Thread: Found a gun

Default Found a gun

to fit the Ruger 77 long action select walnut stock that Richards Micro-fit inadvertently sent me when I ordered the same for a short action 77.

I have a new stainless Hawkeye in 35 Whelen on the way. I've loaded for but never owned a Whelen before unless maybe I had one pass through as trading stock. That fact alone is reason enough and it was priced right.

My wife watched over my shoulder as the auction came to an end and said well since your birthday is coming up this will have to be concidered your present from all of us. I said fine dear besides I already have 500 ft of garden hose and 4 of them things what rolls up the hose.

I am going after some loading components tomorrow. What powder/bullet combo's should I give consideration to? This gun will get used little but hunting big stuff would be the primary thought in regards to reloading!

Thanks EKC

P.S. I got the smartest tax dude in the world. It cost me $400 to get my taxes done but he saved me and or recouped thousands of $'s that were overlooked the last few years.....screw H&R block and their commercial...get a CPA and not some guy figuring taxes for something to do until spring when his real job starts again.

try to pick up some speer 250 or hornady 250gr bullets and varget powder. RE15 is another good one. THe whelen doens't really need premium bullets to do what it does, the modest velosity and heavy bullets do the job very well. I like the 250gr speer bullet as it is cheap and performs very well at the 2400-2500fps velosity window.

Ditto what Thebear said except unless I was hunting brown bear I would use the Sierra 225gr btspt. You can up the velocity to 2600+ and flatten the trajectory some while still carring enough bullet weight for moose,elk, deer black bear and such. Still low enough vel for cup and core bullets. A very good caliber for those not smitten with magnumitis.

Hey, great cartridge and good rifle choice.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS