Thread: What kind of Synthetic motor oil?

Default What kind of Synthetic motor oil?

I am looking to run synthetic oil in my Yamaha 4 stroke 50hp.I was gonna use Amzoil 10w30 marine but cant find it.Would the regular car oil be the same or should I look a different route?

I was looking into changing my engine over.

Check to make sure it will not void your warranty.

I also read the automotive synthetic oil lacks the corrosive preventing agents that the marine rated oils have.

Good Luck

There is a Amsoil dealer in Palmer, I am sure they would have what you need.
    I use Amsoil in everything I own, (cept the lawnmower...HA), I dont know if its worth it or not? Its hard to judge. If it makes you feel like your treating your motor right......well I guess thats worth something.

I would use the marine rated stuff, how diffrent it is I couldnt guess?
    As stid said I am sure there are some diffrences or additive package.

The clincher for synthetics for me personally, is from using it in several work trucks with 175-200K that I bought used and switched over to synthetics, none of them burn any oil yet, driven by multipule drivers, "hey its the company rig, it goes twice as fast as my truck"................
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default +1 for Amsoil

Amsoil is great, personal truck has over 200k w/no issues. Family vehicles that have run over 300k without any motor related problems either.
    Been running it in everything, wheelers, boats, trucks, sleds, equipment, etc...
    BK

mobil 1 synthetic would be next best to the amsoil. with synthetic you will run smoother save a little on gas and can extend your changes somewhat longer if you want.

Have run synthetic mobile 1 since the 40hp suzuki was broken in.
    Still has darn near new compression numbers.
    Motor was new in 2000 and has a bunch of long trips and lots of hrs fishing.

On the smaller motors you can tell when the oil is getting dirty as you will lose a bit of performance.
    But you have to really pay attention or know your motor.

Thanks guys,I ended up going with Royal Purple in both motor and lower unit.I'll see how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by coues32 View Post
    Thanks guys,I ended up going with Royal Purple in both motor and lower unit.I'll see how it does.
    Thats a good oil also.
    Would be running it if it was available out here.

Default Mobil 1

I run Mobil 1 in everything (including the mower), and have never been so impressed with oil samples like what this oil delivers. It is a superior lubricant good in any temperature extremes (always use the proper weights). I have run Mobil 1 in my Duramax since its first oil change, in my Volvo 370 since its first change, and I have become about as loyal to this brand as is possible over the past decade or so and won't even consider using anything else.

I would trust this motor oil in absolutely any motor on the road, the lake and out to sea.

Default chg interval ?

Bamf, what kind of change intervals are you doing on the Volvo? Just curious, I have a 6CTA Cummins that I'm thinking of switching over,

Just bought a Saab 9-3 (2.0 ltr Turbo),with 20,000 miles on it, All Synthetic Mobil 1, so I put fresh oil in and put 3000 Alcan miles on, sent in the sample and the guys said, "this engine shows No Sign Of Wear" they recommended I stretch change interval from 3000mi to 5000!!

Pretty impressive, so wondering about my Cummins marine engine (w/5000hrs on)now maybe I should switch over?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

with modern cars no need to change at 3000 miles as that is a scam from the oil change outfits. go at least 5000 with regular oil and 10000 with synthetic.

Default I guess...

Yeah, I know that is what they say but, from my (somewhat limited) knowledge of what Oil does for the engine, (last Saab 900 has some 270,000 miles on ODO and still purrs on Castrol 5w-30 at 2500 mi chg's), and the relatively low cost of an oil change compared to the investment in the Engine itself, there's no way I would go 10,000 miles between oil changes.
    Fresh Oil is WAY too big a deal in the whole picture of things.

Shoot, the cost of fresh oil and filter is less than a couple weeks of gas these days, I haven't been convinced of the Synthetic thing that well yet. What are you Marine engine guys doing with that stuff?? Really want to know hours #'s

If there is a scam I would think it would be in trying to get you to wear out your $10-20,000 engine investment versus trying to pry $30 out of my wallet a couple of times a year
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Bamf, what kind of change intervals are you doing on the Volvo? Just curious, I have a 6CTA Cummins that I'm thinking of switching over,

Just bought a Saab 9-3 (2.0 ltr Turbo),with 20,000 miles on it, All Synthetic Mobil 1, so I put fresh oil in and put 3000 Alcan miles on, sent in the sample and the guys said, "this engine shows No Sign Of Wear" they recommended I stretch change interval from 3000mi to 5000!!

Pretty impressive, so wondering about my Cummins marine engine (w/5000hrs on)now maybe I should switch over?

Watch for oil consumption using Mobil and Cummins. Just an educated observation. If you would like to give Amsoil a shot let me know. I have 15w-40 Marine/Diesel oil on bulk.

Coues32,
    Here is the link to the oil you were looking for......http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/wct.aspx available in 10w-30 and 10w-40.
    Note that the RP is not cerified by NMMA for use in marine engines. They use the same oil for car engines and then recommned it for marine engines. I am not trying to make an oil thread nor a huge debate just pointing out the facts. I put this link in another post but here it is again. Guys it's only 28 pages but well worth the reading....... http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf. I know it's about motorcycle oil but it shows what Amsoil is doing with their oils and how things test out.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I start the season with a fresh change of 5W-40, then go 150 hours to the next change. The oil samples always recommend I go to 200 hours, which is also allowed under the Volvo warranty, but I'm a total stickler for keeping fresh oil in a turbocharged diesel, so I stick with my 150 hour intervals. No abnormal wear has ever been reported in the sample, and I've had the boat for two years now.

I run 75W/90 Mobil 1 in the drive unit, but will go 300 hours on an oil change there. And as a side note, I have never used Amsoil, though I know some who are perfectly happy with it. But I have never burned any Mobil 1 during the change interval despite what some may claim. My pickup doesn't burn it either.