Thread: Valdez Halibut

Default Valdez Halibut

Always go south for halibut. Would like to try north this year. Any info on halibut out of Valdez would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for your secret spot, just some suggestions, distances, etc.

Thanks,

Perk

Default Valdez

Always go south for halibut. Would like to try north this year. What are you talking about? The way Valdez is set up you will be heading South.

you have to go out 25 to 30 miles

Default Don't understand either.

Any water is south of Valdez. You DO NOT have to go farther than the Arm if you have the patience. My biggest halibut in Port Valdez is 147-149 pounds. I helped another guy with one that was 168.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Always go south for halibut. Would like to try north this year. What are you talking about? The way Valdez is set up you will be heading South.
    I think he's saying that he normally fishes out of ports that are further south (i.e. Homer, Seward, etc), and now he is going to try Valdez. Perkak - can you clarify your question?

Didn't seem that difficult of a question. South - Homer, Seward. North - Valdez. Must be guys from east or west.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkak View Post
    Didn't seem that difficult of a question. South - Homer, Seward. North - Valdez. Must be guys from east or west.
    Actually, your initial question made it appear that you normally go fishing south out of Valdez, and now you were thinking of piloting your boat north to scope out some new fishing grounds. Unless it were on a trailer, that isn't happening. Valdez isn't exactly that far north when talking on an Alaskan forum either.

Default So back to halibut out of valdez...

Like Dave said and others will say, you don't have to go way out, but it depends on whether you want to take time to find a spot closer in...closer in can be before the narrows (Valdez Harbor) or outside it in Jacks Bay for instance. Most of the charter fleet goes WAY out (Montague, Hitchenbrook, or out to the gulf) because they know their chances are better to fill their clients limits and maybe with bigger fish. But, lots of private boats, including mine, spend a lot of time looking for good halibut halibut habitat on charts and their depth sounders, and then fish them and do pretty well. Bligh Reef and Knowles Head are two well known favorite spots, so I'm not giving away any secrets mentioning them. They are about 45-50 miles out.

Meanwhile there is outstanding silver fishing out of Valdez, or right next to it for that matter...