and the wife is still sleeping next to you so you know it is not her. You probably do not want to be turning on a light and fumbling around. Too late for that.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I often hunt alone & if I am & have the shotgun with me, yes there's one in the chamber & the .44 mag is at the pillow.
    If I hav the family with me in the same tent the shotgun will be there but may not have one in the chamber.
    If I don't have the shotgun with me, then yes on the 44 mag by the pillow.
    I either bow or handgun hunt so a rifle isn't an issue.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Empty hole in rifle. Six in the SuperBlackHawk 44.

Thumbs up

I have my trusty 'ol 30.06 chambered and pointing at the tent door (cause you know thats where the bear will tear through the tent!). I keep it between me and the tent wall so there won't be any tripping on it.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Hmmmm...

Rifle pointed at the tent door, none in the chamber but the safety is off so I can work the bolt quickly and fire. Even in the dark I can safely and quickly chamber a round.

Rifle loaded and chambered with safety on, between my cot and the wall of the tent. Pistol is loaded and sitting on my bag right next to my cot, within reach without having to roll out of bag.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default safety

well I believe in saftey, mine foremost, so yes I do sleep with one in the chamber. Although I do have to say I've never been a good pistol shot so I don't carry a hand gun at all (another safety issue for me, don't want to shoot a hunting partner by accident). The rifle is always close to my sleeping bag and on safe. Although I have woken up and held it I'm glad I've never been put to the test of using half awake.

I usually carry my 500 mag even while rifle hunting. No loaded rifle in the tent. Loaded pistol? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I have my trusty 'ol 30.06 chambered and pointing at the tent door (cause you know thats where the bear will tear through the tent!). I keep it between me and the tent wall so there won't be any tripping on it.
    Bears don't care about a door acess or don't understand. We have had bears tear the wall open to our food storage. Then leave the wall open so they shouldn't do more damage, but they have returned and tore out another wall to get in. All they accomplished was making a new acess to the same building.

Sleeping loaded - no. Magazine loaded - yes. I practice and use my guns enough to always be able to load into the chamber without having to think about the operation.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I have my trusty 'ol 30.06 chambered and pointing at the tent door (cause you know thats where the bear will tear through the tent!).
    I guess my sarcasm wasn't as obvious as it should have been....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default sleeping loaded....

Interesting! For me, it all depends on the circumstances.....yes, I've been disturbed out of a sound sleep by bears (I actually kicked one in the nose when he stuck his nose against the wall of the tent). I do like sleeping with a loaded gun nearby; prefer a pistol in the confines of a tent. We've camped in our car, tents, lean-to's, poncho hootches and I even spent the night laying on the ground at 7500' on a sheep hunt without the benefit of firewood, a tent or a sleeping bag....but that's another story! My favorite "woke by something large and furry" was back in 1975 and my partner and I were running a trapline on the Middle Fork of the Chulitna towards Cantwell. Our snowmachines were typical of the era; a Merc 340 and an old SnoJet, so breaking trail usually ended up with one of us on snowshoes and the other following on a sled. It took quite a bit of effort to run a 20+ mile line on weekends, so we built a lean-to and camped out. We'd had a particularly interesting day with a wolverine that took 5 rounds from a 10/22, then we hung it up in a tree to pick up on our way back....4 hours later, we stopped back and as I tossed it in the basket on the back of my sled, he opened his eyes and growled at me. I was carrying a 20 gauge for ptarmigan and rolled off the sled ready to blow the wolverine to pieces at close range. We ended up popping it in the ear with a .22 mag pistol and we were both shook up that they were so tough! Anyway, we crawled in the sleeping bags under a really bright sky with the moon and stars....it was a bit crispy, around -35 as I recall, but not too uncomfortable. Went to sleep dreaming about monster wolverine with armor plating. Woke up around two in the morning with a shadow moving about 5 feet from my face and my partner making sounds like, "Shoo, get out of here!"....all I thought of was WOLVERINE! and WHERE IS MY SHOTGUN??.....all ended well as a big old porky waddled off in the woods, but I really didn't sleep all that well after that. And, I've always been more comfortable sleeping loaded since then. Funny, eh?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast