Thread: Early Unit 14 Moose Bow Hunt

Default Early Unit 14 Moose Bow Hunt

I have met only one person who has has harvested a bull moose during the Aug 10-17th bow only season in unit 14. I am debating on spending time hunting these moose or making a trip north to the haul road for caribou during this same time. Curious as to others success rates hunting unit 14 bow only. Have any of you out there harvested an early bow only bull?

What I would suggest is trying to scout and pattern some moose in late July/early August. The area of 14A that I've hunted a bit is pretty predictable. The same group of moose are on the same edge of the swamp every morning. If I found a legal moose or two and saw him more than once over the course of a few mornings, that's where I'd be on opening morning. If not, head north. Your chances of success are probably a bit higher on the Haul Road, but a moose can potentially provide a lot more meat. Personally speaking, I enjoy the Haul Road caribou hunt more, but the early moose season is a good option when I can't take a week off to head north.

We've taken 5 early season bulls in 4 seasons. I have 3, my son 1, and my buddy 1. Though not unit 14, but early season none the less. Longest hunt was 3 days. Then we sometimes head up the Haul rd for 'bou in late August. Get out and scout like Brian said. They're out there, just walk out there, find them and watch from a distance as best you can. They're in summer mode and very very predictable. When the velvet comes off, then the game plans start to change a bit. Good luck.

Get out and do both, just go to the haul road in late August. There might be a little less hunting pressure around that time with the 40 mile hunt starting later.