Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Trail Cam is everyone using?

Default What Trail Cam is everyone using?

I am looking to buy a cam for my site this year and was wondering which one to look at and which to avoid. Just by looking at most ratings its hard to know. IR or Flash? I figure since it really doesnt get dark for that long it wouldnt matter but again not sure.

Moultrie for 3 years now. It's a flash model. The bears don't mind the flash at all.

I use a stealth cam and wildview. The stealth cam takes better pics. Both are selectable between flasf ad no flash.

Cuddebacks (7) and Moultrie

While the bears don't mind the flash, the IR is definately needed until June at least. Even with the long days of sunlight, it gets pretty dusky into June which triggers the IR on the carmeras to kick in...which really helps.

Default Moultrie 5.0 Outfitter

I have the camo model for 149.00,got it for 100 on sale at cabelas. I like it (dont buy the ones with a viewer ,your digital camera that you already own takes care of the viewing) I would look at the cuddeback flash model for 199.00 you can set it to take a photo every 30 seconds as opposed to 60 seconds on mine ( i had a grizzly with cubs come in and wish it would have taken more photos) they are alot of fun, I had one stolen so I wont pay over 200 for one. I would rather have two cheaper ones than one expensive one. I set them up on moose trails as well-great fun

Default moultrie

Just got a new moultrie 5.0 eager to try it out, before I was using the wildview was very happy with it the first season but last year it took really crappy pictures and eventually died the last week of the season.

Thanks for all the info. I think I will look toward the 200 or under just because I would hate it if I had my camera stolen. Good Luck to everyone this year. I hope to have my first bear this year.

Post Check out the Bushnell Trophy Cam

I have used Stealth Cams for years, however, I recently have splurged and picked up a Bushnell Trophy Cam and am impressed with it. It's the smallest trail cam I've ever purchased, but loaded with features. It's an 8MP camera (adjustable to 3 or 5MP) with video capability and a 2" color view screen to view your pictures. It'll take up to a 16G SD card. I have an 8G SDHC in mine now which will hold 7571 pic's at the current pic quality setting I have it at. No more swapping cards. I can't wait to get it out and running on the stand.

Here's the link if you want to check it out:

http://www.bushnell.com/products/tra...as/trophy-cam/

Anyhow, the first thing I look for when purchasing a trail cam is if anyone makes a bear safe for it. It protects your camera and acts as a deterrent for theft as you place a lock on it. Even with the use of gloves I seem to loose an unprotected camera here and there to curious bears. I personally would want a quiet cam with a quick trigger speed that has the IR (no flash). Storage media and battery life are pretty high up on the list as well.

Just my two cents though. Good luck to you.

I still got a brand new I 590 (Stealth Cam) that i haven't been able to use. Hopefullly this year i'll be able to reap the benefits of a trail cam..

I just picked up a cuddieback IR to replace my bushnell IR I had last year until someone else decided they needed it more than me. I bought the metal bear box and modified it a bit to make sure that doesnt happen again. I am going to pick up a second and probably third throughout the season though and not sure if I am going to stick with cuddeback or try something else.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default cuddeback

cuddeback hands down!!! Have had moultre,bushnell,cuddeback & recon.The cuddeback are the best. they take alot better quality picture.If your going to take pics you may as well get good quality ones.

Quote Originally Posted by akwolverine View Post
    cuddeback hands down!!! Have had moultre,bushnell,cuddeback & recon.The cuddeback are the best. they take alot better quality picture.If your going to take pics you may as well get good quality ones.

All day long...

No comment on the stealth cam i see, is this a bad sign?

**This is my FIRST trail cam

my older cuddeback works great
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I used a couple stealth cams for a research project I did a few weeks ago. It was kinda confusing the way they had it set up to play around with the options - the wildview was much simpler. The stealth cam was alot bulkier than the wildview one too. I didn't really notice a huge difference between picture quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgefan01 View Post
    No comment on the stealth cam i see, is this a bad sign?

**This is my FIRST trail cam

Quote Originally Posted by B&C 04 View Post
    All day long...
    And twice on Sunday.....

I got me one of those cheap wildview game cams, its was like $70 or so. Seems to work alright, not the best quality photographs but good enough for me. Used it in washington this past december for deer hunting and set it up in the backyard at home. Wish I could afford a better one but this one will do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf2025 View Post
    I used a couple stealth cams for a research project I did a few weeks ago. It was kinda confusing the way they had it set up to play around with the options - the wildview was much simpler. The stealth cam was alot bulkier than the wildview one too. I didn't really notice a huge difference between picture quality.
    Thanks for the feedback. I was a bit upset when i seen Cabelas had a IR on sale for 100.00 in this past catalog. I guess we'll see how it handles the AK climate and furry friends..

Hopefully will be putting it to test this weekend

Cuddeback IR --

Great pictures.
    Simplicity.
    Long battery life.

Taylor

Default Cuddeback IR

with the bear proof cover! Been tested alot! Great cam batteries lasted all season and I had thousands of pictures and videos. Here's a few inside the mouth and one day time pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast