Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my Bear hide back, dog not pleased

Default Got my Bear hide back, dog not pleased

Moderators feel free to move, just need some thoughts. Not hunting specific but close......

I picked up my bear hide from Alpha Furs. They did a very nice job, very pleased

Problem is my dog is not a fan, we fleshed and processed in the garage and she would not go in there for at least a week.

Anyway, brought the box home and just kept it boxed outside and let her come and smell it, not a happy camper, plenty of barking then wanting to go back upstairs, did not even want to just take it out, trying to ease her into it. She has smelled and come into contact with live bears,,,,,

Its tough, she really is a super good pup (black lab) I think its great she does not like the smell of bears, she runs with my wife, its nice to know,,,,,,,,but how the heck am I going to be able to display the thing? At the moment I think she would come unglued if I just whip it out.

It's currently in my reloading room, I figure I'll let her keep smelling it from the door??

The wife is not a huge fan of it either, granted she does not mind eating them she just does not need a visual, need help, the dog and wife are ganging up on me

Any ideas?

Just got my own place, got one wall left 'bear', ifin' ya need a place for it!

I remember when I brought mine home, dogs wigged out pretty good for a while, but after a couple weeks of it on the wall they chilled, ex wife was soso on it as well. Now I don't have to worry about any of it! The 'mancave' looks great to boot!

give em some time, they'll come around.

got any pics?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

ha ! our dachound don't like them either... both will get used to it... keep the claws and ears out of reach of the dog...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Trophies in the house

Are always an issue..but believe me the dog will eventually get use to it...got a yellow lab myself...went crazy when I hung a deer on the wall..still watches it from time to time..same goes for the 400lb hog head on the wall, She will sleep right below it now...

As far as the wife is concerned...either talk her into going on a hunt and baggin one to get mounted for herself.. make sure it is bigger than yours...or just put it where you want it...she will get use to it as well.....eventually that is...would not have allowed you to spend the money in the first place if she didnt already except the fact of a Bear Rub in the house...lol

Enjoy brother...we all have had this happen at one time or another...just wait til the trophy room starts growing..then you will have to buy another house or change wives..
    DH01

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post

Enjoy brother...we all have had this happen at one time or another...just wait til the trophy room starts growing..then you will have to buy another house or change wives..
    DH01
    Bingo! Don't have that problem anymore!

Thanks guys. I do think it's more funny than anything else. I have my man cave and that's where it will most likely go. I have horn mounts just no shoulder mounts or hides. It does have a decent fresh from the tanner smell so hopefully it will offgas. Having my buddies from the lower 48 does not help. Need to get it mailed off

just thoght I'd share seeing we are all waiting for the draws. Figured I was not the only one who owned a dog

Default I've seen a products

that mask or kill odors supposedly. I'd let the sun work it over ,treat the leather so it doesn't shrink with the heat . ma be hit it with pine sall or a cleaner used in the home . If it is a strong aroma to start with , as it disapares , if there is some residue of the bear smell t dog may grow acustoned to it .
    on the other hand for the sake of you wifes safety and the dog's alertness to the bear smell, it might be best to leave the fir put away. Having it in the house might tend to desencitize the dogs awareness to the bear in the wild.

Default Dog freaked when lifesize blackie came home

I did not even think about what my dog would do when he noticed the lifesize blackie in the house. I had placed the blackie on the floor behind a breakfast nook. My Jack Russell came around the corner and I had never saw my dog back pedal so fast. After about 1,000 back pedaling steps in about 1/2 a second and only moving about 1 inch backwards, my dog growled. He then approached slowly--sniffed for about five minutes, and has never paid any attention since.

My dog "got over" the bear in the living room quickly. Yours will too.

As for your wife, I have no suggestions. My wife hunts with me and enjoys the memories of the hunt in the house.

I'm glad my wife approves of what I do. She is excited for any and all mounts that I bring home. I...I mean we, don't have a bear hide or mount yet, so it's pretty exciting to see what the spring will hold. I can't wait to see what my pointer will do if I bring a bear home.
    My wife has plenty of her ****e around the house (i.e. flowery decor) so if she ever did give me any lip, I'll just tell her that I wear the pants...nuff said.
    Where's the pics???

Ya, she don't mind it on the plate, but on the wall.........., but hey, she does let me tromp around all summer and fall, so I'm not really complaining. And I have carved a small piece of the house out for myself (hows that for trying to get a grip on my man card! sad really)

The dog, I'm sure will get over it, I think it will smell less over time. I never cleaned the old pack I packed it out with, and she does not pick up on that anymore. She might not lay at my feet while I reload though. Kind of funny all in all, love the story about the full sized bear mount above!

Just got it tanned right now, and getting the skull cleaned, not much of a picture but I'll see what I can do

31 hours till draw time! (I hope)

noticed the same behavior in my golden. when she was a young pup we did russian lakes trail with the family. At least 100 yds before we past bear sign she came absolutely unglued and switched into protection mode. Something about bear scent feeds right into the depths of their brains (PREDATOR!) as it does mine, so I can imagine if it smelled a couple hundred times stronger how I would act...

When I took my golden to visit friends with a brownie mount a few weeks later the same thing happened before we even got in the door, switched into protective mode and insisted on being between me and the open front door. Thought it was just the new people, though golden's are notriously friendly, but it became clear that it was the bear in the living room when she attempted to tear it off the wall a few minutes later. Ended up putting her outside where she barked at the house for the next hour.

the scent struck a primal nerve in her, that's for sure. Best bear alarm a guy could have.

I think your pup will probably eye it's new big brother suspiciously for the rest of its life but eventually will get used to the company. Don't think the smell will ever fade from a dog's nose however. they aren't stupid.

Default funny

That's great! My golden was also not a big fan of my full body brown bear mount when I first moved it into the house. She wouldn't look it in the eye and her back legs started shaking pretty badly as she leaned forward to give it a sniff. Took her a couple weeks of barking in the middle of the night as she would walk by the new "intruder," but she finally chilled. Now she gets jealous if I comb out the mount and will curl up near it at times.

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    Any ideas?
    Get a cat. My wife's cat simply laid down on my bear rug when I laid it out on the bed for the wife to approve.

Default Same Boat

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Just got my own place, got one wall left 'bear', ifin' ya need a place for it!

I remember when I brought mine home, dogs wigged out pretty good for a while, but after a couple weeks of it on the wall they chilled, ex wife was soso on it as well. Now I don't have to worry about any of it! The 'mancave' looks great to boot!

give em some time, they'll come around.

got any pics?
    Not going into details, but I now have my own mancave and am in the process of gathering my trophies for the man wall. The one head I really wanted on there is now gone.........Looking for another trophy
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

It's easier to get another dog AND another wife than it is to get another Bear!!!!!
    Be sure the wife understands that.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Talking so - does your wife

snarl & growl at the bear hide too? Might be best to make her sleep on top of the hide for a couple of nights to help her get over it. Make sure she's muzzled - don't want her too tear it apart. Or you might want to compare it to any wedding photos she has displayed around the house. Might also want to have a lawyer on speed dial if you decide to follow my advice.
    Re the dog - take it to a friend (who also has a dog & some mounts) where the friend's dog either ignores or at least accepts the mounts. visit a while & let the dogs visit in the room with the mounts. either your dog will start to get over his fear or your budddies dog will get paranoid.
    years ago when we first brought a deer head into the house, our lab was very wary of it. I think he didn't like the way it "stared" at him. he finally accepted it, but it was still fun to tell him, as he lay on the floor that, "Mr. Deer is watching you." He'd slowly raise his head & roll his eyes to confirm that indeed he was being watched. the current lab came to the house with the rugs & mounts already on the walls 7 he could care less.
    Gary

Get rid of your sissy dog.
    Now what ?

Mountain Man:
    Quote: so if she ever did give me any lip, I'll just tell her that I wear the pants...nuff said. Quote.

That would NOT work in my house!!! Although, I don't have problems with mounts. Begged my husband to get me a lynx this winter and now it's at the taxidermist. Couldn't wait for that bear rug to get done and now it's on the wall. Actually, I pick where the mounts go around here!!! If my husband gives me any lip about that, I'm taking his hunting passes away. LOL J/K

Not sure what to offer for advice as far as the dog and wife go, except to just let them get used to them. The dog may get used to it before the wife though. When my husband first brought home his whitetail mount, our super friendly great dane wasn't sure of it, but after he smelled it a bit, decided it may be friendly and then wanted to play..had to get it off the floor fast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    It's easier to get another dog AND another wife than it is to get another Bear!!!!!
    Be sure the wife understands that.

But when the alimony payments start, he might wish he were just eaten by a bear to end it all anyways.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

All I can say, is I'm glad the wife does not read the forum, funny stuff.

I've tried to get her shooting as a way to maybe ease her into it. We camp and fish all summer, she loves the outdoors, and is great even when the weathers not, loves when I bring meat home. Just one sticker there as it pertains to the mounts, but hey, I got my 12X12 man cave for the bears, as I (hopefully) add more antler type mounts they will migrate to more prominent areas. Got to try to hang onto the wife, and I will leave before the dog (she is a great pup, best dog I've ever had)

25 and change,, hours to draw time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast