Thread: New Member

Smile New Member

My name is Pete and I must have caught myself day dreaming about boating and specifically canoeing, while looking out the window at the frozen Arctic Ocean here in Barrow this evening. I work on the North Slope each month and also throughout the rest of Alaska, about 3 out of four weeks and commute home most weekends. I saw the site, and gravitated to the canoeing forum.

I have an early 70's Grumman 19 ft. freighter and an early 80's 15'9'' Grumman sq. stern. Unfortunately, they are both down in the WA Cascade foothills, which is home. Also have a Wooldridge XtraPlus jet boat with an outboard jet, and a 16X54 Willie drifter. The last double ender I had was a Mad River Explorer. I love small boats in rivers, lakes, and the salt.

I grew up in New England and E. Canada with Grummans beginning about 40 years ago, in the Adirondacks, Algonquin Provincial Park, and Quebec, where my dear old departed dad was from. These days, I use the Grummans for summer camping trips in Idaho, where we have a cabin, as well as for waterfowling in the fall.

I used to be able to heave the big freighter single handedly up on top of the tall four wheel drive trucks I have, but that aint working out so well these days (turned 50 last yr...) and have finally settled on a canoe trailer instead that I am picking up the weekend after next.

I will be interested in seeing pics of others Grumman's, especially with motor jack plates and other such stuff on some of the other threads.

Default Welcome to the forum

You must have some great experiences to share .
    Would love to hear about them all.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years.